Who are the 4 best physical comedic actors of all-time?

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
Harold Lloyd.

Lee Evans.

Chaplin

Carrey

I loved Harold Lloyd as a kid too, his movies always seemed to be on TV.
There's something to be said for having to find entertainment in only a few channels which kids just don't have these days. With more choice I likely would have missed out on greats like Harold Lloyd, Ski Sunday, Kick Start etc.

All those old school black and white comedians really sold the prat falls. Keaton, Chaplin, and Loyd really were an entirely different kind of actor / comedian. They did things no modern performer would consider. The Three Stooges were all about cartoon violence, very physical stuff. I'm surprised at how little love Lucile Ball is getting. Doubly so for Jerry Lewis.

No Bill Murray or Vince Vaughn? Blasphemy!

say what you will overall but no comedian comes close to the trifecta that is old school/step brothers/Ricky Bobby that will Ferrell has on his resume.

Mixing up or conflating ‘Comedian’, and ‘Comedic Actor’, is a mistake I believe — albeit a common one — because they are two very different fields, two entirely separate categories.

For proof of this: just look at Chris Rock, Comedian (a master), & Chris Rock, Comedy Actor (a shitshow).

So you want me to change it from comedian to comedic actor?

I picked Carrey, Chaplin, Sellers, and Stooges, but there are more that could be on the list. I understand it can only be so long, etc. I used to love watching the Carol Burnett Show as a kid. Carol and Tim Conway had some great physical comedy on that show. I would put them up in the top tier, even though I didn't pick them here. I am sure if I thought about it more, I could come up with some others, but I am kind of tired. Like, Benny Hill. He is another one.

Edit: I am switching Ritter out for Chaplin, because I didn't really see him when I skimmed through the list the first time.

Back