Who is the more appreciated champion?

Chalky White

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who is more appreciated, respected and highly regarded by their peers, media and fans between Stipe and Mighty Mouse?

Widely regarded as the greatest HW/Flyweight in UFC history, neither man was the flashiest or most hyped fighter. Dana probably didn’t value either as much as he should have.

The casuals would say Stipe ( all due respect to the man , he’s an incredible champion)
The hardcore fans and the fighters generally consider Mighty Mouse as an all time great .
Who cares what the media thinks for the most part

HA! That's a funny question.

Hardcores respect both, and wish casuals respected each more...but for different reasons.

Stipe is a well known entity that isn't regarded as high as he should be.

Whereas DJ is just ignored by most casuals. So I'll go with DJ.

Stipe is more respected in terms of wanting to see his fights and caring about the outcome. Mighty Mouse is respected by true MMA fans as an all time great, but most people don't care to see his fights. I truly think for Mighty Mouse it is about size/weight class. The interest goes down for anyone fighting at Bantamweight or Flyweight. Stipe didn't get interest because he has the personality of a wet paper bag.

Stipe is more respected in terms of wanting to see his fights and caring about the outcome. Mighty Mouse is respected by true MMA fans as an all time great, but most people don't care to see his fights. I truly think for Mighty Mouse it is about size/weight class. The interest goes down for anyone fighting at Bantamweight or Flyweight. Stipe didn't get interest because he has the personality of a wet paper bag.
No one cared about 135. Everyone claimed it was because of size. Until Dilli-snake. Then, everyone was all over the 135 division. And today, people follow 125, because it's competitive.

Size aint got nuttin to do wit it. It's a red herring. Don't be fooled by the thousands of "manlet" jokes.

His fights had no tension (because he was so much better than everyone else), and his division had no drama (because he's just not that guy). And most fans like tension/excitement and drama, much more than skill. Don't get me wrong; I don't blame fans for wanting to be entertained. But let's at least call it what it is; they want to be entertained...and they were not entertained by DJ's phenomenal skills alone.

I suggest they would have been entertained by strong a combination of strong fighting skills + strong mike skills, if he'd had any mike skills.

Now, although I said "I don't blame fans for wanting to be entertained", I can also still say....this ^^ says more about fans than about DJ.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

tumblr_o78bhmlLWB1qa33wlo8_r1_500.gif

NeatUnselfishDrongo-size_restricted.gif

MiocicNgannou.gif

ufc-stipe-vs-overeem.gif

tumblr_opxxesQ8ok1u6fe5yo1_500.gif

1*VT1xX6FGJRv50Y9-iCNCbg.gif

DiligentBackCondor-size_restricted.gif

stoppage-vs-hunt.gif

miocic.gif

Miocic_Ngannou1.gif

giphy.webp

With wins over so many HoFers (or future HoFers) like Werdum, 2-1 vs Cormier, Overeem, JDS, Ngannou etc., I'd say people regard Miocic as having the better resume, and consequently more appreciated. Yes, they were older, but in a division where 99% have KO power, his resume still looks better.

In before "He only fought a bunch of Olds," "S S S Struve."

DJ has accomplished more. But everything else works against him. Shallow division. A lot of mma fans just dismiss out of hand people DJ’s size. It was only when Conor came along that some people actually gave a shit about anything below LW.

When I first started getting my gf into watching the UFC. She couldn’t believe 125 lbs full grown men fought in the UFC.

If you’re Willie Shoemaker, Ronnie Turcotte, Laffit Pincay Jr, or Mike Smith that’s one thing. 5’2”, and 115 lbs dudes putting their lives on the line many times everyday when they climb onto the back of an animal that weighs 1000lbs, and can run at 40+ MPH is one thing.

But the size just doesn’t register with the average mma fan. The fact almost nobody includes DJ on GOAT lists says it all.

So right or wrong the default answer here is Stipe. But I’m a fan of both.

Stipe. What he did to prime Trollface Werdum was down right filthy. The guy came off a run where he beat Overeem, Fedor, and Cain. Face planted him and made him look like an absolute jack ass.

No one cared about 135. Everyone claimed it was because of size. Until Dilli-snake. Then, everyone was all over the 135 division. And today, people follow 125, because it's competitive.

Size aint got nuttin to do wit it. It's a red herring. Don't be fooled by the thousands of "manlet" jokes.

His fights had no tension (because he was so much better than everyone else), and his division had no drama (because he's just not that guy). And most fans like tension/excitement and drama, much more than skill. Don't get me wrong; I don't blame fans for wanting to be entertained. But let's at least call it what it is; they want to be entertained...and they were not entertained by DJ's phenomenal skills alone.

I suggest they would have been entertained by strong a combination of strong fighting skills and strong mike skills, if he'd had any.

Now, although I said "I don't blame fans for wanting to be entertained", I can also still say....this ^^ says more about fans than about DJ.
People care about size.
A great heavyweight match will always draw more than a great lightweight match.

DJ has accomplished more. But everything else works against him. Shallow division. A lot of mma fans just dismiss out of hand people DJ’s size. It was only when Conor came along that some people actually gave a shit about anything below LW.

When I first started getting my gf into watching the UFC. She couldn’t believe 125 lbs full grown men fought in the UFC.

If you’re Willie Shoemaker, Ronnie Turcotte, Laffit Pincay Jr, or Mike Smith that’s one thing. 5’2”, and 115 lbs dudes putting their lives on the line many times everyday when they climb onto the back of an animal that weighs 1000lbs, and can run at 40+ MPH is one thing.

But the size just doesn’t register with the average mma fan. The fact almost nobody includes DJ on GOAT lists says it all.

So right or wrong the default answer here is Stipe. But I’m a fan of both.

This is definitely something I’ve heard many times from casual and/or new fans.

There seems to be more interest in smaller fighters than ever before, though. I wonder if DJ would have been more appreciated if he had fought today instead.

both underrated in general, but MM extremely so. he could have made a case for #1 p4p easy (at the time he left) and everyone was treating him like an afterthought.

Kalib Starns. He is the champ in everyones heart.

People care about size.
A great heavyweight match will always draw more than a great lightweight match.
Usually I’d agree but we know what the top draws of all time are, even ahead of Brock and that’s been with lightweight fighters..

Eh hard to say fans i think appreciated very few champs all together they all get complaints Dana for sure appreciated Ronda’s run us hardcore fans appreciated DJs greatness etc

Back