Why did MMA grow so much in the last 2 years ? and because of who ?

MMAFAN2

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
in the last 2 years i see that there are so many people started following mma who never really heard of it before,i notice that when i look at the reactions on some mma news on twitter,instagram,youtube etc
the views on some youtube videos about MMA are really huge,it wasn't like that before,many fighters on the roster have over a million followers on instagram.
there are no big ppvs in every month like 2010 for example when there were more markatable fighters/stars too,we also had others great promotions like strikeforce,WEC and pride before that.
although we only had 3 big PPVS in the last 2.5 years: UFC 214,UFC 217,UFC 229

am i the only one who feels the same? what are the reasons ? and when did it really start ?

- is it because of the ESPN Deal ?

- is it the popularity of some podcasts discussing mma like the Joe Rogan Podcast ? when he talks about normal news about mma not even that big it gets betwwen 500K-1M views sometimes
in my opinion joe rogan is a big part of the rise of the UFC
JRE has been around for years but the podcast has became huge in the last 2 years

- The bus incident of brooklyn and the start of the rivalry between conor and khabib ? i know so many people who started following mma because of this shit between conor and khabib.

- people who were watching pro wrestling are following mma now ?

- Did Mayweather Vs Mcgregor turn many people eyes on combat sports in general ?

- is it beacuse of the rise of social media ? in my opinion mma is the sport who benefited the most from social media,i'm sure most fans actually discovered mma through the internet not TV
fights gets announced on social media now for god's sake and the trash talk between the fighters on twitter too.

Last edited:
source.gif

Conor, Honda and CM Punk

Last edited:
grown in the last 2 years? i kind of feel like mma is currently in a valley.

As much as it pains me to say it, Ronda and Conor were a big part of the recent growth of the UFC.

UFC finally tapped into major demographics they never reached before. Ronda brought in the soccer-moms and feminists while Conor brought in the hipsters.

The last two years MMA has stagnated, before that Conor made it explode.

When did it grow exactly? The numbers are down across the board. Just because the new ESPN is in place doesn’t mean the sport is growing.

I’d love for somebody to show me a new mma fan. One within the “last cpl yrs”. I don’t think for a second such a beast exists. I don’t even admit to watching the UFC anymore because it’s a joke. I really have no idea what you’re even talking about. Perhaps you could supply some numbers to offset the abysmal ppv numbers. Even that low cheating fuck, Jones* can’t draw flies to his shit.

grown in the last 2 years? i kind of feel like mma is currently in a valley.
PPV numbers are not good,don't get me wrong.
but when some fighters or even dana white post something on twitter or instagram,it gets thousands of likes and comments
it wasn't like that before.look at the max holloway challenge for example.

I'm pretty sure MMA's popularity has hit a serious decline in 2019.

PPV numbers are not good,don't get me wrong.
but when some fighters or even dana white post something on twitter or instagram,it gets thousands of likes and comments
it wasn't like that before.look at the max holloway challenge for example.

social media in general is getting bigger. That probably wont change. It just isnt really the same to me. Ronda hasnt fought since 2016 conor has fought once since 2016 Jones has fought twice. The UFC is down big time in star power. Dont get me wrong us die hards have some great fights to watch. Things just are over saturated and the cards are mostly full of fillers in comparison to years prior.

The superstars like Ronda, Conor and Brock play a big part of it. New York state legalizing and regulating events also helped change attitudes towards the sport for the better.

The ESPN deal is also expanding visibility. Had a girl text me about the Calvin Kattar finish on the prelims, so they definitely have new eyes watching.

Last edited:
It's because those three ppvs you've just mentioned are the biggest, and the most worthy of people's attention than any other ppvs in the past 30 years.. It's not because of some tattooed wannabe thug who thinks he looks cool and smart..

The TS was talking about the last two years... Brock hasn't fought since 2016 and before that in 2011.
his interview with cormier after UFC 226 is one of the most watched UFC videos on youtube ever(10M now)
although he hasn't fought,the media was talking about him in the last 15 months more than most fighters.

his interview with cormier after UFC 226 is one of the most watched UFC videos on youtube ever(10M now)
although he hasn't fought,the media was talking about him in the last 15 months more than most fighters.

I get that but how has that increased actual UFC viewership? I expect the vast majority of the youtube views are from WWE fans.

The TS was talking about the last two years... Brock hasn't fought since 2016 and before that in 2011.

Conor fought once in the last 2.5 years. Ronda last fought over 2 year ago.

in the last 2 years i see that there are so many people started following mma who never really heard of it before,i notice that when i look at the reactions on some mma news on twitter,instagram,youtube etc
the views on some youtube videos about MMA are really huge,it wasn't like that before,many fighters on the roster have over a million followers on instagram.
there are no big ppvs in every month like 2010 for example when there were more markatable fighters/stars too,we also had others great promotions like strikeforce,WEC and pride before that.
although we only had 3 big PPVS in the last 2.5 years: UFC 214,UFC 217,UFC 229

am i the only one who feels the same? what are the reasons ? and when did it really start ?

- is it because of the ESPN Deal ?

- is it the popularity of some podcasts discussing mma like the Joe Rogan Podcast ? when he talks about normal news about mma not even that big it gets betwwen 500K-1M views sometimes
in my opinion joe rogan is a big part of the rise of the UFC
JRE has been around for years but the podcast has became huge in the last 2 years

- The bus incident of brooklyn and the start of the rivalry between conor and khabib ? i know so many people who started following mma because of this shit between conor and khabib.

- people who were watching pro wrestling are following mma now ?

- Did Mayweather Vs Mcgregor turn many people eyes on combat sports in general ?

- is it beacuse of the rise of social media ? in my opinion mma is the sport who benefited the most from social media,i'm sure most fans actually discovered mma through the internet not TV
fights gets announced on social media now for god's sake and the trash talk between the fighters on twitter too.
According to Dana the sport is always growing and he has the numbers so you can't argue. If you do you are an idiot. Reality is MMA is still a new sport so it is still breaking into new markets. So I say UFC is not growing because in establirshed markets (especially USA), revenues are shrinking (especially PPV dropping into the toilet). So if Dana picks up a refried bean company in Guatemala to cover U.S. loses I don't consider that a wash. Remember, Dana told us the Reebok deal would "grow" the sport significantly. It grew revenues in his pocket by taking away money from the fighters. The ESPN deal might be doing the same thing.

Back