Why do American crowds always boo Aljo?

Because the main segment of live audience attendees are casuals and Aljos most recognized moments was the theatrics after the first Yan fight followed by the boring performance in the rematch.

However, for the soy coalition in this case the demand for racism exceeds the supply
Soy coalition? Is that an organized group yet?
laughing-laughing-hysterically.gif

I think most fans supported Silva against Sonnen, based of their characters and the way they both carried themselves...
Was it not?

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by this, because if I remember correctly and especially on sherdog, almost everyone was pissed off at Silva for dicking around and showboating in the previous Damien Maia fight. In fact, I'm pretty sure most people (especially on here) were enjoying Sonnen's disrespectful shit talking and schtick he was doing to Silva and ate it up. Even during the fight, Silva haters and anti-Brazil America stans were ejaculating all over themselves watching Anderson get beat up & dominated for 4 and half rounds until the sub. Anderson had a lot of haters around this time due to the boring Maia and Leites fights, seemingly eclipsing his legendary performance against Forrest Griffin.

All that said, the title loss due to showboating, the accumulation of other losses, and especially getting popped for steroids turned most stereotypical MMA fans against him. Almost nobody even have a flying fuck when he was cut from the UFC after losing to Uriah Hall, and Dana to this day refuses to put him in the UFC Hall of Fame, likely due to lack of public outcry and support for Silva. It's really sad, cus Anderson was a legend and a legit draw and deserves much more respect than he got from the fans and the UFC. Sad shit, and supports my previous argument.

Literally no one likes aljoke sterling. It’s just that he only fights in the USA iirc

Last edited:
Let's face it, Vegas fans are shit-tier. Always have been, always will be.

He’s a class act, a good guy, has never had a bad incident outside the cage, always has a good attitude.

Most importantly, he’s the ONLY American-born male champ on the roster. He’s the only elite fighter remaining that was born on US soil. He’s the only hope the country has to hold a belt, going forward.

I don’t understand these idiot fans.

Might have to do with his academy award winning acting.

To be completely fair to Aljo-> we don't know him on a personal level. I met him once in a karoake bar and he was nice and real. Didn't give me cringe vibes at all. I was honest that I was rooting for Yan and he handled it well.

With all that said, I'm still a Yan fan.

I don't like Aljo's lame DQ win and I scored the rematch for Yan too.

He got away with robbery twice for the title and gloats about it and doesn't have any ounce of shame or doubt about it.

Anytime he's on camera he's got that "please like me!" type of energy which is always a turn off.

Weird to need to hold on to where a fighter is born to decide if you like them or not?

Some countries must not have much going on

Also- with regards to "why American fans don't root for American fighters" kind of thing, I think it boils down to a lot of things:
1. although fighters love to represent their countries, Americans generally treat combat sports as an individual endeavor unless it's the Olympics. People root for the individual they like most
2. most Americans have ethnic roots outside of America they proudly identify with. This is particularly true for Irish Americans, Mexican Americans, Italian Americans, etc. It's almost always cringe because these people are just regular cookie-cutter Americans but it is what it is.
3. Aljo carries the Jamaican flag like Usman carries the Nigerian flag. It baffles me how either of them (mostly Usman) complain about not being celebrated as American champions when they intentionally represent non-American flags.

Because people think he should have let Yan intentionally knee him in the head then continue with a concussion.

Anyone saying racism is just looking for a reason to be offended, the US has a lot of racism but not really in sports. The biggest most popular sports stars are almost always black.

I don't really get cheering for someone just because they're from your country to begin with, I don't care if the guy went to the same school as me, or born on the same street

If someone doesnt know anything about either guy in a fight, they'll usually default to rooting for the guy from the same country/hometown guy. It's just an easy way for casuals to get invested in fights.

He’s a class act, a good guy, has never had a bad incident outside the cage, always has a good attitude.

Most importantly, he’s the ONLY American-born male champ on the roster. He’s the only elite fighter remaining that was born on US soil. He’s the only hope the country has to hold a belt, going forward.

Behavior during and after the two Yan fights (especially the DQ), obviously, end of story.

The Oscars-incident is what did it for all those people "on the fence" for Sterling

Because people think he should have let Yan intentionally knee him in the head then continue with a concussion.

Anyone saying racism is just looking for a reason to be offended, the US has a lot of racism but not really in sports. The biggest most popular sports stars are almost always black.

No that’s not it. They were put off by the theatrics and then the unwarranted arrogance that came after that Aljo attempted to finesse into a troll job.

Had he just told the doctor he felt rocked from the knee, then told the fans, “sorry, but he blatantly fouled me and rocked me in a hard, close fight and I can’t afford to jeopardize my present and future income by letting it slide. I’ll fight him against as soon as possible and we’ll put on a show,” everyone would have been fine and said Yan is a stupid meathead.

Also- with regards to "why American fans don't root for American fighters" kind of thing, I think it boils down to a lot of things:
1. although fighters love to represent their countries, Americans generally treat combat sports as an individual endeavor unless it's the Olympics. People root for the individual they like most

American crowds cheer “USA” like 2 minutes into every big fight against a non-American fighter lol

I re-watched Oliveira against Gaethje and Poirier the other week, the crowds started chanting almost immediately. It’s baked into their fighting culture. There’s nothing wrong with that btw, it’s their right.

He's just not the most personable being.

[

How did he act after the 2nd Yan fight? I don’t remember anything controversial.

It was mostly the DQ like I said, but after eeking out the rematch he acted like he’d whooped Yan’s ass Fig-on-Benevidez style and told the fans that he was waiting for their crow-eating apology.

Some guys are good at playing the heel or the antihero and some guys are just nice guys who can’t pull it off. Aljo unfortunately landed in a situation that doesn’t really suit his talents and personality. If an asshole like Colby had taken a DQ win and then backpacked to a boring decision in the rematch, it would be perfect. I don’t really blame Aljo for trying to roll with it but he’s kinda like Cejudo now — he’s trying to lean into the hand he’s been dealt but the mild dislike he’s getting back from the fans isn’t hot enough to be lucrative.

Also- with regards to "why American fans don't root for American fighters" kind of thing, I think it boils down to a lot of things…...

There’s also the fact that the U.S. happens to be the de facto home base for the promotion, lots UFC events are held in the U.S., lots of fighters are from the U.S., and the U.S. is quite large and wealthy and has citizens accomplishing things in all sorts of fields all the time.

If the UFC goes to Georgia right now and Merab fights for the title, it’s a rare opportunity for a Georgian athlete/person to accomplish something on the international stage and a rare opportunity for that stage to be in Georgia. If there’s an event in New York it’s competing with a Giants game, a Knicks game, an Eric Clapton concert, a Chris Rock show, Michelin restaurants, world class museums, etc. (and that’s just in New York), and if an American wins a belt it might crack the list of the 100 most interesting things an American did in the city that day. It’s not going to be the happiest day in the life of 1,000 people who can’t wait to welcome him home at the airport.

It’s no surprise that literally anyone who has the option of repping more than one country goes with the one that seems like an underdog.

Back