Why I hate the alphabet sanctioning bodies (and you should too)

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
TL/DR - boxing politics suck

So for the first time in roughly a quarter of a century we have a unified undisputed HW champion.

And within the next two weeks it is expected that the IBF will strip Usyk (or begin the process leading to Usyk being stripped of the IBF strap) for honoring his contract to give Fury a rematch, which is tentatively set for October.

Everyone knew that this was going to be a 2 fight deal. This isn't a surprise.

Per the article the IBF plans to strip Usyk and make Hrgovic's next fight for the vacant strap.

No disrespect to Hrgovic but that will be a tissue paper title as everyone knows that the real champ is Usyk and any title attained without beating him is not a true championship.

Fuck these politics and whatever financially motivated reasoning behind this shit. No one wants there to be numerous champions in the same division. The entire point of a CHAMPION is THAT being champion signifies a SINGULAR victor who has attained a position as the best. "World champion" should mean best in the world not one of 3, 4, 6 or 8 belts in the same weight class... no super champion or junior champion, just a champion.

In the days of Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, the champ was the champ.

Now we have gotten to a point where it is much more likely that 2 fighters in the same division will both be undefeated champions and not face eachother, and when they finally get around to fighting to determine a true champ, one of their belts will be stripped 2 weeks later to make a new champ so another fight can get a belt slapped on it to add to the gate sales and squeeze a few extra bucks out of it.

/rant

(And yes I know this is mostly common knowledge and I am not dropping ground breaking revelations here, I am just annoyed and venting.)

Belts are gimmicks used by promoters to suck in casuals. All you have to do to escape your frustration is let go of that ideal notion that the best fighter is always known and they have a trinket that cements this.

So for the first time in roughly a quarter of a century we have a unified undisputed HW champion.

And within the next two weeks it is expected that the IBF will strip Usyk (or begin the process leading to Usyk being stripped of the IBF strap) for honoring his contract to give Fury a rematch, which is tentatively set for October.

Per the article the IBF plans to strip Usyk and make Hrgovic's next fight for the vacant strap.

No disrespect to Hrgovic but that will be a tissue paper title as everyone knows that the real champ is Usyk and any title attained without beating him is not a true championship.

Fuck these politics and whatever financially motivated reasoning behind this shit. No one wants there to be numerous champions in the same division. The entire point of a CHAMPION is THAT being champion signifies a SINGULAR victor who has attained a position as the best. "World champion" should mean best in the world not one of 3, 4, 6 or 8 belts in the same weight class... no super champion or junior champion, just a champion.

Now we have gotten to a point where it is much more likely that 2 fighters in the same division will both be undefeated champions and not face eachother, and when they finally get around to fighting to determine a true champ, one of their belts will be stripped 2 weeks later to make a new champ so another fight can get a belt slapped on it to add to the gate sales and squeeze a few extra bucks out of it.

/rant

(And yes I know this is mostly common knowledge and I am not dropping ground breaking revelations here, I am just annoyed and venting.)
I agree. It's BS but we knew it was going to happen. The important thing is that Usyk's name is now etched into the history books as the first four-belt undisputed heavyweight champion. The Saudis also knew that the IBF would quickly move to strip the winner so they created an actual undisputed belt. As far as I know it isn't a sanctioning body recognized world title, and I'm not even sure if it's transferable (can be won/lost), but it symbolizes the undisputed heavyweight championship.
Oleksandr-Usyk_undisputed.jpg

Usyk is the man now, no matter what the IBF does.
They'll be stripping him in like 8 or 9 days unless he vacates it before then. His contractual obligation with Fury prevents him from defending against their mandatory next. Doesn't really matter now. He became undisputed and will still have 3 of the 4 world titles. We waited 25 years for an undisputed heavyweight champion and it'll only last 2 weeks.

I agree. It's BS but we knew it was going to happen. The important thing is that Usyk's name is now etched into the history books as the first four-belt undisputed heavyweight champion. The Saudis also knew that the IBF would quickly move to strip the winner so they created an actual undisputed belt. As far as I know it isn't a sanctioning body recognized world title, and I'm not even sure if it's transferable (can be won/lost), but it symbolizes the undisputed heavyweight championship.
Oleksandr-Usyk_undisputed.jpg
did I read somewhere it was blessed by the Pope or did I dream it

eh, I'm not a big fan of fighters holding belts hostage and the guys paying the fees just never getting their shot. If Usyk doesn't care to defend his belt against the challengers ranked beneath him, then he doesn't deserve it. There's a ranking system among the organizations for a reason.

Its a shame he earned the unification but if you've been around, people tend to ignore the champions who fight for the other belts unless they really look like a threat. Ya, sure it's a pain and it's stupid but it's the way it's been since I was a young fan in the 80's. Best fighting the best is the best way to cut through all the shit and the boxers and their managers take all the blame for that when it doesn't happen. We know who the champion is. In Larry Holmes' time, the belts were fragmented, but we hardly remember all those other guys today, Larry was the champion. Hagler did a real cold thing, he just told the IBF that he wasn't going to be ordered to do anything by anyone and they left him alone. That's rare and shows just how much respect Hagler commanded.

Its a shame he earned the unification but if you've been around, people tend to ignore the champions who fight for the other belts unless they really look like a threat. Ya, sure it's a pain and it's stupid but it's the way it's been since I was a young fan in the 80's. Best fighting the best is the best way to cut through all the shit and the boxers and their managers take all the blame for that when it doesn't happen. We know who the champion is. In Larry Holmes' time, the belts were fragmented, but we hardly remember all those other guys today, Larry was the champion. Hagler did a real cold thing, he just told the IBF that he wasn't going to be ordered to do anything by anyone and they left him alone. That's rare and shows just how much respect Hagler commanded.
The IBF is quick to strip fighters. They're strict. It isn't because Usyk doesn't want to fight their contender, who he'd be handily favored to beat, it's because he already has a signed contract with Fury. They have a two-fight deal. Evidently Fury activated the rematch clause so they're going to run it back which means that the IBF will strip him. It's hard to collect all 4 belts but it's really easy to lose them.

The IBF is quick to strip fighters. They're strict. It isn't because Usyk doesn't want to fight their contender, who he'd be handily favored to beat, it's because he already has a signed contract with Fury. They have a two-fight deal. Evidently Fury activated the rematch clause so they're going to run it back which means that the IBF will strip him. It's hard to collect all 4 belts but it's really easy to lose them.
well, they should have some ruling or way to collaborate for when a man wins all titles but that'll never happen, so. We know who the man is.

well, they should have some ruling or way to collaborate for when a man wins all titles but that'll never happen, so. We know who the man is.
Just now I read that Usyk's team has filed for an exception. Champions are allowed to do this. Guess we'll see what happens.

IBF president: “As far as the IBF rules go, any reigning champion is going to be able to ask for an exception. Any reigning champion can ask for an exception to any IBF rule. They have the right to.”

Usyk Asks IBF For An Exception To Maintain His Undisputed Crown

eh, I'm not a big fan of fighters holding belts hostage and the guys paying the fees just never getting their shot. If Usyk doesn't care to defend his belt against the challengers ranked beneath him, then he doesn't deserve it. There's a ranking system among the organizations for a reason.
You mean like what Canelo is doing to Benavidez? Usyk did defend against one of his mandatories fight before last. Dubois was his WBA mandatory. Prior to that fight he had to give Joshua a rematch. They activated the clause. Same thing with Fury here.

you cant just sit on belts, fighters agreeing to a fight and signing rematch clauses are the big problem here

other contenders are fighting to get ranking to fight for a world title, if these guys at the top are constantly putting rematch clauses in, it just ruins rankings

you cant just sit on belts, fighters agreeing to a fight and signing rematch clauses are the big problem here

other contenders are fighting to get ranking to fight for a world title, if these guys at the top are constantly putting rematch clauses in, it just ruins rankings
In Usyk's case it's the rematch clauses that are attached to the marquee names of the heavyweight division that have been getting in the way. He was never going to get the Fury & Joshua fights in the first place without them having a rematch clause in there. The Fury vs Usyk fight was an exception. Since it was an undisputed title fight it took precedence over any mandatories. Title unifications are supposed to do that.

Usyk is past the point of having belts means anything. He could lose all 4 belts, have that cheap undisputed belt taken away and the ring belt and he'd still be viewed as the real heavyweight champion. it's hard to keep all 4 belts because of this. having to face mandatories but In my honest opinion he out grew.

Usyk is past the point of having belts means anything. He could lose all 4 belts, have that cheap undisputed belt taken away and the ring belt and he'd still be viewed as the real heavyweight champion. it's hard to keep all 4 belts because of this. having to face mandatories but In my honest opinion he out grew.
Yeah the issue is that even if you do manage to collect all of the titles you'll now have up to 4 mandatories at a time to defend against. All it takes is a single rematch clause in there to prevent them from defending against a mandatory and they'll be stripped or forced to vacate. If they simply ignore a rematch clause after it's been activated then they face legal repercussions.

Usyk would likely be sued if he ignored the Fury rematch and instead fought his IBF mandatory next (currently Hrgovic). Losing any of the belts ultimately doesn't matter now. He's already won them all at cruiser & heavyweight.

/rant

Aa far as I'm aware the IBF will be competed for by Dubois & *Hrgovic? With AJ being the challenger to whoever wins it.

Basically the IBF are setting up the trilogy between AJ & Usyk next year.

So for a change that might actually be a good thing one of these bodies is doing.

But overall I agree its too complex and could do with streamlining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john_k47
Back