Why in God's name do people live in Home Owners Associations?

Can someone explain the premise of HOAs? That sounds completely foreign to me. I am used to cunty neighbors the old fashioned way, not some kind of group of them.

Have you ever had a neighbor that just absolutely did not take care of his yard? Have you ever wished their was a neighborhood pool?

That is why they exist.

Have you ever had a neighbor that just absolutely did not take care of his yard? Have you ever wished their was a neighborhood pool?

That is why they exist.

Yeah absolutely have had those neighbors. Honestly, I don't care - for better or for worse - as long as it doesn't get extremely out of hand. If a dude doesn't cut his grass for a couple weeks, idgaf.

People in my neighborhood bitched when I was building a brand new nice fence for my backyard. Retired people with nothing better to do are real cunts. I think people should mind their own business for the most part.

If you live in Condo or Townhouse and you have some sort of shared services or maintenance, then they make sense.... assuming the fees aren't high as shit. I think that in some places they jack up the HOA fees because of the area and know they can get away with over charging.

Anyways, that's the main reason my first house is going to be a single family home... because I don't want to share walls with anyone and I don't want to pay HOA fees. Paying HOA fees for a single family house is fucking retarded. Anyone that says "we'll they keep the property value high is delusional." Maybe don't move to shitty area and you won't have that problem. In San Diego there is absolutely no reason for it, property values are high anywhere without them.

I will always live in a hoa. I don't want to live next to some dilapidated pos that is an overgrown jungle with trash and junk everywhere.

Example
JMhnxjqPRcpTaoP-800x450-noPad.jpg

I'm in one. Its bullshit, they don't do anything useful. Can't wait to move, Fuck'em.

HOA's are usually great, but this guy ran my last one:

QzkAw2k_1TbrdxHctiA6hUisO_6SOSGNZv3zrz63u4M.png

He was a real pain in the ass.

Anyone that says "we'll they keep the property value high is delusional." Maybe don't move to shitty area and you won't have that problem. In San Diego there is absolutely no reason for it, property values are high anywhere without them.

In San Diego sure your property value will always be high. Now come to Texas and try not living in an HOA. It doesn't matter what area you try to live in you will eventually get the people who group up with like 5 people to buy\rent a house and then proceed to not do shit. Mowing he lawn is always the main issue with these people they don't want to do it and don't want to pay anyone to do it.

Then they don't have enough parking or there cars break down and stay on the side of the road for years or even worse in their lawn for years.

You pull that shit here. The HOA will have someone mow your lawn and send you the bill.

I loathe HOA, would never purchase a house with HOA. However, there are extremes on the other side. I've seen in my area ( SoTX), houses with no grass control, and several junked cars in the front that "are being worked on". This apparently devalues property of others and creates unintended hazards, particularly when vermin begin hanging around.

My HOA pays for the pool, the cut my grass and power wash my townhouse

I loathe HOA, would never purchase a house with HOA. However, there are extremes on the other side. I've seen in my area ( SoTX), houses with no grass control, and several junked cars in the front that "are being worked on". This apparently devalues property of others and creates unintended hazards, particularly when vermin begin hanging around.

I live in Houston Tx and the parked cars and horrible lawns are very common in non HOA areas. It's to common IMO to even take the chance.

In San Diego sure your property value will always be high. Now come to Texas and try not living in an HOA. It doesn't matter what area you try to live in you will eventually get the people who group up with like 5 people to buy\rent a house and then proceed to not do shit. Mowing he lawn is always the main issue with these people they don't want to do it and don't want to pay anyone to do it.

Then they don't have enough parking or there cars break down and stay on the side of the road for years or even worse in their lawn for years.

You pull that shit here. The HOA will have someone mow your lawn and send you the bill.
I just can't fathom paying HOA living in single family home anywhere to be honest. I want to buy a single family home to avoid that shit.

I get what you're saying about the useless neighbors, but I always thought that the village you lived in had ordinances that were enforced by the police to keep trash off the streets and derelict cars off of driveways and what not. In Chicago, affluent suburbs had these types of ordinances and the cops would fine you if you violated them. Certainly didn't have to pay an HOA for that.

I just can't fathom paying HOA living in single family home anywhere to be honest. I want to buy a single family home to avoid that shit.

I get what you're saying about the useless neighbors, but I always thought that the village you lived in had ordinances that were enforced by the police to keep trash off the streets and derelict cars off of driveways and what not. In Chicago, affluent suburbs had these types of ordinances and the cops would fine you if you violated them. Certainly didn't have to pay an HOA for that.

Cops will handle some things like if someone is blocking the sidewalk in their driveway the cops will fine you. Your supposed to leave it clear for the disabled.

Cars on the lawn? They don't care. Neighbor kills the grass in his whole front yard? They don't care. Now the real problem with someone not giving a shit about their yard? You now have to work 10x as hard on your own lawn or all their weeds and fungus will come over to yours. I knew nothing about lawn care, my neighbor knew less. His backyard was filled with weeds. Guess what happened to mine? They slowly started coming over into my lawn and my backyard is a disaster now because this guy is just letting weeds grow back there. I'm seriously having to study lawn care because this guys yard is so bad it's affecting mine.

The front yard where our lawns connect is the worst part of my front yard by far. My other neighbor takes care of his lawn like a pro is easily the best part of my yard.

I’ll put up with messy neighbors over snobby suburbanites controlling what I can and can’t do with my own house any day. For me, a home isn’t to try to look stylish. A home is for having a little piece of land you can call your own where you can tell the world to fuck off. I need that privacy.

Cops will handle some things like if someone is blocking the sidewalk in their driveway the cops will fine you. Your supposed to leave it clear for the disabled.

Cars on the lawn? They don't care. Neighbor kills the grass in his whole front yard? They don't care. Now the real problem with someone not giving a shit about their yard? You now have to work 10x as hard on your own lawn or all their weeds and fungus will come over to yours. I knew nothing about lawn care, my neighbor knew less. His backyard was filled with weeds. Guess what happened to mine? They slowly started coming over into my lawn and my backyard is a disaster now because this guy is just letting weeds grow back there. I'm seriously having to study lawn care because this guys yard is so bad it's affecting mine.

The front yard where our lawns connect is the worst part of my front yard by far. My other neighbor takes care of his lawn like a pro is easily the best part of my yard.
For the weed problem, you should put a root control barrier between your property line and his where its redwood header or a mow curb embeded 10-12" down.

Other than that HOA have been a nightmare for me in the past and have fined me over trivial things such as cars being parked on my own driveway and having your trash bins facing no more than 6" away from the gutter curb line (the wheels cannot be in the gutter at all)

TS sounds poor.. HOAs exist to keep home values up and to keep morons from fucking up the neighborhood

i live in a pretty nice neighborhood with an HOA.. unfortunately one the homeowner's was going through a divorce a couple years ago and he started renting his house out and making it into a heroin den with occupants that had illegal owned firearms.. one retard tenant shot another tenant over a drug deal one night.. our HOA got the police and lawyers to boot the renters out and forced him to sell the house since the owner wasn't making mortgage payments or HOA dues... now the house is owned by a nice family with a couple small children.. HOA lawyers fees were also reimbursed...

pro-tip.. be friends with the HOA president.. he just happens to my neighbor and we have them over all the time

Other than that HOA have been a nightmare for me in the past and have fined me over trivial things such as cars being parked on my own driveway

Wait wat? Cars being parked on your driveway?

Back