Who is the greatest male MOVIE STAR of 1980 to the present?

Who is the greatest movie star? (1980-Present)

• Brad Pitt

• Harrison Ford

• Will Smith

• Tom Cruise

• Robert Downey Jr.

• Johnny Depp

• Tom Hanks

• Leonardo DiCaprio

• Denzel Washington

• Matt Damon

• Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Dwayne Johnson

• Mel Gibson

• Daniel-Day Lewis

• Christian Bale

• Russell Crowe

• Bruce Willis

• Sylvester Stallone

• Matthew McConaughey

• George Clooney

Results are only viewable after voting.
Was between Hanks, Washington, and DiCaprio.. Hanks edged it.

Oh, I didn't know it's not for guys who were already stars by 1980. That changes everything! Let's see where I missed this vital piece of information in the OP. Here is the OP in its entirety. Would you mind pointing out the part where you clearly stated this crucial detail? here it is:

"Bear in mind, I'm not saying greatest actor. I'm saying greatest movie star.

You can interpret that how you want, but I'd recommend considering a combination of many factors, including acting talent, box office impact, cultural relevance and overall quantity of great films they've appeared in.

By restricting this to 1980 to the present, I'm only including actors who did the vast majority of their best work in that time period. So that means no guys like De Niro or Pacino who did several of their best films in the 70s.

So let's do it: The movie star showdown!"

The closest thing to you saying this is not for guys who were already stars by 1980, as far as I can tell is your statement: "I'm only including actors who did the vast majority of their best work in that time period." However, Clint Eastwood did do the vast majority of his best work in the time period from 1980 to present. I realize that's not an entirely objective statement, as different people have different tastes, but I think the vast majority of Eastwood's best work took place after 1980. I'm not the only person who feels that way either, Not by a long shot. As a matter of fact, What is perhaps the most respected body of people who judge the quality of acting, directing, and all things related to movies is the people who make up the voters who ultimately determine who wins the Academy Awards. Every Academy Award Clint Eastwood has ever been nominated for, every Academy Award Clint Eastwood has ever won is for a movie released after 1980!

Well allow me to apologize for any confusion.

Let me clarify: If you already were recognized as a movie star before 1980, you are not approved for consideration in this discussion.

Well allow me to apologize for any confusion.

Let me clarify: If you already were recognized as a movie star before 1980, you are not approved for consideration in this discussion.

That would technically eliminate Stallone, Harrison Ford and arguably Mel Gibson.

I think of those guys as really having arrived in the 80s. We're they true, bonafide stars before that?!

Rocky, Rocky 2, Mad Max and Star Wars?

Best Actor nomination for Stallone in 1976.

Rocky, Rocky 2, Mad Max and Star Wars?

Best Actor nomination for Stallone in 1976.

I remember watching a documentary about Raiders of the Lost Ark and Spielberg mentioned that Harrison Ford was still thought of as an up-and-comer, rather than a big box office draw.

Maybe you have a point with Stallone. I'd have to think about that.

As for Mel, I definitely think of him as an 80s guy more than a 70s guy.

I remember watching a documentary about Raiders of the Lost Ark and Spielberg mentioned that Harrison Ford was still thought of as an up-and-comer, rather than a big box office draw.

the-kubrick-stare-shining-2.jpg

the-silence-of-the-lambs-hopkins-hannibal-lecter.jpg

In all those cases I think there was potential for them to be more "one and done" actors in terms of stardome with a single iconic role.

Stallone I spose had two big hits in the Rockys but there was definitely a feeling the second was trading on the success of the first and might be played out, Rocky 3 and First Blood in 82 is really what established him as a long term action hero lead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back