Why didn't the UFC just keep pride running?

Ok I'm still learning about mma history and only been watching for like 5 or 6 years. But I do have fightpass so i can go back and watch all the old stuff. And one of my favorite things to do on there is just binge old Pride stuff for hours at a time. There were just so many fun fights and yeah a lot of weird shit too lol. But it looked like a really exciting fight organization and just a flat out fun period in a mma history..

So i guess I have 2 questions.

1) For those who were ACTUALLY watching mma when pride was at its peak, was pride and mma as fun and exciting for funs as it appears to me from watching these events?

2) Why didn't the UFC just keep Pride going? It was a popular and successful mma organization in a foreign market. From my understanding the UFC has never been big in japan the way pride was.
Pride was the #1 promotion from 2000 to at least 2005 & it was a fantastically entertaining product. The UFC lost their ass on the deal & just ended up consolidating everything. Their business model has always been about brand over everything else. I hate the UFC controlling the sport but it is what it is. I wish they would've kept the brand alive and ran it as a feeder league based somewhere in Asia as well as keeping the Ring & rule set. Same thing with Strikeforce & WEC.

Last edited:
#1: Yes, pride was awesome. They had the best middle weights and heavy weights. They understood how to build a fighter in the eyes of the audience, way before the UFC learned the trade, and they had walk outs & stare downs that would give you goosebumps.
#2: Why it failed? Read paragraph 4 of the wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_Fighting_Championships

"In 2006, DSE started to have financial issues, as a scandal revealing ties between the company and yakuza resulted in the end of multiple lucrative contracts with Japanese broadcasters.[3] In March 2007, DSE sold Pride to Lorenzo Fertitta and Frank Fertitta III, co-owners of Zuffa, which, at the time, owned the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).[6] While remaining as legally separate entities with separate managements, the two promotions were set to cooperate in a manner akin to the AFL-NFL merger. However, such an arrangement did not materialize, and in October 2007, Pride Worldwide's Japanese staff was laid off, marking the end of the organization as an active fight promoter. While the top and most popular fighters were brought to the UFC. As a result, many of the Pride staff left to form a new organization alongside K-1 parent company Fighting and Entertainment Group. That new organization, founded in February 2008, was named DREAM.[7]

In 2015, Pride's co-founder and former president Nobuyuki Sakakibara established Rizin Fighting Federation in Japan with the same philosophy and ambition as for the defunct Pride organization.[8]"

---

Bottom line: without a TV deal, there was no ad money. UFC got what they needed out of the deal - Fight contracts and more importantly global recognition as the premier MMA event.

Wanted to assure that Sakuraba didn’t take anymore unnecessary beatings.

Plan didn’t work!

They cannibalized Pride and Strikeforce, because it's better business to bring those stars to UFC. Imagine if they took the stars but left the promotion going, no one would watch the fights because it was the top stars that made it.

Ok I'm still learning about mma history and only been watching for like 5 or 6 years. But I do have fightpass so i can go back and watch all the old stuff. And one of my favorite things to do on there is just binge old Pride stuff for hours at a time. There were just so many fun fights and yeah a lot of weird shit too lol. But it looked like a really exciting fight organization and just a flat out fun period in a mma history..

1) For those who were ACTUALLY watching mma when pride was at its peak, was pride and mma as fun and exciting for funs as it appears to me from watching these events?

2) Why didn't the UFC just keep Pride going? It was a popular and successful mma organization in a foreign market. From my understanding the UFC has never been big in japan the way pride was.

1) yep, PRIDE was fun as you would never get again, just watching the fighter´s entering the building was exciting

2) I guess they never wanted to carry on by that format (ring, rules, some names) just wanted to get any kind of competition out of business

was funny how they were lying their ass off about it for at least a few months after the acquisition. they were insisting that pride wasn't going anywhere, it was just under a new umbrella, all that kind of thing. can't believe anything these clowns say.
Not really lying. They thought they would be able to keep it going but found out that they had really only bought the logo, dvd library and heath herring.

Bottom line: without a TV deal, there was no ad money. UFC got what they needed out of the deal - Fight contracts and more importantly global recognition as the premier MMA event.
The other major things a lot of people miss:
-Pride's video library. This one is huge and hamstrings any rival promotions. Hard to promote your fighter if you can't use any of their footage
- Sakikabara had to sign a non-compete, thereby eliminating a potential rival.

They couldn't get a TV deal. Prides reputation had been ruined with it's previous yakuza involvement.

Yakuza and most of the contracts werent real

Literally a TS that never saw a single Pride fight in real time, trying to gain brownie points with that crowd. Looks like you failed miserably, pal.

1) Yes. Pride was fucking great at the time. It used to air Sunday nights in the U.S. on PPV via tape delay.

2.) Ryeboi already answered. Just to add there was a great video Sherdog news(back when they were #1) had at the time of the sale to Zuffa from a press conference in Japan. Basically the Pride production team cut a promo video with UFC and Pride merger showing both fighters. It was really cool and I stole it..... uploaded it at the time to Youtube and fuckers took it down and I lost the video on some hard drive. I could never find that promo video again.

Wanted to assure that Sakuraba didn’t take anymore unnecessary beatings.

Plan didn’t work!
Sakuraba was already gone. That was a major blow to Pride, when it was already in a tough place. Sakuraba was angry once he found out about how much of his pay was going to Takada Dojo and he was also angered at not being included in the 183-pound Grand Prix.

Do you have any idea how expensive that would be?

Not really lying. They thought they would be able to keep it going but found out that they had really only bought the logo, dvd library and heath herring.
no way of knowing. my guess is they knew beforehand exactly what they were going to do.

ufc-pride-lightweight-tournament.jpg

As others had mentioned , the Pride name was tarnished. When it was revealed how deep the Yakuza involvement was in Pride no one wanted to deal with them . They lost their TV deal and their popularity dropped like a stone. There was no saving Pride at that point. Dana and the Fertitas bought vaperware. Even if Pride was still viable, there is a reason why foreign owned companies struggle in Japan. Pride would have been seen as another foreign company trying to invade their market. Everyone from the TV networks to the general public would have avoided them like the plague. There was no situation where this would have been a successful venture.

The other major things a lot of people miss:
-Pride's video library. This one is huge and hamstrings any rival promotions. Hard to promote your fighter if you can't use any of their footage
- Sakikabara had to sign a non-compete, thereby eliminating a potential rival.

That's a really good point about hamstringing any rivals who signed former PRIDEFC fighters, since they can't use PRIDEFC footage to promote them.

Back