Who deserves more criticism for inactivity over past several years : Stipe or Jones?

You're burying your head in the sand regarding the worth (and standing) of the two fighters each each has faced ... hiding behind "technical details."

100% of the MMA community rates DC over Reyes;
100% of the MMA community rates Ngannou over Gane.

Jones didn't even have the balls to face Ngannou ... and only "became a heavyweight" the moment Ngannou left the UFC (after hiding for 3 years).

Get real dude.

Jones's was set to fight Francis, UFC offered Francis $8m to fight Jones (from Francis own mouth) and he turned it down to go box.

Can you help me make a decision @Luthien
crying-sad.gif

@Jon's Drug Dealer is to blame <{nope}>

He's right though.

Fighters fight for what? Cos of the money.

If they dont need the money,they dont need to fight.

If they wanna be the champ they SHOULD need to fight,but if they already WERE the champ,the motivation is less,esp since they can seemingly get a title shot just by asking for one if they wait long enough. That is where the fault lies with the UFC. It's actually HARDER for Stipe to fight instead of just wait for them to offer him a title shot for nothing. I dont BLAME him for doing that though. If they let me do that, I would do that. What is the motivation for Stipe to take a non title fight at this point?
I disagree.

Sure they can leave the sport at anytime, they're a human being and it's their right. But bringing it up in response to OP's question is just a blanket statement that moves the goalpost and kills any discussion.

The goal of this forum is to discuss stuff from a "sport" perspective.

Of course Jones and Stipe can leave anytime, people dont have a problem with that. They have a problem with them holdingup the division for a meaningless fight. And the money narrative doesnt work with Jones.. if you're champ and you don't defend, you will be held accountable despite any money dynamics

# of fights over the past 4 years:

Stipe 2
-vs DC 8/15/20
-vs Ngannou 3/27/21

Jones 2
-vs Reyes 2/8/20
-vs Gane 3/4/23

Who deserves more criticism for inactivity over the past 4 years: Stipe or Jones?
Only 1 of those options remained on the sidelines for years in his prime while ducking Ngannou.

# of fights over the past 4 years:

Stipe 2
-vs DC 8/15/20
-vs Ngannou 3/27/21

Jones 2
-vs Reyes 2/8/20
-vs Gane 3/4/23

Who deserves more criticism for inactivity over the past 4 years: Stipe or Jones?
What kind of question is this? Stipe actually retired while Jones roided himself to the gills for 3 years.

Hmm…

Stipe is literally saving lives when not fighting

Jonathan usually misses time for illegally using performance enhancing drugs, and getting caught.

I disagree.

Sure they can leave the sport at anytime, they're a human being and it's their right. But bringing it up in response to OP's question is just a blanket statement that moves the goalpost and kills any discussion.

The goal of this forum is to discuss stuff from a "sport" perspective.

Of course Jones and Stipe can leave anytime, people dont have a problem with that. They have a problem with them holdingup the division for a meaningless fight. And the money narrative doesnt work with Jones.. if you're champ and you don't defend, you will be held accountable despite any money dynamics
They do what the UFC allows them to do. It's that simple. Jones has no reason to relinquish the belt and give up millions. He doesnt care about the division or it being held up,and why should he? Neither do the UFC.

Also, I just realized that neither fighter has a victory over a current relevant/T5 ranked fighter in a looooooong time.

Stipe's W's vs someone who is still relevant/active in UFC: none
Jones' W's vs someone who is still relevant/active in UFC: 3: Gane (#2 HW), Reyes (#14 LHW), Smith (#10 HW)

Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Seeing as how inactive they are that's not surprising at all. Their fights have always been vs the top guys at the time, it's not Jones' fault Reyes dropped off hard after they fought or Stipe's fault DC retired.

Stipe's not holding up a belt. He's retired as far as I'm concerned, and might come out of retirement and lose for another big paycheck, but he's not the one holding anything up.

bro theyr like the MMA GOATS
these guys fought the toughest competition in their prime absoulute killers

this is just 1 fight why people cry all the time lmao

They do what the UFC allows them to do. It's that simple. Jones has no reason to relinquish the belt and give up millions. He doesnt care about the division or it being held up,and why should he? Neither do the UFC.
For sure.

And fans have the right to dislike it. Jones's intrinsic motovations doesnt invalidate fans' feelings toward his inactivity.

Reactions: HHJ
I don’t agree with criticizing Jones for that period of inactivity before he won the Heavyweight title as he was not holding up any titles or divisions. His current long period of not fighting while holding a belt should be criticized.

Stipe was fairly inactive during his reigns at times, particularly during his second reign. He’s also sat on the sidelines for long periods of time to get title shots, which should also be criticized, though not the degree of a champion not defending.

Jones was a long time and dominant champ who willingly vacated his title to move up a division. Why should he be blamed? If anything Stipe deserves criticism for sitting out this long after losing his title in the cage and is only coming back for another title fight coming off of a loss.

Back