Who the hell does Tony spar with?

giphy.gif

Dude has a 77" reach and actually knows how to use it. Cerrone thought he was out of range, but getting blasted.

He has to be sparring with a sherdogger. That is the only explanation as to why he is so good.

If he honestly doesn't spar and he's able to execute these creative and unorthodox strikes that more often then not prove to be effective, that really is incredible.

Tony spars with the Invisible Man. UFC 238 post fight said he hasn't sparred in years.

He’s in Costa Mesa, tons of local gyms of guys who roll competitively in that area (everybody cross trains) and good MMA gyms close.

He doesnt have a set group of partners but I think he mixes it up wherever he’s at with whoever and possibly the coach invites others to come work at his home gym..es normal stuff and probably saves him some money instead of being in a big gym and part of a big stable.

He has been dropped quite a bit, but everything else seems on point. If what other posters are saying is true about no sparring then that’s dope. I wish other fighters would do that.

He throws off balance strikes from weird angles. He's been hurt, actually hurt, twice in 16 UFC fights. A couple other times he's been knocked down because he was off balance. If there was a way to determine damage given vs damage taken, Tony would be among the all time leaders in ratio.

Al Iaquinta is a really good fighter. Tough and well rounded. And Cowboy busted him up, took little damage, and honestly made Al look like he was just a level below him. And then Tony just did the same thing (but worse) to Cowboy.

This is a special fighter, a guy who makes REALLY tough guys quit in the cage. Fans need to wake up and understand what they are seeing.

He throws off balance strikes from weird angles. He's been hurt, actually hurt, twice in 16 UFC fights. A couple other times he's been knocked down because he was off balance. If there was a way to determine damage given vs damage taken, Tony would be among the all time leaders in ratio.

Al Iaquinta is a really good fighter. Tough and well rounded. And Cowboy busted him up, took little damage, and honestly made Al look like he was just a level below him. And then Tony just did the same thing (but worse) to Cowboy.

This is a special fighter, a guy who makes REALLY tough guys quit in the cage. Fans need to wake up and understand what they are seeing.
Didn't Robbie also stop sparring and become a dominate Champ for a while? He was in a big gym though. I wonder if there is some crazy shit Tony does that no one has thought of yet. Im gonna say holograms.

If he honestly doesn't spar and he's able to execute these creative and unorthodox strikes that more often then not prove to be effective, that really is incredible.

That is what I was going to say. There is a lot to learn from someone like this guy. People like this remind me that no matter what we have done or accomplished as a species we have not figured anything out fully. There is always another or different way.

The big difference between Tony and everyone else lies in the mental; he is quite literally the mentally strongest fighter we've ever seen. I'm not just talking about mental toughness, I'm talking about fight IQ, gameplanning, in-fight adjustments, creativity, and overall fight acumen. The guy just has an understanding of fighting and what he has to do to be successful and he's able to impose that skillset for as long as a fight may last. The bottomless cardio and iron chin are useful too.

My guess would be 8 ninjas.

In the dark.

Tony is training with people inside his walls

Back