Opinion Why doesnt the US have paid maternity leave?

we’ve had higher birth rates than comparable societies without it. If we had paid maternity leave it would do very little to boost birth rates, since that has very little to do with birth rates.

we’ve had higher birth rates than comparable societies without it. If we had paid maternity leave it would do very little to boost birth rates, since that has very little to do with birth rates.
OK sure, but I think children raised with parents in the home more will be better off. I took 3 months with mine and it barely felt like enough. My wife took a year. Anything less seems insane.

It’s a free market thing. Some companies do it. Government jobs also do it.

Who pays for it in other countries, the companies or the government?

It’s a free market thing. Some companies do it. Government jobs also do it.

Who pays for it in other countries, the companies or the government?

A combination in the UK. The government provides so much of it and the employer provides so much of it. The employer doesn't have to provide it if someone started within a certain period of time so the person would get less in those circumstances but would still get something.

Hell as the father even I got a month paid paternity leave.

I think this would help with a lot of the issues with families dissolving and young folks not having kids.
Pretty much every other first world nation is able to do this.

Why do you feel that would help with birthrates, especially since pretty much every other first world nation has shrinking birthrates?

The EU, for example, has been declining for 15 years.

Some employers offer it, some don't.

Some also offer paternity leave.

Unfortunately for me, I had my first during my junior year of high school and there wasn't leave at all. So I had worked and went to school with no leave at all.

Leave? Fucking bitch-made.

I kid, I kid.

It is mental. I always shake my head when I find out how little annual leave (vacation days) Americans have. It's like 50% less than us in the UK, and that's just for someone like me who's like a mid-level guy. My superiors get like 45-50 days of vacation a year.

A friend of mine in Australia has 2 years for maternity leave

Much respek for that

So do they hire someone to cover that person's position for 2 years and then get rid of them when the woman is ready to return back to work?

Back