Which stance should I go with?

cehuff

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Background info:I have wrestled for 14 out of the 18 years that I have been alive. I started the sport as a left leg lead but would take all of my shots as a righty. It took me about 6 years for my coach to realize that learned stand up the wrong way. After this I learned the correct way and since then have been comfortable using both stances, though I prefer left. I am getting into MMA and was curious on which lead leg I should use? It felt natural to fight orthodox but I know that learning southpaw is what typically should happen with lefty’s.

Background info:I have wrestled for 14 out of the 18 years that I have been alive. I started the sport as a left leg lead but would take all of my shots as a righty. It took me about 6 years for my coach to realize that learned stand up the wrong way. After this I learned the correct way and since then have been comfortable using both stances, though I prefer left. I am getting into MMA and was curious on which lead leg I should use? It felt natural to fight orthodox but I know that learning southpaw is what typically should happen with lefty’s.
Relocating this. You should get better responses here.

My inclination is to keep you in your stronger wrestling stance. Eventually you’ll be able to integrate switching stances.

You’ll be fighting a lot of right handed guys so get your single leg and trail leg shots down pat

70% southpaw to work left side of brain. 20% orthadox because that's what you're comfortable with and 10% Karate stance because.

You've never mentioned if you were right-handed or left-handed. That's crucial inf

My inclination is to keep you in your stronger wrestling stance. Eventually you’ll be able to integrate switching stances.

You’ll be fighting a lot of right handed guys so get your single leg and trail leg shots down pat
I am a lefty

I am a lefty
Ok but it wasn't clear when you said it. I quote: "I started the sport as a left leg lead but would take all of my shots as a righty."

This quote means that for you, "righty" means right leg lead. Therefore people will assume that "lefty" means left leg lead instead of left-handed. That's why it was confusing.

If you're a southpaw that can wrestle out of both stances then just fight southpaw. Your standup will benefit from it.

Ok but it wasn't clear when you said it. I quote: "I started the sport as a left leg lead but would take all of my shots as a righty."

This quote means that for you, "righty" means right leg lead. Therefore people will assume that "lefty" means left leg lead instead of left-handed. That's why it was confusing.

If you're a southpaw that can wrestle out of both stances then just fight southpaw. Your standup will benefit from it.
In wrestling right handed people normally have their right leg in front. Hence his terminology is opposite of striking

Back