Why don't more fighters use their Free eye-poke?

Many do, they apply the “rake face” defense style and get away with it

This problem won’t go away until this whole “accidental” interpretation of the rules goes away. Eye pokes will always look accidental, even if they aren’t. You need to make it clear that it’s the fighter’s responsibility to keep their fingers out of their opponent’s face, and they’ll loose points if they fail, that’s it, no more “accidental” bullshit.

Rugby did the same with high tackles, players used to get away with it until they instruct ref to make it the tacklers responsibility, then the problem was mostly resolved. It doesn’t even require a rule change.

Sadly MMA refs and commissions are both stupid and incompetent and possibly corrupt too.

Last edited:
Supposedly Greg Jackson was instructing all of his fighters to do just that. People were posting like 10 years ago that Jackson's gym was telling their fighters to take the free fouls.

Supposedly Greg Jackson was instructing all of his fighters to do just that. People were posting like 10 years ago that Jackson's gym was telling their fighters to take the free fouls.

I think it was winklejohn that was leading that push.

I think because real gyms and fighters look down on that type of stuff and it happens because most of the time it actually is unintentional.

But…..

For those that are truly moral-less and desperate, I believe they do make attempts but I’m sure it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Sorry to break this to you dude, most pro-figters are crazy in some way and don't have a problem with seriously hurting people. If you have made it to the pros, you have overcome hesitation in hurting others. The guys that don't get past that hesitation usually don't get out of the amateurs.

If hurting people badly is a problem, being a pro-fighter is not for you.
Stop talking out of your ass. There is a massive difference between hurting someone badly as a by product of a sanctioned fight where you are following the rules, and deliberately injuring someone with malicious intent, it blows my mind that this even needs to be explained and if you can't wrap your mind around that, then there is something off with you. You don't need to be a psychopath or have no problem hurting others to fight professionally, that's completely ridiculous. Almost every event you see fighters look at the ref pleadingly, because they'd rather not have to beat the shit out of their opponent when they are done, many guys don't even have amateur careers they go straight to the pros, so I don't know when they learn to become ruthless assassins with no regard for others, honestly one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while

Stop talking out of your ass. There is a massive difference between hurting someone badly as a by product of a sanctioned fight where you are following the rules, and deliberately injuring someone with malicious intent, it blows my mind that this even needs to be explained and if you can't wrap your mind around that, then there is something off with you. You don't need to be a psychopath or have no problem hurting others to fight professionally, that's completely ridiculous. Almost every event you see fighters look at the ref pleadingly, because they'd rather not have to beat the shit out of their opponent when they are done, many guys don't even have amateur careers they go straight to the pros, so I don't know when they learn to become ruthless assassins with no regard for others, honestly one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while
You are wrong. I know and have trained with 100s of pros. Some feel bad after the fact, but in a fight they are trying to hit you hard enough to kill you. They have to be that way, because that's what the other guy is doing. That's why if you lack that killer, you're probably not being a pro because the guy that throwing with malicious intent is going to win most of the time (at relatively even skill) And yes, many are complete fucking pyscopaths (an outdated term btw). Step inside a gym sometime.

Fighters should not be your heroes, they are not noble warriors. As they age, some lose that malisciousness and don't last long after.

It bemuses me no end people still think that chivalry, bushido or martial arts codes of honor are real. They are not and were never outside imaginary ideological world. They are, for the most part, propaganda. Here, in the real world, fighting is about hurting people. You realise people die in combat sport? An aberrant personality is almost a requirement to be a profighter not the exception. Ask them, most will tell you they are a bit crazy.

To ignore you go for being a moron.

Ps keep your psycobabble to yourself. If theres something wrong with anyone it's you. It's the fact you arrogantly make proclamations about topics you clearly know nothing about and then presume to judge others when they correct you instead of listening. You are probably a narcissist.

Last edited:
It may seem like the first foul is free, but it also brings you a step closer to getting a full point deduction if you accidentally foul again, which can happen.

Given how dramatic a full point deduction is in a three round fight, it probably wouldn't be a good strategy.

It may seem like the first foul is free, but it also brings you a step closer to getting a full point deduction if you accidentally foul again, which can happen.

Given how dramatic a full point deduction is in a three round fight, it probably wouldn't be a good strategy.

When was the last time you saw that point taken? It's a great investment to partially blind someone with the only punishment being maybe a point taken if you do it again.

The risk reward is skewed atm.

This is why only a very very small minority of fighters use PED's

You never see pros going off the rails outside of the ring...

No fighters have ever said anything along the lines of "if I hadn't found X combat sports I'd either be dead or in jail."

To clarify by what I mean by all fighters are a bit (to a lot) crazy. Firstly, it's not an insult. You can be bit (or a lot) crazy and still be a good bloke, you can be totally sane and a complete arsehole.

For example, all Heroes (and villians) in literature are some degree of crazy, it's what defines them as heroes (o Vs); the abilty to do things, achieve feats that others cannot or will not do. It's how they become the exception.

In fighting as a pro one of those things is the will to hurt others, among other things, and the abilty to succeed against other people who have that same will to hurt others.Youll see different rationalizations for that will, including but not limited to
- the hurt is a side effect of my skill.
- it's just a sport
- I like to hurt people and MMA let's me do so without risking legal repercussions.

The rational doesn't actually matter, because the effect is the same, being comfortable with hurting others.
This is one thing among many that make pro fighters degrees of crazy imo.

Last edited:
If you think giving yourself an injection or swallowing a tablet has the same kind of mental block behind it as deliberately gouging someone's eyes you're just plain dumb, that's all there is to it

If you think giving yourself an injection or swallowing a tablet has the same kind of mental block behind it as deliberately gouging someone's eyes you're just plain dumb, that's all there is to it
I think most fighters who put themselves in a career where they already have to make major concessions to not wanting to harm others AND they think their lives depend on their success AND know they're facing someone who also made those concessions and possibly more and have the same driving motivation in a highly competitive manner will often end up in an "All"s fair in war" mentality.

I more than think that, as a matter of fact. I know it

As a dude always trying to “1-up” the system, I have thought the same thing. The rules and consequences kind of open the door to this.

It can ruin that fight into a NC. The fans can turn on you and officials. You could unintentioally foul again but now it's 2. Your opponent can seek revenge ala Stipe DC.

Deduct money from there payout in fines based on eyeholes and fouls. That's the only way things will change.

Deduct money from there payout in fines based on eyeholes and fouls. That's the only way things will change.

Back