Who else here is under the impression that Rockhold will dominate Weidman?

Inverse

Ginger Belt
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
I honestly just don't see how Weidman is going to win this fight, his only advantage is offensive wrestling imo. If TRT Vitor landed the spinning kick he did on Rockhold to Weidman, he'd be out too, I believe the fight between Vitor and Weidman would have gone differently if Vitor was juiced out his nut, gladly the commission put an end to that nonsense though.

Rockhold will butcher him on the feet I think, Weidman will start the fight by just plodding forward looking to land hands and will be eating heavy kicks/ counters. He will then end getting pressured himself for most of the fight with his chin getting him through it I think. If he stays slightly on the outside he will be at a clear disadvantage so I heavily expect him to try pressure early. Rockhold will be more than capable of winning/ nullifying grappling exchanges with Weidman I believe, his BJJ is very, very good. Weidman is fantastic, no doubt about that but I honestly see the belt be changing hands with Weidman getting a beatdown.

My prediction is Luke by UD with a decent chance of a stoppage win.

GIFS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HospitableBouncyLamb.gif

Luke%2BRockhold%2BQuestion%2BMark%2BKicks%2BMichael%2BBisping%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B55%2BUberlandia.gif

113.gif

RashHonestKiskadee.gif

WelloffNewCuttlefish.gif

tumblr_mz9ve4LgGu1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

This is a really interesting and exciting fight. I predict Rockhold TKO's Weidman in the 4th, I can see Chris slowing down in the championship rounds.

Weidman is a really good grappler. I can see him getting the takedown and controlling top position.

Weidman only chance is to box. Rockhold has shitty hands and defense.

No one will dominate in this fight. Close fight with the winner by decision

Can't wait for this fight. No idea who will win this one. Rockhold could definitely take the title if things roll his way.

Two best in the division. Both greatly skilled.

Weidman has more confidence, Rockhold looked bigger which is impressive considering Weidman's a big middle weight.

Rooting for Weidman.

Luke Rockholds iz good, soo good. he be the next championship for sure. The chris is no good. he no championship. he beated old Andersen Silver. Silver is a legend. The Chriss will face a young the Luke. The Luke is good. He pretty and fast and good power. The Luke will win thiz.

It's so hard to bet against Chris, but seeing what Luke did to Machida, if he came out and did that tomorrow, I would not be surprised, though it is unlikely.

I can see it, I think Weidman is great but Rockhold's kicks are incredibly powerful, strong wrestler and some super slick Jiu Jitsu to match.

Got to post this .gif, can watch it over and over again.

ufc-172-rockhold-vs-boetsch1.gif

Dana should just give Rockhold the belt now. Serious.

Agreed TS. If Chris manages to make it to the championship rounds he will be far too tired to put up a fight. I expect a 3rd round TKO by Luke via body kick and follow up punches. Chris has a big weakness to body shots as Demian, Sakara and Lyoto all showed. The fight will be competitive feeling out process for most of the 1st, then itll be all Luke

Luke is the better striker and grappler. He has far better submissions, far better control, far better positionally, far better kicks, better footwork, even in clinch. His TDD is amazing and Jacare and Tim couldnt keep him on his back, Chris wont either. Hes one of the best in MMA at getting back to his feet in a variety of ways. If Chris tries to take him down he will get stuffed, sprawled on, reversed badly into a bad position . Luke is also far more athletic, quicker, conditioning, balance etc. Only advantage Chris has are in takedowns, punching power and boxing and with Lukes distance and TDD they will be nullified. Hes training against bigger pressure fighters in DC and Cain so he wont be walked down either

I totally agree, I think it's going to be one sided. Rockhold will do to Weidman what he did to Machida.

I think that. I'm not sure why I think that.

I can see it, I think Weidman is great but Rockhold's kicks are incredibly powerful, strong wrestler and some super slick Jiu Jitsu to match.

Got to post this .gif, can watch it over and over again.

ufc-172-rockhold-vs-boetsch1.gif

he made tim look like an amateur that fight, he has some solid wins, can't wait for him vs The Chris

Rockhold is going to get crushed.

I could see this fight being a trilogy. Not sure who wins the trilogy though.

Totally agree dude. I think Rockhold is just too skilled for Weidman. I think Rockhold will get the finish or at least be extremely dominant.

Agreed TS. If Chris manages to make it to the championship rounds he will be far too tired to put up a fight. I expect a 3rd round TKO by Luke via body kick and follow up punches. Chris has a big weakness to body shots as Demian, Sakara and Lyoto all showed. The fight will be competitive feeling out process for most of the 1st, then itll be all Luke

Luke is the better striker and grappler. He has far better submissions, far better control, far better positionally, far better kicks, better footwork, even in clinch. His TDD is amazing and Jacare and Tim couldnt keep him on his back, Chris wont either. Hes one of the best in MMA at getting back to his feet in a variety of ways. If Chris tries to take him down he will get stuffed, sprawled on, reversed badly into a bad position . Luke is also far more athletic, quicker, conditioning, balance etc. Only advantage Chris has are in takedowns, punching power and boxing and with Lukes distance and TDD they will be nullified. Hes training against bigger pressure fighters in DC and Cain so he wont be walked down either

& this is what was said about Anderson in both fights!!!! We know how they turned out.....

I think it will be close in the first couple of rounds just because Weidman is so tough but eventually Rockholds body work and conditioning will take over in the championship rounds

Postfight fanboys will jump all over some excuse

Hit the nail on the head. His advantages are only slight while Lukes are very large in comparison as well imo.

I think Rockhold will dominate Weidman. Then again I thought Jacare and Gunni were going to win tonight.

& this is what was said about Anderson in both fights!!!! We know how they turned out.....

Uh no it wasnt. No one gave Anderson an advantage against Chris in anything grappling related and rightfully so

Beat him? Very possible. Although, I think Weidman has only shown vulnerability vs strikers.

Dominate him? I don't see where. Is Rockhold that much of a better grappler or striker? No.

Don't care much for Weidman, but I think his wrestling wins him this fight, if nothing else.

Rockhold will win, not sure about dominate, though.

C'mon Weidman fans giving me shit. Physchodad and Zarra I told you would not be on Sherdog come tomorrow.

No one will dominate in this fight. Close fight with the winner by decision

that's how i see it going as well. though i wouldn't be surprised to see either guy get a finish.

this is good, lets get all the crazies together in one thread, identify them.

if you let rockhold get on top of you, he srsly fucks u up real fast. real impressive. weidman's whack wheel kick was the beginning of the end.

Beat him? Very possible. Although, I think Weidman has only shown vulnerability vs strikers.

Dominate him? I don't see where. Is Rockhold that much of a better grappler or striker? Np.

Rockhold will dominate him standing I think and his BJJ is good enough that Weidman will really have to tread carefully trying to grapple with him.

toss up fight

I disagree.

this is good, lets get all the crazies together in one thread, identify them.

I picked Holm to headkick KO Ronda and Werdum to dominate Cain, I was called crazy. Styles really do make fights and this one is quite obvious to me, Weidman is in trouble. I can't see the future but I can see their styles.

That was a great fight, I picked Weidman going in. Weidman was beating him early, then Rockhold scared him with that guillotine and was crushing him with those kicks, then Weidman came back and had the upper hand. That spinning kick though was ridiculous, I mean seriously WTF, why would he do that in a close championship fight? Beyond that though, Luke is a killer on top though, wow!

Styles really do make fights and this one is quite obvious to me, Weidman is in trouble. I can't see the future but I can see their styles.

What in their styles suggests that Rockhold has something for Weidman? Chris has faced better strikers and people with better striking defense than Luke. He has dominated them.

It won't go to the ground unless Weidman decides so, and Rockhold doesn't have an edge there either. So what exactly in the styles and strengths is there for Luke? Luke has better kicks than Weidman for sure, but when has a good kicker landed anything on Chris? Anderson, Lyoto, Vitor...they are all more dangerous with their kicks than Luke, no? Weidman trains striking against the best kicks in MMA.

I don't see what you're getting at. Luke has shown to be very hittable, Weidmans distance control and timing should make this a pretty one sided beating.

Predicting Ronda to lose on the feet is not a big stretch of imagination, she never was any good in stand up fighting. Weidman has arguably beaten the best strikers in MW history, 3 in a row. And he hasn't even been in any trouble with them.

You called it, dead on! Can't remember if it was this thread or another similar one convinced me. Helped me win $10, thank you! :)

Back