Why Does the UFC Keep Such a Big Roster?

Wardum

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It's always puzzled me why the UFC keeps such a big roster. (~600?)

Why doesn't the UFC just cut it down to say ~300 and only keep the elite / high potential fighters.

Then the UFC can just make more stacked cards and that profit can get redistributed.

Fans get more exciting cards and fighters can get paid more as there are less mouths to feed.

Why doesn't the UFC just cut it down to say ~300 and only keep the elite / high potential fighters.
Because the UFC is not omniscient.

I know this is hard for people to understand, but the UFC doesn't actually know in advance who the best fighters are. The only way to find out is to have them fight each other.

How is the UFC supposed to know who the top 30 fighters are that they are supposed to sign?

Should every fighter who loses their first two UFC fights be automatically cut? If that's the case, guys like Rountree, Merab and RDA would have been gone.

Big > small.
giphy.gif

Always a dummy in here with a stupid brain
It's always puzzled me why the UFC keeps such a big roster. (~600?)

Then the UFC can just make more stacked cards and that profit can get redistributed.

Fans get more exciting cards and fighters can get paid more as there are less mouths to feed

Number of cards per year, also they have to agree to fight, its not like its mandatory, specially at the mid-elite level.

Less cards. More hassle matchmaking. Less business. Less money. Less audience. Etc etc.

I miss the Fertittas keeping Dana in check and more merit-based rewards, but I'll always take a weekend with fights over a weekend without them.
This only applies in the spring and summer to me. In the fall and winter between football, basketball and wrasslin there's no need for a card every weekend.

But to answer the question how else can the UFC keep their monopoly competitive advantage without having so many fighters on the roster?

This only applies in the spring and summer to me. In the fall and winter between football, basketball and wrasslin there's no need for a card every weekend.

But to answer the question how else can the UFC keep their monopoly competitive advantage without having so many fighters on the roster?
I watch MMA and Soccer, so I have a lot of time for fights.

Back