Why is Judo and BJJ so much more popular with the ladies than wrestling?

KOMRADE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been coaching grappling sports for a long time and when Title Nine showed up it was looking like wrestling could be in some real trouble, growing up internationally I was heavily exposed to Judo and remembered how popular it was with female athletes.

Over the decades we did everything we could to get females involved in wrestling but it seemed like an uphill battle... I always wondered how things would have gone if we would have offered Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Judo in the American public school system

Clearly Judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu are much more popular with female athletes than the sport of wrestling.

Many people suggest that wrestling is more of a "Power Sport" but thats certainly not case, any idea why Judo especially has been so much more popular with female athletes as compaired to wrestling

I think there's still a bit of mystique surrounding Judo and BJJ which have roots in traditional martial arts whereas wrestling isn't seen as a martial art as such. It's the same with boxing, it's been around forever so isn't viewed as being as sexy compared to Muay Thai for instance, even though there are similarities. In short - wrestling probably isn't marketed to women as well.

It's funny because a lot of people think wrestling is this brutal, rough sport which it kind of is. But in my experience Judo is even more so. I can kind of understand women gravitating towards BJJ more though as it's a slower pace. But really I think it's mostly to do with the image/pr of wrestling which tends to attract more 'jock' types if that makes sense.

I think there's still a bit of mystique surrounding Judo and BJJ which have roots in traditional martial arts whereas wrestling isn't seen as a martial art as such. It's the same with boxing, it's been around forever so isn't viewed as being as sexy compared to Muay Thai for instance, even though there are similarities. In short - wrestling probably isn't marketed to women as well.

It's funny because a lot of people think wrestling is this brutal, rough sport which it kind of is. But in my experience Judo is even more so. I can kind of understand women gravitating towards BJJ more though as it's a slower pace. But really I think it's mostly to do with the image/pr of wrestling which tends to attract more 'jock' types if that makes sense.
Yeah good point I agree 100% that Judo can be extremely hardcore compared to wrestling and in fact is often far more brutal in its drops and especially hand injuries. A lot of people have suggested that it has to do with the GI as it absorbs sweat and creates friction so it makes for a cleaner more civilized style of grappling where grips are more reliable. in wrestling a wet sweaty opponent can twist out of practically any hold causing you to race foregrips in a massive scramble whereas in Lapel grappling it's much more dignified and clean. Also one must respect the self-defense aspect of lapel grappling as more appealing to the average person. I still wonder that if we could have got Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the public school system wrestling wouldn't have taken such a hit?

Wrestling would have its challenges but at least grappling would survive as a public school system opportunity and who knows what could happen in the future. Loss of infrastructure is usually the biggest hurdle, once they close that wrestling room and get rid of the mats you have a lot less chance of getting wrestling back in your school system

I think alot of it has to do with the gi. Women might feel alot more secure with close contact with a gi on particularly against sweaty men. In no gi in the last several years I've seen comparatively less women than training in the gi.

Also you have to take into account of the popularity of Judo and the Olympics. The prestige that comes with winning titles. Women's Judo is quite developed and high level. There's some amazing athletes there.

In the case of JJ its a very trending, vogue lifestyle type of activity right now. Probably has alot to do with it.

I think alot of it has to do with the gi. Women might feel alot more secure with close contact with a gi on particularly against sweaty men. In no gi in the last several years I've seen comparatively less women than training in the gi.

Also you have to take into account of the popularity of Judo and the Olympics. The prestige that comes with winning titles. Women's Judo is quite developed and high level. There's some amazing athletes there.

In the case of JJ its a very trending, vogue lifestyle type of activity right now. Probably has alot to do with it.
Good point, a lot of countries like Japan France and Korea supplement their judo opportunities thru Government funding and support so there's a lot more Athletic Club and school support versus a stand-alone martial arts gym out in some strip mall that may have questionable ethics

All the good female BJJ players I've rolled with do equal no-gi... so I really don't have much explanation.

who says wrestling isn't popular with girls? The girls wrestling scene in the United States, or at least here in Texas, is starting to pick up much more than it used to be.

The gi has alot to do with it. It makes it much easer to enter the sport as beginners. Alot kf people dont like skin to skin contact.

Last edited:
Wrestling = intense, grind, extremely hard work, sweaty, smashing heads, dumb singlets.

BJJ = chill, less intensity and can be adjusted, gi or yoga pants basically for no gi girls, more hip/popular to do.

Also I think it's pertinent to point out that wrestling is something 95-99% of people have to do at an early age or at latest by age ~16. Where as BJJ can be started any time.

All that said, the answer is obvious, wrestling is far more competitive, grindy, physical, tough to do. How many girls play football? How many box/kickbox/striking sport? How many even play basketball?

v.s. how many girls play soccer and track/field? Because a ton more girls do those two I'd bet. Genetic differences, the vast majority of women don't want to do a combat sport. TS (who's banned lmao) is saying girls do BJJ/Judo more, but even then how many really are? Like 1/20th of a BJJ school tops? Maybe 1/10th if it had more of a female gathering and was chill?

Gi makes grappling feel a lot less sexual.

Women's wrestling is one of fastest growing sport at hs/collegiate level.

Back