Why did Jon Jones not fight at heavyweight sooner in his career?

For as good as he is, Jones is really afraid of losing. He wouldn't even challenge DC at heavyweight after having beaten him at LHW. Said short fat old DC might be "too big" for him there.
That's the first time and reason of jbj ducking a HW. What's the next one?

He’s a “natural HW” in the same way any 205er is a natural HW (not since Hendo has a prominent LHW walked around with five pounds of 205), but he’s lanky. I’m not sure bulking up was good for him. He’s carrying a lot of fat and looked awkward standing (but obviously dominant on the ground).

He has HW height but I wouldn't call his frame a HW build. He's always been pretty thin.

Gane was just an easy opportunity.

I’m sure he’s been above 225lbs naturally for the last decade, if not his whole career. He made weight every time at LHW and enjoyed the advantages that height and reach can bring. LHW was absolutely ideal for him. No reason to mess with a good thing.

Why move up when you are getting paid a lot of money to rule over your division as champion and already have GOAT status in many people's minds?

first it was "jones will never fight at HW he's too scared! His reach advantage is gone. No power. They'll break his legs!"
now its... "oh but he didn't move to HW soon enough".

There was no reason to fight DC. he already beat him twice.

anything can happen in MMA. Best to take your wins and run with it. What would have happened if DC won? He'd probably retire and try to get the last laugh against his boogyman. Same thing adesanya is trying to do.

Back when DC was at HW, Miocic was in his prime, and even when Cain was tearing it up.

I mean the guy is 6'4 and naturally a HW.
Jones had been talking about moving up to Heavyweight all the way back in 2012, the reason he waited until now is because he was ducking the champions that would've beaten him.

Jones didn't even want to move up when Cormier was champion because Jones admitted that Cormier would have the advantage over him.

I'm personally of the opinion that Light Heavyweight was and remains the perfect division for Jones because it suits his frame and that amount of weight was perfect for his frame; yes he's got a big torso so it appears like he's a Heavyweight, but his legs are more like a Welterweight.

Lesnar was too big, Cain and DC were too good.

Jones even sort of admitted that DC would be likely be too much for him at HW.

He took the time to add the weight and get used to it; which is more important at hw than other divisions. Weight issues where never a problem for Jon at any point of his career.

Cain would have made Jones cry in the cage.

It seems obvious that
He didn’t want to loose.

He wanted no part of the 2013 versions of JDS, Cain, Stipe, Overeem, Werdum, or DC at HW.

He’s a scaredy can.

Credit to Picto for respecting and being a massive fan of the HW, OW, P4P, MMA, and combat sport GOAT though.

He planned it so he can easily win the HW strap. Smart move. lol.

Winning 15 title fights in a row at LHW without being punched in the head by HWs seemed to work out pretty ok for the guy.

Back