Why do Americans call Spanish speakers and Latinos "Spanish?"

the ell I'm going om NU so maybe that's why but are really saying that in Texas you'd refer to a friend "as my Spanish speaking friend" or "my girlfriend is a Spanish speaker"? Wtf? That sounds way crazier. I don't use it I say Latino.
Your reading comprehensive is lacking I guess. When did I say I referred to Latinos as Spanish speaking people? I said I may of heard someone say that once or twice as being the closest I ever them being labeled "spanish" . Projection is just dumb man..

Your reading comprehensive is lacking I guess. When did I say I referred to Latinos as Spanish speaking people? I said I may of heard someone say that once or twice as being the closest I ever them being labeled "spanish" . Projection is just dumb man..
Wtf are you talking about? Haha forget it man. Can't wait till I'm a 50 year old nut bag. Good day sir.

Lol. You make shit up and then whine when called on it. Nice. <Dany07>
You said "referred to as Spanish speakers" how the fuck would you refer to them as Spanish speakers? You sound dumb as hell especially for your age.

You said "referred to as Spanish speakers" how the fuck would you refer to them as Spanish speakers? You sound dumb as hell especially for your age.
Again learn reading comprehension kid. Reading ... it's fundamental. <seedat>

Again learn reading comprehension kid. Reading ... it's fundamental. <seedat>
Keep repeating this dumbass. Can't even refute it. Pathetic. Again how the fuck would you use that to refer to people imbecile?

PR for Puerto Rico? If so you'd have no doubts of how Spanish you are if you take a DNA test.

Yea, but I'm not taking any DNA test anytime soon. Not down with that.

Pretty much already know the deal anyway.

Is that a Kid N Play reference?
Lol Maybe it's from the 90s I remember Reggie Miller n other NBA players doing the commercials though. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
When Québécois people in my presence said 'I am/we are French' it wasn't in just a linguistic context. It was the same phenomenon as all the US Americans calling themselves 'Irish' or 'Scottish'. They did say it in English though, even when I was speaking to them in French.

Come to think of it, that reminds me of the story of an Irishman and his mother who were visiting the USA. They were speaking Irish on the street in San Francisco and a local told them 'This is America, you need to speak English here.' They explained that Irish was their first language and he started telling him he was Irish too.
Interesting context. Surprising too. Was it diaspora quebecois outside of quebec?

On average we aren't brought up with all that much knowledge of other cultures. And there's a huge Mexican population here. Most people here are going to associate Spanish speakers with mexico.

Interesting context. Surprising too. Was it diaspora quebecois outside of quebec?

In Quebec, Alberta and BC. In Quebec and one instance in Alberta they were from Quebec. The others I don't know, they could have been local Francophones. They were from Canada.

As others have explained it is a North-East term referring to the typical PR/DR types you run into in that general area. From TX to CA you only have Mexicans. Miami which is full of all colors of South Americans and Caribe types also does not use the term Spanish. It is similar to calling someone Asian as a catch-all phrase.

PR for Puerto Rico? If so you'd have no doubts of how Spanish you are if you take a DNA test.

Kinda want to do one of these, but I'm scared of the possibility of finding out that my dad is actually the milkman. ;/

i recently received my 23 and me results, and it came to around 80% portuguese and spanish, though my parents are from mexico. guess i should start telling people that i'm portuguese and spanish instead lol.

Back