Why it must be incredibly difficult being provoked in public as a fighter

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Some low life comes up to you, you can kick his ass and he might even be aware of it but....

From a fighters perspective you don't know how to act, because he could try to cheap shot you and have it as a personal victory as in "I beat up x pro fighter" and be happy with that despite criminal charges, while the fighter is aware of this and knows that if he defends himself, pre-emptively especially, he's getting hell for it.

Nothing new, but basically as a fighter you know that this guy has nothing to lose by putting you in a really tough situation, so you sort of have to act but you can't.

Don't go to bars/clubs. Professional athletes in general run into problems at those places.

He’s trying to reap the rewards of being a celebrity without the drawbacks.

Not hanging around organized criminals while doing coke and drinking a lot would help prevent this.

Idk how many MMA Fighters can afford them, but a body guard would help.

Not a fighter, but I'll give you five bucks if you don't cringe. People can be the worst.

Fighters from the past seemed more accessible and got into less trouble.

I always thought people who trained or fought had less to prove and avoided fights.

It must be so annoying not only to have people challenge you, but to constantly have morons coming up to you like "HEY CAN U CHOKE ME OUT?!? HEY DUDE GIVE ME A LEG KICK! PUNCH ME IN THE ARM! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO GET HIT BY A UFC FIGHTER!!" Ugh.

Because like it or not, true tough guys are always going to attract that shitty douche bag tough guy wannabe energy.

As someone who has fought in Muay Thai professionally I can tell you that it is laughable when random asshats talk shit to you. I honestly learned to talk my way out of fights because I didn't want to hurt these random idiots. Yes you could potentially get cheap-shotted, but when you are training everyday.... Normal ass people move soooooooo slow. Especially drunk people. It's a non-issue if you aren't a dick. Nobody is even going to touch you while swinging wildly, and even if they do land it has absolutely no power. Unless they come at you with a weapon, there is no reason to get crazy.

I blame society.

Knowing how litigation works in this country, even I'd be extremely tempted to goad a millionaire into punching me.

I wonder why it isn’t a thing to pay people to suckershot your opponents. I mean win money vs assault charge +500 bucks?!?

I bet it happens alot less to the good guys, than the assholes. But, it’s definitely an issue I wouldn’t want to deal with. But if it’s just talk, and especially true talk. The athlete has to turn the other cheek, or face the possible consequences.

If I saw Conor at a bar I would definitely have to contemplate antagonizing him into kicking my ass as a retirement plan and college fund for my daughters.

Jk - I wouldn't do that and leave people I don't know alone. But someone else seemed to have recently employed this strategy.

Seems like this only happens to people with unchecked egos. Any rational celebrity or athlete just uses bodyguards.

Back