Who would you have preferred? Gamrot, or volk?

Who should have fought Islam on short notice?

• Total voters
Gamrot all day, because Islam needs diversity in his title reign and Volk needs a rematch with a full camp, no recent surgery, and generally no asterisks

Volk but it probably should be Gamrot. Just nobody cares about him.

Gamrot, but not like I won't watch...

I hate instant rematches with a passion but Gamrot hasn't been impressive in his last 3 fights. I would have been ok with Gaethje though

Gamrot would've been the fresh matchup and supposedly he was prepared. Definitely wouldn't have sold as well or be as entertaining as Volk though.

Anyone who scored round 4 for Volk is out their mind.
Anyone who scores rd 4 for Volk is a straight up clown. Volk and his entire team admit that islam won that rd. Only massive Volk dick riders have the nerve to say he won it.

Volk makes more sense right now on short notice.

He’s the champ, they just had a close fight and he has a name that brings viewers to the table.

Gamrot should be afforded a full training camp and time to build interest for himself. Most casuals have no idea who he is.

Every Nelk idiot and Jake Paul fan knows Volk - he will bring much more money.

Gamrot needs more time he doesnt beat any of the top at lw.. we've seen what he could do vs beneil... hes not ready

Rather see Mateusz have time to prepare for Islam properly. Whereas Volk likely already has a gameplan ready for a short-notice fight.

I want to see where sherdog falls on this one. I get that volk is the bigger name, but he wasn't prepping -- he got arm surgery and was nursing his arm, then he took time off for the birth of his daughter. Gamrot was the back up fighter, he was paying in order to stay ready and travel to abu dhabi,

I don't understand what you mean when you say he was the backup fighter but didn't step in when Oliveira bailed. What did his beingthe backup fighter consist in?

I don't understand what you mean when you say he was the backup fighter but didn't step in when Oliveira bailed. What did his beingthe backup fighter consist in?

He was announced as the back up fighter, meaning he was training to fight in case Charles or Islam got injured, but then when Charles got injured, UFC apparently skipped right over him. Now gamrot is pissed because he was promised that he'd be able to step in. That is my understanding of it

Last edited:
He had elbow surgery not that long ago and was still nursing it like 3 weeks ago, he also made a point to tell everyone he was taking time off for the birth of his daughter. Normally I'd agree that volk stays ready, but given those factors....I just don't see it.

From my understanding he had to clear out a chipped bone from his elbow, I had a similar arthroscopic procedure done on my shoulder where they shaved down a bone spur that was causing impingement & cut off a couple partial tear flaps on my labrum. It was just essentially cleaning out a bunch of junk that was causing inflammation & a bone spur that was causing impingement.

It's been 10 days, I feel I'm already back to 90% and have felt ~90% since day 5 but haven't pushed myself to that extent to be certain. My surgeon says he does these cleanups on NFL players all the time and they're back playing in 3 weeks. Having said that, until yesterday I was still showering with waterproof bandaids and am holding off going to the gym till next week due to risk of infection. Infection probability is really low but they have to redo the procedure if I get one since it would go to the bone or something like that, who knows, but maybe Volk is keeping it covered to be extra safe.

I could be wrong but I don't see why Volk's elbow wouldn't be back to 100% unless there were some complications.

As far as who I wanna see more... I don't know, Volk vs Islam is a very intriguing matchup to me even under these conditions. The way Volk speaks about Islam makes me feel like that fight is something he replays over & over again in his head and is always kind of prepping for subconsciously, just the feeling I get. Whereas with Islam, it's a fight that, whether justified or not, he didn't get any credit for and I get the feeling he kind of wants to look forward and put that all behind him.

The worst possible out come for me would be a Bobby Green & Grant Dawson replay from either side... but that can happen with a full camp, if that doesn't happen, I just don't see one side dominating the other, regardless of circumstances, especially given the mental dynamic between the two I mentioned. I feel like Volk is mentally ready, I feel like this is an annoying surprise for Islam. Is Volk going to have fight shape 5 round cardio? Maybe not, but he might, I don't know & neither does Islam. I can see Islam being overly cautious and going easy in the grappling in the 1st couple rounds cause he's not sure.

Gamrot

Because

1) He was the designated back up

2) see number 1

3) it's a fresh match up we havent seen

4) Volk just had surgery, and just lost to Islam.. its too soon for another super fight jump ...

Islam fights Charles, then Volk, then almost Charles, then Volk, then Charles I suppose

He's in danger of becoming Cain Velasquez, fighting JDS, then Bigfoot, then JDS, then Bigfoot, then JDS...

at least those guys were both heavyweights...Islam is fighting a guy outside his division twice in a row??

It feels like Volk vs Islam 3 will happen now, regardless of the outcome of this fight.

I’d be fine never watching Gamrot spam takedowns like a button on his controller is stuck for the rest of my life. With that said, what is the point of having a guy as a backup fighter if a need for a backup fighter arises unexpectedly and you don’t use him?

I'm ready and willing to see Islam vs Volk, its going to be a fun fight, but in these circumstances I don't really appreciate it.

Presumably Volk is in shape because he's the type of guy who stays in shape, but these are two 'all time' fighters having a super fight, I'd rather that sort of thing be planned.

Gamrot made perfect sense as a backup, stylistically makes an interesting matchup, and he was preparing for it.

Back