Why are they not promoting Nunes like they did with Ronda?

Yeah, I remember now, you are the guy who is always super sensitive and defensive about Brazilian fighters.
what the fuck does that have to do with anything, kid?
Are you trying to find an excuse not to respond?
Because it is pretty obvious you are running from a very simple question.

Aldo was the FW champ for a very long time.
The money spent promoting him was not a fraction of what they spent with Conor.

Nunes currently holds two belts. Should be WMMA GOAT (or top 2).
The money spent promoting her is not a fraction of what they spent with Ronda.

The fact you refuse to acknowledge this shows how incredibly fucking stupid you are.
but by all means, try to change the subject!

Bc Ronda had the illusion of dominating "tough competition" as an Olympic judoka. Ppl now easily se ehow low level most of WMMA is. You could never sell any of them as highly trained super dangerous combatants anymore. Even Nunes.. look at her last 3 fights. Randamie laid in her back doing 0 for 25 minutes Megan Anderson stood there and got punched in the face while standing like a statue. And Felicia Spencer just walked round getting punched from corner to corner. The most promotable would Valentina. The problem is that her competition is also weak. And it shows. The ppl they are defending often look slow, uncoordinated, throwing random punches from 10 feet out of range. It's hard to build any intensity with that. But there's still time for improvement. The next generation of WMMA I think will start to shape out a quality product, not just 2 or 3 ppl at the top

Because he had better finishes and fought better opponents.

Right, which is why a lack of English mastery is not a fatal impediment to achieving fame in the UFC, which was the point I was responding to.

Yeah, I remember now, you are the guy who is always super sensitive and defensive about Brazilian fighters.

I had to click to see who it was. You are quite correctly. You have probably seen the way he psychotically defends Cyborg. Finally put him on ignore.

Because Dana learned his lesson to promote a woman.

Real answer, Nunes personality doesn’t seem to fit into today’s big stars, i.e, loud and/or cocky.
Nunes almost carries herself like GSP, which was good and humble….but being like that are a thing of the past when it comes to being a big star.

This part is where you would blame Rousey. No individual athlete is obligated to promote their fight really, especially one who had done as much as Rousey. But from a big picture view Rousey did Nunes dirty by doing no promotion for their fight and not elevating her rival at all. That's how you make stars, have them destroy an already established star, but Rousey and WME screwed the pooch there and buried Nunes promotionally.

naw. If Nunes was an undeniable star she would be huge but she is not. I am a huge Nunes fan, she is the best ever and its not even close but she just does not have the "it" factor that Rousey or McGregor did

5e8iuushrte51.jpg

She's been fighting MMA longer than most people realize, since '08, and hasnt gained much attention from fans of the sport. Thats not a good thing.
I doubt it is because she is foreign, her english is good enough, is it her style? It seems the UFC has a champion who has an extremely fan-favorite fighting style, more so than Ronda and Barber, but not the "sweetheart" looks they had with the past champions.

i dont think its about personality either, Ronda sounded like a 6th grader who was determined to show the world she could do what she wanted.
Eric Cartman-ish, if you will. Why do people latch on to a bitch but can’t get on board with a wholesome woman like Nunes? Not calling Ronda a bitch but her persona was that of a bitch.

The UFC is supposed to be the ones doing the promotion. The whole thing is so unfairly balanced against the fighter. Bad money, bad contracts, forced to wear Reebok/Venom and then you are supposed to act like a total dickhed like Colby Covington
or an absolut pos like Conor if you want to get paid properly.
Its totally unfair to expect the fighters to do the main share of promotion when they get paid so poorly.
Ronda ticked a lot of boxes and was getting A LOT of attention before the UFC. UFC didn't even want to do WMMA before Ronda, they got into it because they realized they could promote Ronda and make a TON of money, which they did. WMMA is like a loss leader for them now because it keeps ESPN and the mainstream happy. Amanda is the GOAT but she doesn't really have star quality and she doesn't want to be a star. Ronda had star quality and she also wanted it.

Because at the start of Ronda’s career, everyone wanted to fuck ‘er.

This part is where you would blame Rousey. No individual athlete is obligated to promote their fight really, especially one who had done as much as Rousey. But from a big picture view Rousey did Nunes dirty by doing no promotion for their fight and not elevating her rival at all. That's how you make stars, have them destroy an already established star, but Rousey and WME screwed the pooch there and buried Nunes promotionally.

1. So we can blame the UFC for not promoting Nunes, which they do. And we can blame the public for not liking non-white athletes enough, which is silly. And now we can blame Rousey for not bringing eyes to her and Nunes' fight, which she did.

Seems like the narrative in this thread is that literally everyone is to blame for Nunes not being as popular as some fans think she deserves to be, except Nunes herself.

2. Why don't we flip it around and come at it the other way, which I think is more interesting. Why does Nunes get so much less criticism than Rousey or Cyborg did? Both of those two fighters, the two best female fighters before the advent of Nunes, were very polarizing among WMMA fans. But Nunes is not. Few have much bad to say about her, except maybe a few Shevchenko fans. And they mainly complain about the judges and not Nunes herself. I'd say Nunes is one of the more consistently respected fighters in the UFC; relatively few fans have anything bad to say about her.

Yes don't go for 95% , make sure you sell your product as exclusive for the 5% , don't get it do you ? No one cares what her bedroom preferences are , bringing it up just turns more people out then in .

1) No you don't. If you run a business that gets by on high volume sub $100 transactions like the UFC does, you go for big wide audience stuff. Lamborghini and Hublot can survive on a small dedicated market. The UFC thrives when soccer moms want to watch Ronda Rousey fight. The UFC didn't recruit Brock Lesnar because of how much the 5% hardcore fanbase loved him. They recruited him to get the WWE crowd and pull in some casuals.

2) Homophobes are a weird tiny minority these days, and representation means a lot to many minorities.

5e8iuushrte51.jpg

She's been fighting MMA longer than most people realize, since '08, and hasnt gained much attention from fans of the sport. Thats not a good thing.
I doubt it is because she is foreign, her english is good enough, is it her style? It seems the UFC has a champion who has an extremely fan-favorite fighting style, more so than Ronda and Barber, but not the "sweetheart" looks they had with the past champions.

i dont think its about personality either, Ronda sounded like a 6th grader who was determined to show the world she could do what she wanted.
Eric Cartman-ish, if you will. Why do people latch on to a bitch but can’t get on board with a wholesome woman like Nunes? Not calling Ronda a bitch but her persona was that of a bitch.

The UFC is supposed to be the ones doing the promotion. The whole thing is so unfairly balanced against the fighter. Bad money, bad contracts, forced to wear Reebok/Venom and then you are supposed to act like a total dickhed like Colby Covington
or an absolut pos like Conor if you want to get paid properly.
Its totally unfair to expect the fighters to do the main share of promotion when they get paid so poorly.

she is always promoted what the problem?

when she not fighting what else should she be doing?

The UFC is in a bit of an odd situation really in that it has often pushed for a more liberial fanbase yet a lot of the core market are right wing bros.

You are probably right that going too far pro Trump has damaged the image of the sport quite a bit with anyone but that fanbase.
Yeah, it's not a partisan issue really, more just if you're a huge corporation you got to be friends with politicians of all stripes. And hard to say how much of the fanbase leans one way or another, but I think a lot of fans think the fanbase is younger and more diverse than it really is.
The UFC in general acts one way, but not every specific instance within the UFC will be in accordance with the UFC's general attitude. Your initial response to me also wasn't relevant to my post. Just because race matters, doesn't mean it's the reason Amanda gets less promotion. They promote based on marketability. Lots of the biggest stars in combat sports are black, so it's obviously not such a detrimental aspect. If she were white she'd still have a seemingly pretty bland personality and wouldn't be attractive. Two of the probably most important factors for a female to be marketable. Her only redeeming factor is that she is a talented and exciting fighter, but that has been shown to not solely carry a a lot of fighters, you need more.
You're connecting two unrelated points. I think the UFC didn't do a good job promoting Amanda and I also think promoting non-white athletes in combat sports is harder. I don't think the UFC is racist toward Amanda, just uncreative and clueless as to how to promote someone that doesn't' fit into the neat box they like PPV stars to fit in.

And you'll notice the UFC (mma in general) has struggled to produce the quantity of black stars you would see in boxing.
Could you elaborate on this? It's very rare for me to watch promos for fights so I missed it completely. Could you list some examples of undertones of "great white hope"?
https://theundefeated.com/features/conor-mcgregor-and-the-shrinking-power-of-the-great-white-hope/

The author stresses the point too much, but the way I would put it is just that race sells well in combat sports. It is what it is, some fighters lean into it more than others.
How many gay people are there? How many non-gay people are there that want to actively support a gay athlete?

Now how many of that number care about MMA and watch it? There's your answer.
Quite a shit ton of gay people on the planet. But the target audience would be broader more just people who find a gay athlete important. And that's a lot of potential money.

The card did over 1m buys…..she destroyed an established star on one of the biggest ppv’s of all time. That can definitely bury someone promotionally……..

And you'll notice the UFC (mma in general) has struggled to produce the quantity of black stars you would see in boxing.

What? What the fuck does this even mean?

So we can blame the UFC for not promoting Nunes, which they do.
They obviously do promote her, but they've not produced results. Again, I think people misunderstand how big a feather in the cap marketing and PR wise it is for the UFC to have an openly gay champ. That's many a sports PR department's wet dream, whether you like it or not. Not to metnion it's on the UFC that they bungled BW and FW so badly and blew the potential Nunes/Cyborg trilogy.
And we can blame the public for not liking non-white athletes enough, which is silly.
I don't really blame them. I'm just saying it is what it is and it affects how athletes are marketed and how/whether or not they break through with the public. I'm not going to take the moral high ground and say someone needs to be less racist or something so they too can be like me and enjoy watching brain trauma and human cockfighting.
And now we can blame Rousey for not bringing eyes to her and Nunes' fight, which she did.
Like I said, I don't blame Ronda personally. Athletes can do whatever they want and she had already paid her dues and then some, if there even is such a thing. All I said is her doing next to no promotion for the fight hurt Amanda's chances of stardom a lot, since that's how you create a star.
Seems like the narrative in this thread is that literally everyone is to blame for Nunes not being as popular as some fans think she deserves to be, except Nunes herself.
As I've said in this thread, I don't think she's got the It factor and she'll never sell a million buys solo. But she still could have been a substantially bigger star if the UFC was on the ball and things had aligned better. She carries some responsibility for promoting herself, but the UFC is literally the promoter and owned by a talent agent. It's more on them.
Why does Nunes get so much less criticism than Rousey or Cyborg did?
To be honest, I think part of it was she's always flown under the radar, a lot of people thought she would just be an also ran against Tate.

The card did over 1m buys…..she destroyed an established star on one of the biggest ppv’s of all time. That can definitely bury someone promotionally……..
Yeah, and no one knew who Nunes was when she crushed Rousey because WME thought Rousey was win handily and she also wanted to do minimal press for the fight. That's a missed opportunity promotionally.
What? What the fuck does this even mean?
It means what it says? The UFC hasn't produced the amount of black stars you tend to see throughout boxing's history, for various reasons.

Yeah, and no one knew who Nunes was when she crushed Rousey because WME thought Rousey was win handily and she also wanted to do minimal press for the fight. That's a missed opportunity promotionally.
they knew who she was because she had a huge audience watching. don't you remember saying: "That's how you make stars, have them destroy an already established star"....

It means what it says? The UFC hasn't produced the amount of black stars you tend to see throughout boxing's history, for various reasons.
wtf? the black fighters who become great mma fighters have been some of the most popular and biggest draws in the sport. or is the ufc keeping the black fighter down.....

the nhl hasn't produced as many black stars as the nba......crazy shit....

Back