Who's the best wrestler in UFC history

Who's the best wrestler in UFC history?

• Total voters
So Mark Schultz has the better resume? And are NCAA considered a major accomplishment, I ask because Kevin Jackson didn’t win a NCAA championship.

Isn't that what it means to be a four time all American? Jackson has more international championships which is more impressive than NCAAs anyways.

In the upper weight classes Phil Davis was really good. Had the size your DCs lacked too.

Hughes is rightfully on this list….and GSP threw him around the cage like a random guy.

Khabib is legendary but GSP (and Jones) had physical gifts that he did not.

Khabib is a better overall grappler than GSP,but GSP's takedowns were better. Khabib would throw the kitchen sink of techniques to get you to the floor if the first second or third attempt didnt work,but GSP would just blast you to the ground on the first try,and you can paint his takedown attempts and show them at the Smithsonian. That being said Khabib could do more overall. His grappling is amazing,and he could constantly advance position in ways GSP would struggle with.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by wrestler.

GSP in the center of the cage > Khabib by maybe a mile

Khabib against the cage > GSP imo, but not by nearly the margin
I feel like people overvalue Khabib's wrestling because he fought in an era without many quality wrestlers in his division. Tibau stalled him out against the cage several times, while it took a peak Big Rig to slow down a past his best GSP in cage wrestling.

Even above Mark Schultz and Kevin Jackson?
Yes, when you consider the level of competition Yoel went against

Even though the others have Olympic gold and Yoel doesn't, they never had to face anyone remotely like Saitiev or Cael Sanderson.

Plus Yoel's record in world championships is staggering; the man medalled in every WC he entered even in that stacked 86kg pool.

GSP or Khabib imo.

Khabib maybe has the slight edge given that he has more experience in wrestling and comes from a place where wrestling is as popular as breathing. But the fact that GSP could master wrestling so well despite not having a background in it is just a testament to his greatness so who knows.

Honourable mention DC just for the Suplex’s.

I really meant who's the best mma wrestler that fought in UFC like had goat type wrestling in the octagon not credentials outside or before fighting in the octagon there for Severn, cejudo,shultz etc are out only gsp & khabib should be in the discussion

Yes, when you consider the level of competition Yoel went against

Even though the others have Olympic gold and Yoel doesn't, they never had to face anyone remotely like Saitiev or Cael Sanderson.

Plus Yoel's record in world championships is staggering; the man medalled in every WC he entered even in that stacked 86kg pool.
Fair enough, I can respect an argument for the post-USSR depth in the sport. As for Yoel, he may have the widest disparity between his credentials and actual mma wrestling because he was so lackadaisical. Mark Munoz-esque.

Pure wrestling of MMA dominance via wrestling?

Cejudo has by far the best Credentials but in MMA i think its Khabib.
His credentials aren't as good as they look when you compare his brief career to other wrestlers.

Thinking about it I think maybe DC, Jones or GSP are over Khabib in terms of pure wrestling but I think Khabib might be the better overall grappler with his fusion of Freestyle, Judo, and sub game.

However GSP competed against better grapplers and Wrestlers imo and got for the most part the better of all of them.

But in reality there’s only one answer.

licensed-image

Reactions: mkt
It's astonishing how GSP is an olympic-level wrestler despite not having experience in high school/college wrestling.

I prefer Khabib because of his brute force, relentless, suffocating style. His opponents know his gameplan yet they can't do shit about it.
He's not an Olympic-level wrestler. Wrestling is an entirely different beast.

Yeah I'd go khabib GSP, probably give edge to GSP fought way more established wrestlers

Gsp is, so far, MMA's best wrestler. While Khabib is, so far, the best overall grappler.

GSP didn't need multiple chain wrestling attacks for a takedown, khabib did, to lesser wrestlers no less. So GSP's wrestling was "cleaner" looking against better wrestlers/grapplers than what Khabib faced.

<Fedor23>

Back