Why are Switches still so expensive

That's the smart play... I caved-in like an idiot today and bought a Switch from Best Buy, even though it's late in the console's lifespan and there will likely be a newer model released within a year. I'm gonna regret the purchase once Nintendo officially announces a 4K Switch... but fuck it

I don't play video games nearly as much as I used to, but I randomly got the itch for some classic Nintendo style great gameplay which I haven't played in forever ( 3d style Zelda and Mario)... and the announcement of a new Mario Golf game 100% convinced me to make the Switch purchase now (perfect game for drinking and playing with friends).

I'm actually more excited jumping into the Nintendo Switch's catalog than I am interested in anything coming out for the Series X in the near future.

I don't think you made a mistake, the Switch still has a pretty big catalogue of games.
Even if the they release a new version, the old Switch will still hold it's value in the used market.

I don't think you made a mistake, the Switch still has a pretty big catalogue of games.
Even if the they release a new version, the old Switch will still hold it's value in the used market.
Especially since the new switch or whatever they release will not be backwards compatible.

Wait until you see the games.

5 year old games $60.

10 year old games ported to Switch $40.

And since they don't bring out anything new, you are stuck with those. The Switch was my first Nintendo console since the SNES and I'm pretty disappointed. Played the handful of exclusives (which honestly didn't deserve all that hype) and now it's collecting dust.
Missed a lot by not getting a 64.

Starfox, kart, Mario, oot, wcw/wwf games, perfect dark, goldeneye, etc

Yeah I know, but not really my choice back then.

Mom, can I have a N64?

No.
Oh ok I thought you made a choice. I picked the Saturn then traded that in with bday money for a PlayStation. Then my friend had a 64 and his mom said she was going to give it away cause his grades were so bad so he pre-emptively gave it to me lmao

I love seeing their sales being like $5 off their first party games lmao. I still buy them though. So I guess I’m a part of the problem lol

What annoys me is their third party games are twice as expensive as other consoles. That ensures the Switch will never be my primary console. It's mainly my console to play smash and Mario kart when my friends come over.

Yeah, it's demand.

It's defying all past console sale trajectories. It's crazy the Switch is talked about so little by the media considering how ungodly this continues to be. The Switch is outselling the PS5 by nearly 2-to-1 since the PS5's launch. Obviously, that partly has to do with production issues, but this is a console that released four years ago.

The exact same hardware in a Nintendo Switch was launched in the NVIDIA Shield revision on January 16, 2017. Before the end of 2017, despite that its predecessor had sold out stock several times, due to a relative lack of demand in comparison to the Switch, the bundle with the NVIDIA Shield + TV Remote Controller + Shield Controller was selling for $199 on Amazon. It hit $179 at an all-time low (I think sometime in 2018 or 2019).

Ironically, though, I just went to check on the current price for this Shield bundle. It's selling for $349.
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Gaming-Streaming-GeForce/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/

The gaming hardware market is fucked, gentleman.
gd6I-n.gif

tenor.gif

Wasn't the Switch the first Nintendo console that was sold at a loss?

Especially since the new switch or whatever they release will not be backwards compatible.

What are you talking about? By all reports the new Switch is going to be analogous to a PS4 Pro or an Xbox One X. Same system but beefed up, with a large screen and the ability to output at higher resolutions in docked mode. It’s going to be 100% backwards compatible with the existing Switch library of games.

MS and Sony have a pretty wide selection of games geared towards children/pick up and play games, and they all have kid friendly cartoonish platformers, and whatnot, and a lot of them are very good. They're just not staples in the industry.

I have a personal theory, that a lot of it comes down to mascots. Sony has a bunch, whether it's Kratos, Nathan Drake, Jak and Daxter, Sackboy, etc. Nintendo's entire first party line up is made up of nothing but legendary mascots. There are so many games you can instantly put a face to a brand with those two. MS has....Master Chief, and he's seen better days.

Don't forget these guys!

add-office-clippy-to-your-web-page-15703.png

They’re cheap, portable, easily available, which is leading to them selling through the roof. Why would they drop the price?

Gonna end up with two Switches here soon. Getting my girlfriend a Lite next month when the Indigo color drops. She’s obsessed with Animal Crossing and I’ve got a growing Switch backlog I’d like to address soon.

At $200 it’s really not much of an investment for the convenience of both of us having our own.

What are you talking about? By all reports the new Switch is going to be analogous to a PS4 Pro or an Xbox One X. Same system but beefed up, with a large screen and the ability to output at higher resolutions in docked mode. It’s going to be 100% backwards compatible with the existing Switch library of games.
I have heard nothing official about a new switch, I am just going by history.

Nintendo home systems have never really been backwards compatible. And people just suck it up since it is Nintendo. So I assumed they would continue in the same pattern.

Nintendo home systems have never really been backwards compatible. And people just suck it up since it is Nintendo. So I assumed they would continue in the same pattern.
You could play GameCube games on a Wii and Wii games on a Wii U.

While you’re right, it’s only been four years since the Switch released, so by all reports they’re copying Sony and Microsoft from last generation by releasing a beefed up version mid-generation, but effectively it will still be a switch, just souped up a little.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendos...clude-new-nvidia-chip-holiday-season-release/

You could play GameCube games on a Wii and Wii games on a Wii U.
Only some models of t he wii were backwards compatible. Obviously not my version as I have not been able to play Skies of Arcadia legiitmately in way to long.

I forgot the Wii U was a thing.

I love seeing their sales being like $5 off their first party games lmao. I still buy them though. So I guess I’m a part of the problem lol
lol, that's just expected with Nintendo by now.

I never bought a gamecube until the Wii was out. I bought it for $35 Cdn at EB games.

1st party games were selling still near full price and I could not get a second 1st party controller for under $80 Cdn, so I bought another gamecube lol

Mine's been collecting dust for the last few months. Pretty much just buy games I think my son and I will like on it and we've been playing Rocket League and just got Ark pretty cheap.

The mascots don't really do it for me. Need a quality game like BoTW behind the mascot.

They still selling like hot cakes. They outsold the Xbox. And still selling out fast. Why lower the price when a lot of shelves are empty.

Back