Opinion Why healthcare in US is so expensive?

Short answer: they dont have single-payer

Longer answer: Its basically a big Ponzi scheme the government has allowed to spiral out-of-control. There are parasitic middlemen(HMOS) who cause the costs to rise significantly without adding anything to the final product. Also the doctor compensation costs have spiraled out of whack as people become docs as path to wealth rather than helping people. Also the billing process is unnecessarily complicated and retarded which also adds costs. To justify all of this the industry has tried to convince Murkans healthcare is a 'luxury' that only people with lavish incomes should be able to afford.

Because we basically pay for the rest of the worlds R&D in medicine.
Great post. Not only Guinea pigs, but we pay extraordinary prices for the right for someone to test their formulas on us! <45> incredible

Short answer: they dont have single-payer

Longer answer: Its basically a big Ponzi scheme the government has allowed to spiral out-of-control. There are parasitic middlemen(HMOS) who cause the costs to rise significantly without adding anything to the final product. Also the doctor compensation costs have spiraled out of whack as people become docs as path to wealth rather than helping people. Also the billing process is unnecessarily complicated and retarded which also adds costs. To justify all of this the industry has tried to convince Murkans healthcare is a 'luxury' that only people with lavish incomes should be able to afford.

Hi Sohei. I do think most doctors do choose that path because of a desire to make a positive impact on the lives of others. the economic reward only materializes at the periphery of the industry at the highest levels (neurosurgery, plastics). many GPs and OR docs are far from wealthy given the cost of the schooling. and many attending physicians make less than junior marketing people a few years out of undergrad.

i think the real issue is the uninsured costs, the malpractice risk and the gross inefficiency of the system (as you point out). it's definitely shitty but i don't think the actual practitioners are the ones to blame.

Hi Sohei. I do think most doctors do choose that path because of a desire to make a positive impact on the lives of others. the economic reward only materializes at the periphery of the industry at the highest levels (neurosurgery, plastics). many GPs and OR docs are far from wealthy given the cost of the schooling. and many attending physicians make less than junior marketing people a few years out of undergrad.

i think the real issue is the uninsured costs, the malpractice risk and the gross inefficiency of the system (as you point out). it's definitely shitty but i don't think the actual practitioners are the ones to blame.

The info Ive seen suggest between a third and a half of Murkan docs wont accept Medicaid patients, and a significant amount who do discriminate against them. This suggest that a majority or close to it enter the profession just for the money and not to actually help people.

We don’t provide healthcare in America we provide health insurance. we are slaves to the insurance companies.

They come first.

my two cents:

-people are living longer but have to deal with medical conditions that would have other wise killed them.
-people that cant afford medical care get treated in the ER (which cost more) or let their conditions worsen until they are seen (which costs more)
-due to people without health care coverage not paying, the shift of costs go to those that can pay
-hospitals have to make a profit to stay in business

i had healthcare, was $110 a month before Obama. Went from that to $400 a month. Now i dont have healthcare.

my two cents:

-people are living longer but have to deal with medical conditions that would have other wise killed them.
-people that cant afford medical care get treated in the ER (which cost more) or let their conditions worsen until they are seen (which costs more)
-due to people without health care coverage not paying, the shift of costs go to those that can pay
-hospitals have to make a profit to stay in business
the sad truth is life insurance and healthcare providers want you to die. So does the government.

Because hospitals/clinics are for-profit and the amount of money that Doctors have to pay to get their degrees, they expect to earn back quickly in their profession.

This is why I think healthcare should be part of our tax system. It wouldn't eliminate private care but it would ensure your average person could afford and get care by paying into the tax system.

About 10 years ago, I broke my ankle and drove myself to the ER. I walked out with a $3000 bill for using the ER and that was after insurance. You have to pretty much hope that you never get hurt or majorly sick in the US. It's the end of you financially.

moving health care into the tax system wont work; there are about 76 million people in america that dont pay taxes. why should they benefit from something they arent paying into.

the sad truth is life insurance and healthcare providers want you to die. So does the government.

basically, they want you to live long enough and keep paying into a system that you wont benefit from

Probably to cover all the lawsuits/malpractice. We have so many ambulance chasers. Half of the Yellow pages is nothing but attorneys.

It's not of you have decent insurance with a low deductable. Medical facilities overcharge because they want to have profits on par with insurance companies.

Administration spending as the US doubles and triples that of other first world nations.

Dr's get paid for their knowledge and skills as they should compared to other nations

US funds 45 percent of the worlds biomedical research.

Side note the quality is awesome and over 50 of the worlds top 100 hospitals of which 9 out of the top 10 and 17 out of the top 20 are American. So, you get what you pay for

The powers that be are sucking as much as they possibly can, while they can, out of the middle class. Their politician friends are helping. Thee end.

The truth is the truth.

If it has implications on policy, then it is worth mentioning.

You don't set policy or have a need to interpret the data so why else would you care?

There is no reason for you to mention it.

It's pertinent information to the debate, is it not?

Why would a Conor McGregor fan in England ever have to care about the rate of different health issues in different demographics in America?

Back