Why don't we see 6'9" freaks like Fury dominate MMA?

Tbh it can easily be considered that. Before Fury became who he is the k bros destroyed everyone and people said the division was weak. Idk if it’s the weakest ever myself but it’s not the strongest it’s ever been that’s for damn sure
I’d agree it’s not the best it’s ever been, but it’s far from the worst. Most casual fans were/are spoiled because they grew up in the second or third best heavyweight era ever (with names like Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, old Foreman, and a host of lesser fighters that would have dominated most other eras like Tua, Briggs, and Morrison), which dovetailed into the Klitschko era, which was again very good (not 90’s good, but good).

They don’t understand just how wretched heavyweight has historically been, for long periods of time. When you have champions like Primo Carnera and Jess Willard at the top, then we can talk about the division being the worst ever.

When you have specimens like Deontay Wilder with his damn retard strength, knocking people out with a punch to the forehead, and gigantic heavyweights like Fury who move like a cruiser weight, that’s not a bad division.

There aren’t many periods in heavyweight history where Tyson Fury wouldn’t be a champion. It’s almost guaranteed he isn’t the best heavyweight had he been competing in the 90’s, or in Ali’s era, but other than that, I’m hard-pressed to think of any other era where he doesn’t just blow guys out of the water.

Tyson Fury is an all-time great heavyweight. He’s got an argument of being top 20, maybe top 15. Head-to-head I’d put him even higher, if it’s just based on who beats whom.

They dont make as much in MMA as compared to what? Wrestling? K.
Professional wrestlers make a shit ton of money. Far more than anyone in MMA not named Conor McGregor. Even Conor needed Floyd Mayweather to make the money he’s made.

Professional wrestlers make a shit ton of money. Far more than anyone in MMA not named Conor McGregor. Even Conor needed Floyd Mayweather to make the money he’s made.
Oh we are talking about pro wrestling now? lol

And we assume they will just be the next kurt angle?

Struve, Bigfoot and Travis Browne all sucked
I wouldn't say that. Bigfoot had wins over Fedor, Overeem and some other big names and fought for the UFC title. Browne also had some pretty nice wins (Barnett, Overeem, etc.) and was dangerous and a pretty good fighter until Edwin or whatever his name was ruined him.

An NBA team of all 7 footers would get destroyed. It's a team sport, you need a balance of attributes. I'm not sure it applies at all to combat sports.
What are you trying to say? Do you know what the thread is about? did you read my comment properly?
Type clearly.

Any great athletes who are over 6’6” would be in the NBA or pack on weight and being an O-Tackle a NFL.

A freak 6’9” athlete is exactly what the NBA is now.

Can easily make $10mil a year in NBA as a talk lankey athlete and not have to get punched. In fact you can flop when you get hit with a strong gust of wind.

Any 6’ 9” athlete worth a fuck is likely making millions in real sports.

When the money's right you'll see 6'9 guys dominating this shit.

They don’t understand just how wretched heavyweight has historically been, for long periods of time. When you have champions like Primo Carnera and Jess Willard at the top, then we can talk about the division being the worst ever.
I don't know the entire boxing HW history very well but it was pretty strong from Sonny Liston to the Klitshkos. The weakest period in my lifetime was Tyson's prime, as he didn't have much competition, certainly not prime Ali/Foreman/Frazier/Norton/Lyle/Shavers (70s) or prime Lewis/Holyfied in the 90s (both of them fought during Tyson's 80s prime were still developing). I'm thinking Rocky Marciano's reign was a bit like Tyson's (not great competition) but I'm not sure. Nor do I know much about the 7 years or so between Marciano and Liston.

Not true

Height is a huge advantage in both wrestling and BJJ if you know how to use it right, especially in MMA.

Look at Jones for example, his leverage advantage works wonders when defending takedowns or in the clinch.
Jones is 6'4", not anywhere near 6'9". All the giants (6'6"+) that have fought in MMA have had pretty abysmal TDD.

Reactions: HHJ
wresting seminars, sponsorships, coaching, wrestling schools, just being an Olympian alone gets you a ton of clinics every year lol
Cmon son

Varleans lost to Igor vov who was a full foot shorter
Yeah, I never said he was very skilled. Marco Ruas also beat him by repeated leg kicks for like 13 minutes, and Kimo and Tank beat him as well. But he was a giant. And he managed to win this fight against a more skilled fighter.

A, the selection pool is super limited for guys that size.

B, MMA isn't a thing at teenage and younger levels for organized sports outside of training. Boxing has pathways to competition for youth while they are in their youth.

C, Most kids who show promise of that kind of size are directed to basketball at an early age.

If he's beating bums, then he's not really good either.

Also, Usyk is actually the best guy in the division, which is why Fury is making a bunch of excuses about not fighting him.

Usyk is awesome. He won't be able to overcome the physicality of GK though.

Being that tall and being able to move your legs well is extremely rare. Look at Chris Pronger in the NHL for another extremely rare example.

It's almost as if different sports have strength or weaknesses to the same physical attributes.
<TheWire1>

Back