Why Do People "Respect" CM Punk For MMA Faux Pas

WaylonMercy5150

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Look I was into Punk when I thought he was gonna walk from WWE in 2012. I was with him in 2014 when the Authority was trying to hold him down and he was right there at the now infamous Bootista Royal Rumble when Bryan Danielson's push to the title was undeniable. His last match was the 2014 RR where he drew #1 I still member I was rooting for him or BD.

But this MMA shit was just wack and pathetic. NOT EVEN BORK LASER FOUGHT HIS FIRST FIGHT IN THE UFC. Dana wasn't even proclaiming CM as some super talent. It was almost like he told Dana, "Look, I'm hurting for money and I really don't mind getting my ass kicked, let me fight. I'll be a big draw just like in the E."

I'm convinced he never trained and just cut the weight for the fights. He looked so bad that Dana actually ended up looking equally senseless considering he had zero talent and drew only ok. CM Punk was a glorified stunt man who took MMA bumps for a huge payday.

I heard CM Punk came back to pro wrestling and got a huge pop, is that the 'respect' you're referring to TS?

No issue with Punk getting a fight in UFC imo, it’s all about how many buys you generate let’s be honest and he did that.

I don’t think you ‘gotta respect him’ for what he did though.

We have some dumb shit in society about ‘you can be whatever you want if you believe’ and ‘never give up’. Sometimes you just can’t do some things and you should give up and do something else. Both of apply to Punk in MMA, he sucked.

Why not? He seems like a good man. Or have i missed something?
He seems like a nice enough guy. I actually like his commentary work on CFFC cards.

But he embarrassed himself (and the UFC) with his performance. Twice.

CM Punk vs Mike Jackson on the main card of a PPV was the lowest point in modern MMA history IMO.

The UFC should have went with Ed O'Neill...

Ed-ONeill.jpg

It probably has to do with the fact he actually challenged himself. How many of us, let alone pro wrestlers have ever put themselves out in front of millions for a real cage fight?

Most of your post seems to actually be about pro wrestling which I do not watch. But wrestlers, bjj players, judokas, and other “supposed” combat athletes never have to worry about getting punched, or kicked in the face for real. He tried, and obviously failed. But, he tried.

If you’re going to hate on something. This seems like one of the more senseless thing to hate on.

Participation trophy culture + the weird subset of MMA fans who yearn for outsiders coming in and dominating.

Look I was into Punk when I thought he was gonna walk from WWE in 2012. I was with him in 2014 when the Authority was trying to hold him down and he was right there at the now infamous Bootista Royal Rumble when Bryan Danielson's push to the title was undeniable. His last match was the 2014 RR where he drew #1 I still member I was rooting for him or BD.

But this MMA shit was just wack and pathetic. NOT EVEN BORK LASER FOUGHT HIS FIRST FIGHT IN THE UFC. Dana wasn't even proclaiming CM as some super talent. It was almost like he told Dana, "Look, I'm hurting for money and I really don't mind getting my ass kicked, let me fight. I'll be a big draw just like in the E."

I'm convinced he never trained and just cut the weight for the fights. He looked so bad that Dana actually ended up looking equally senseless considering he had zero talent and drew only ok. CM Punk was a glorified stunt man who took MMA bumps for a huge payday.

I respect any one who has the balls to step into the cage and compete...

Dude fought his heart out and tried his best...

Dont let the fact he wasnt good at it after 2 times only get in the way of respecting the fact he still did it..

Imagine doing your first fight with millions watching.... That alone is enough to make people quit...

Why do you hate him so much? Surely him fighting in the UFC is the UFC's fault. He just wanted to try something he loved and was shit at

If you got the chance to fight in the UFC, would you train for a year and do it?

If so, would you deserve “respect” for it?

Btw I don’t respect or disrespect him. I don’t think much about him at all. But I do get the motivations, from his perspective, Dana’s, and fans’.

I mean seriously, TS is still watching WWF in the 2010’s? That’s more questionable to me than a guy negotiating big pay for a chance to fight.

I'm indifferent to his MMA career. I don't care that he lost. Frankly, I don't think he should have ever done it and mOst people would agree. He's a performer, not a fighter.

Back