whose next for Jake "The Celtic Kid" Matthews?

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
No one talks about this guy but he's still one of the best up and comers in the game, past the point of prospect but still on his way up. I just really wish he could get on some cards other than when they go down under. He looked awesome in his new weight class against Li not to long ago and I honestly think he could become a contender at 170. I've always been a fan of Matthews and I'd love to see him start taking on some bigger names.

A few options I had were maybe Gunnar Nelson on the Liverpool card. Or maybe Leon Edwards. Curtis Millender, Alan Jouban, Sergio Moraes, Emil Meek, Niko Price, Belal Muhammad or Max Griffin would all make for fun fights.

My personal picks would either be Gunnar, Meek or Moraes.

Who would you like to see next for The Celtic Kid?

Matthews vs Gunnar is a squash match man the kid needs some time, he wants to fight Northcutt

Hopefully dropping his dad as a head coach.

I'm a fan of Jake's. I think he's got potential, but he's gotta drop daddy.

His "coaching" and reaction to the Bojan decision was embarrassing and cringe worthy.

Get Jake into a reputable gym and I think he breaks the top 15 within a year and a half.

No one talks about this guy but he's still one of the best up and comers in the game, past the point of prospect but still on his way up. I just really wish he could get on some cards other than when they go down under. He looked awesome in his new weight class against Li not to long ago and I honestly think he could become a contender at 170. I've always been a fan of Matthews and I'd love to see him start taking on some bigger names.

A few options I had were maybe Gunnar Nelson on the Liverpool card. Or maybe Leon Edwards. Curtis Millender, Alan Jouban, Sergio Moraes, Emil Meek, Niko Price, Belal Muhammad or Max Griffin would all make for fun fights.

Sadly I don't care who anyone is matched up with,I just wanna see the ball keep rolling.Mathews has fought some good fighters and looked good now at 170,he'll get a stud in his next fight no doubt (on normal fan's standards not Sherdog)The Li win was pretty decent and beating that melatonin guy Boran wasn't bad either.I like the fights you came up with but some seem rather quick when it comes to Gunnar or Leon.

He'd likely school the overrated Millender,Jouban is a tough stylistic match,,Sergio would be awkward and Sergio would likely pull the I'm a striker gameplan and lose,Emil would be a fun fight,Niko I don't want to see but it would be bananas,Belal would be interesting along with Max.I kinda like the last two,I think he'll be matched with Max next if I had to put money on it.

Definitely wouldn't want to rush Jake along. As he is still young in his career. Definitely feel he is a better fit for Welterweight however. The sort of fights I would give Jake now are with people like Nathan Coy, Shinsho Anzai or Drew Dober. While they aren't name opponents all would be a nice little test for him. Another good fight would be Matthews vs Randy Brown imo.

He struggled too much against Velickovic, actually i think he lost that one but got a hometown decision, i think he shouldn't fight anyone in the top 30. Therefore, i'd match him against someone like Court McGee or Thiago Alves, someone declining. He's a good prospect.

His "coaching" and reaction to the Bojan decision was embarrassing and cringe worthy.

Get Jake into a reputable gym and I think he breaks the top 15 within a year and a half.
Yeah Bojan got robbed in Australia big time and no said anything about it

He is fighting Sage dude, was announced weeks ago.

Yeah Bojan got robbed in Australia big time and no said anything about it

Big time robbery.

Definition of a home town decision.

Did you see how daddy acted afterwards? That's not how MMA head coaches act.

I was hoping (expecting) for more progress at this point.

Jake Matthews is about as relevant as Sublime's music is nowadays.

Did we watch a different fight? What was embarrassing?
Did Jake's dad root your wife or something, you seem to have your panties in a bunch about something.

Did we watch a different fight? What was embarrassing?
Did Jake's dad root your wife or something, you seem to have your panties in a bunch about something.

Watch it with the sound turned up loud.

Listen to what his dad is yelling at him.

Then watch Dad's reaction when the decision is read.

Embarrassing.

Back