Why does Colby not get any praise for beating Maia?

Thesnake101

Think about it, it worth it.
@Gold
Reaction score
Yeah, he had an even match on the feet with him in the first round, but after that it was all him. Not to mention that it was two grapplers striking, of course it was going to be ugly and evenly matched there.

Maia was supposed to be a mythical beast that was destroying everybody (minus Masvidal, clear win, but not a destruction) and was long overduenfor a title shot, but somehow he's not an impressive win for Colby? Give me a break.

Hate the guy all you want for being a goofy cunt, but at least give credit where it's due.

Because he got boxed up by a 40 year old BJJ guy for the first round, before Maia gassed out in 2 and 3.

Yeah, it’s still impressive to win a decision over Maia. But he didn’t exactly blow people away with the performance.

He got all kinds of praise for it. Where have you been? He was never considered a title contender before that.

Maia got old after Woodley beat him apparently.

That’s what they say at least.

I guess a part of it is that Colby was saying all sorts of things before the fight like "I'm going to retire him in the first round with my striking", and the irony that followed when it was actually Maia that was piecing him up on the feet during the 1st.

But regardless of that, I agree with you and think that it was an impressive performance. Not many fighters can utilize a gameplan like that against Maia and avoid any positions that allow Maia to take the fight into his comfort zone like Colby did.

I like Maia, but Colby beat him fair and square and to try to take away from that just because his shtick is corny is disingenuous.

Maia punched up Colby on the feet. K1 Maia then proceeded to gas out, and resort the same schtick that caused his previous losses: repeatedly dive for takedowns with no set up.

Colby did a good job staying of the ground after Maia gassed, but the reason I give Colby no praise is because he decision'ed a deflated Maia and then proceeded to act like he knocked out Conor McGregor.

he is a disgusting piece of shit that makes people's skin crawl.
no one wants to praise something that makes their skin crawl.
we didn't come here to take part, we came to mimic the guy who took over.

Look, when you beat Maia....but got tagged up on the feet by MAIA?????

.....Sorry homie, Colby gon' have to take his Sherdog licks. lol

Because he got boxed up by a 40 year old BJJ guy for the first round, before Maia gassed out in 2 and 3.

Yeah, it’s still impressive to win a decision over Maia. But he didn’t exactly blow people away with the performance.
Thread

Cause like a week after the fight he got a boomerang chucked at him and ran crying to the police. Kinda overshadows an ok performance against maia.

Winging sloppy punches against an even sloppier boxer is not impressive. Especially when the sloppier boxer bursts you open and bloodies your face up.
But it's ok though, he stuck his tongue out at Maia to show he was ok :)

What’s really imprsssive is getting a decision with in Brazil

One judge had it 30-26

It's the only thing he's done I do give him any credit for

maxresdefault.jpg

Demian Maia did that to him. Demian Maia.

Imagine what RDA will do.

Well for me it was clear by the end of the fight that Maia was/is the more technical and superior fighter, overall speaking.
Colby won because Maia gassed out at the end of R1, better conditioning won it for him, what it's understandable considering their age difference.
I was there and it was insanely hot in the arena, so Maia gassing out after only 1 round of striking is also understandable. Won't happen with RDA, he's going to Chicago to be embarrassed and destroyed. Live on PPV.

Because it exposed how awkwardly bad his standup is. Imagine what a guy like lawler or woodley would do to him where they could just sprawl and brawl. He'd actually get koed in the first

People seemed to have a lot of problems with how Woodley beat Maia (which is fair to a point as it was a shitty fight), and Woodley did far more damage and took a lot less back than Covington did. I'm actually someone who has long thought that Covington is a very promising prospect (I remember the crying about excitement when he beat Pyle in what was a solid all around performance for someone with his experience at the time), but if he can't get his guy down, he's going to run into some trouble at the top of the division. He's a decent fighter with a tiresome gimmick; that's not going to get a lot of people excited.

He got a lot of praise........the Brazilian fans loved him.

Back