Why don't I ever see shoulder throws in mma?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
like this.

is it just not possible to modify it for no gi, or is giving your back not good on the risk/benefit ratio?

It can be done early in the fight... Later it becomes much more difficult due to sweat.

Oh yes and there have been people who have pulled it off in fights. Although hip throws/trips would be more common.
care to list some of those fights please? No links is ok i can google it myself.

Wrestling has the arm spin too, so it definitely works without a gi, but it's much nicer with one! I've seen a few good ones in MMA. Karo Parisyan had a few - especially against Dave Strasser. Rick Hawn had some too, before he forgot he was a judo player. It might have been against Levon Maynard?

And then there's a guy now, he fights for Legacy, or something like that. He's knocking dudes out with it.

It's high risk without modifying to an undertook.

There is more to judo than the seionag, however judo throws dependent on the sleeve grip to secure the opponent after the throw are not used because it is a waste of energy in an email fight if the guy can just pop back up.

like this.

is it just not possible to modify it for no gi, or is giving your back not good on the risk/benefit ratio?
Funny, most attempts I see at shoulder throws end in success.

Luis Gomez has won two fights with shoulder throw KO's.

Ashley Yoder has a good shoulder throw.
Karo Parisyan has hit several.
And of course, this classic:

Kids these days!

Never heard of Karo Parisian!

My word!

trying to throw a good grappler is very hard due to them knowing back control or a wrestlerwho has a low base

throws can work but i think its wayyyy to unsafe to have it your first option it should be your second attack like you get underhook reach for single elg if he sprawls that leg back he opens his hips to step through and land it

it has to be set up like that to hit on a good guy

Kids these days!

Never heard of Karo Parisian!

My word!
he did them way back in the day he cant land them anymore thats why he got cut khabib can get away with them due to having strong low body attacks along with body locks too

if they know your game is throws its gonna be hard to land vs a guy who know show to grapple

The reality is that it's lower percentage without the Gi

They can still be pulled off obviously but the Gi makes them more effective.

care to list some of those fights please? No links is ok i can google it myself.
Joe Daddy vs Luke cummo tuf 2 finale

Edit: was kind of a modified version. Might not be what you’re looking for.

like this.

I believe Joe Riggs lost a fight via this throw. Corey Devela a relative unknown uses a lot of judo and he tossed Riggs pretty good. The whole fight used to be on YouTube but I can't find the clip.

I believe Joe Riggs lost a fight via this throw. Corey Devela a relative unknown uses a lot of judo and he tossed Riggs pretty good. The whole fight used to be on YouTube but I can't find the clip.
It was a monster harai goshi that killed Riggs, if I remember correctly.

So, it is feasible.
<{ohyeah}>

Feasible yes, but why settle for something that demands your limited training time merely to make feasible when you could have something that rewards you for your limited training time spent on it instead?

That said, arm spins in wrestling/no-gi tend to be more... side-to-side, than strait back, if you feel my meaning. Because of aforementioned lack of friction and grips. If you can imagine it, it's basically like twisting yourself into an after arm drag position, while dragging them at the same time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back