Why did Lawler leave UFC initially and why did it take so long for him to return?

Papa Doc

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on this? Lawler is a future UFC hall of famer and has one of the best WW streaks of all time. Looking back at his record, I wish he spent more time in the UFC fighting better talent.

Not sure but I think the Superbrawl owner knew Monte Cox and specifically brought him to HI for Superbrawl/Icon Sports which was later bought by EliteXC. He also was in IFL briefly.

He may have been released. I think he was on 3 fight losing streak before moving on.

Matt hughes being champ in the same division maybe? idk

He did lose 3 of 4 w a boring decision win before leaving. He was really young at the time, maybe wanted to get some more experience outside the UFC

That Trigg KO was nasty tho...when he was lying in the corner. I remember that shit like it was yesterday

Who owns the Superbrawl library now? I want to watch the two Niko fights and never saw the Trigg fight.

I could be wrong but I think UFC might have dropped the middleweight division around that time and then brought it back shortly later when Rich Franklin, who was a light heavyweight, decided to join it. They saw him as a star.

As for why Lawler didn't return sooner, probably just contracts with other promotions.

He was on a bad losing streak . Last fight was against Evan Tanner at ufc 50 .. then he hard time coming back to ufc . Great fight with ninja and couple of ko in pride and strike force

Guys could make money elsewhere. UFC wasnt the profitable thing it is now back then - and fighters make shit now imagine how bad it was then. Diaz also left shortly there after and basically did the same thing.

I thought it was over pay. Robbie's run during that period was pretty cool. The Trigg fight was cool. I think that was for a MW belt or something. My memory is fuzzy. I do think I remember reading that he was making more, though.

Anyone have any insight on this? Lawler is a future UFC hall of famer and has one of the best WW streaks of all time. Looking back at his record, I wish he spent more time in the UFC fighting better talent.
Good question but I don't think that his competition outside of the UFC was necessarily all that bad.

He was on a losing streak but the real reason was that Robbie was having some stomach issues or something. Its been a longtime since I read it but he was having some health issues which led to chronic fatigue and he had to wait to get better.

I actually know this answer… dana mentioned it once during an interview when robbie initially returned. He basically said they didnt part on bad terms and that other orgs were willing to pay Robbie way more than the Ufc was at the time. Im guessing 80-200k was too pricey for the ufc back then

He was on a losing streak but the real reason was that Robbie was having some stomach issues or something. Its been a longtime since I read it but he was having some health issues which led to chronic fatigue and he had to wait to get better.
I thought it was asthma.

I thought it was asthma.

Perhaps you are right. I forgot what it was but I remember he had some lingering health issue that caused a diminishment of performance and recovery.

Back