Why Does the Head and Arm Throw Work in WMMA?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time a man got a head and arm toss yet in WMMA it happens in every fight. I'm sure many males could do that but would expose their back which is a big reason why it isn't used. In WMMA the women seem to toss them right into head arm side control and the person getting thrown seems complexly off guard. Randa Markos is one of the stand outs for me who executes primarily head arm throws for takedowns yet some of her opponents still get taken down with them without attempting to take the back. Valentina also uses this throw pretty much as her primary takedown but she might just be that strong.

What do you mean by head and arm throw? Like a greco-roman headlock / kubi nage?

Maybe the difference in upper body size and strength has some influence over it?

What do you mean by head and arm throw? Like a greco-roman headlock / kubi nage?
giphy.gif

ufc-175-rr-throwwatermarked.gif

InconsequentialUnconsciousFalcon-max-1mb.gif

168-4.gif

You literally control their HEAD and their ARM and THROW them to their arm side.

....to answer the question, I'm inclined to agree with the first reply. This is probably a skill/evolution of the sport thing.

He know's what a kubi nage is, "head and arm choke" is the lay man's term. Of course he know's what it is.
So he's just being a dick is what you're saying. The arm triangle is an accepted term but I'm sure it has some weird old school BJJ term as well.

I can't remember the last time a man got a head and arm toss yet in WMMA it happens in every fight. I'm sure many males could do that but would expose their back which is a big reason why it isn't used. In WMMA the women seem to toss them right into head arm side control and the person getting thrown seems complexly off guard. Randa Markos is one of the stand outs for me who executes primarily head arm throws for takedowns yet some of her opponents still get taken down with them without attempting to take the back. Valentina also uses this throw pretty much as her primary takedown but she might just be that strong.

A general lack of skill and athleticism.

weigh less and less skilled

Attachments

• AntoninaVenumKit.png
    AntoninaVenumKit.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 7

Its a power related throw...the woman pulling it off seem to have a strength advantage over there opponents ..

We just dont see these kinds of strength differences in mens MMA... otherwise wed see it more...its definitely been done in mens MMA years though

So he's just being a dick is what you're saying. The arm triangle is an accepted term but I'm sure it has some weird old school BJJ term as well.
Being a dick? On sherdog??? Never!!
<LikeReally5>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back