• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'Why living in Canada sucks'

Anyone from Inuit stock post on the 'dog?

I actually grew up in Point Edward. But saying 'Sarnia' is generally what I note as more are familiar to that than a village.

Did you ever play hockey on the frozen pond in Canatera Park?

Living in Canada only sucks...if you live in Saskatchewan or up far north where its -50 degree celsius

The rest is not too bad

I used to drink a bit but now am completely sober. This is why I don't socialize here because the subject of why I don't drink will always come up and annoy me. I have never smoked or used drugs including marijuana. Smoking marijuana here is completely normal and if you say you have never done it most will be quite surprised! I don't watch sports or TV, rarely watch movies and don't go to live sporting events. I only date foreign women, I speak 3 languages, and have been to 33 countries, and only date dutch.

Yeah, this guy sounds like he is really well adjusted. Everyone in modern civilization does all of the shit this guy doesn't do. I'm guessing he's one of those dudes who enjoys going to Thailand to bang underage boys.

Living in Canada only sucks...if you live in Saskatchewan or up far north where its -50 degree celsius

The rest is not too bad

Living in the cold north isn't so bad. Chances are if you're living up there, you're making a killer wage, because why the fuck else would you live up there.

While US debt is going down, due to the CRASH and right off of lots of debt, I don't see that as a benefit. Again I would like to see what stats you are reading as Canada has less public debt per capita then the US and our citizens seem to hold similar amounts of personal debt but Canadians tend to have higher saving levels. You cannot simply right off that some of it is housing wealth that you feel is over valued. We can speculate all housing wealth including current US housing wealth is still over valued.

Canadians enjoy a higher standard of living and that is what is more important to most people.

Also google US healthcare nightmares and learn that providing anecdotal stories is stupid. Google 'cancer forces family into divorce and bankruptcy to get care' if you want a place to start re US healthcare nightmares.

I empathize with you if you and your family had a bad experience in the Cdn system. It seems to me that is the impetus for your very negative view of the CDN system and near blindness to the flaws in the US, as well. Personal bias however has to be discarded in analyzing entire systems.

The OECD has Canadas housing market being overpriced by 30% or 60% depending on what metric you want to use. They have the American market being slightly undervalued by both metrics.

Canadians have half of their net worth tied to the value of their homes. That works out to about $200 000, less if you consider the drop in the Canadian dollar.

Canada may be overdue for a market correction. The price of real estate continues to rise even though it is overpriced.

When mortgage rates go up (and they just did) Canadas housing market could be in trouble.

The US has a higher human development index than Canada. Both countries are highly developed.

Canada has an above average health care system, that is rated only slightly better than the American one.

Universal health care is great, but it has its drawbacks. One big one is that it has to be more conservatively doled out.

The OECD has Canadas housing market being overpriced by 30% or 60% depending on what metric you want to use. They have the American market being slightly undervalued by both metrics.

Canadians have half of their net worth tied to the value of their homes. That works out to about $200 000, less if you consider the drop in the Canadian dollar.

Canada may be overdue for a market correction. The price of real estate continues to rise even though it is overpriced.

When mortgage rates go up (and they just did) Canadas housing market could be in trouble.

The US has a higher human development index than Canada. Both countries are highly developed.

Canada has an above average health care system, that is rated only slightly better than the American one.

Universal health care is great, but it has its drawbacks. One big one is that it has to be more conservatively doled out.

The general prosperity in Canada is strongly tied to the price of commodities. Luckily for Canada, prices are high (at the moment). Not likely to collapse but they could drop a bit.

Did you ever play hockey on the frozen pond in Canatera Park?

Of course I did! On the pond that was full of quicksand ;)

And I was chased by Big Red and his swinging binoculars in the deep forested area.
And I golfed at the Holiday Inn where one arm willy worked.

Etc...

Living in the cold north isn't so bad. Chances are if you're living up there, you're making a killer wage, because why the fuck else would you live up there.

I went to Iqaluit (and the area north of it) on a contract 6 years ago. Trust me it fucking sucks. Yes i was making a killer wage but it still fucking sucked. Everything is depressing there. The weather is depressing and so is the mood of the population. Scenery can be OK in certain places but it sucked where i was.

Fortunatelyi i was doing a 14/14 shift (14 days there then 14 days back home) so it helped but i still couldn't wait for the job to be done. Took 7 months which was more than enough

Of course I did! On the pond that was full of quicksand ;)

And I was chased by Big Red and his swinging binoculars in the deep forested area.
And I golfed at the Holiday Inn where one arm willy worked.

Etc...

I always wondered if the pond still freezes over for hockey like it did 30 yrs ago when I was a kid.

I don't know about the rest of that Sarnia stuff you mentioned. Is there still a french fry truck under the bridge?

I always wondered if the pond still freezes over for hockey like it did 30 yrs ago when I was a kid.

I don't know about the rest of that Sarnia stuff you mentioned. Is there still a french fry truck under the bridge?

The other things were just childhood myths and legends from growing up 25 years back.

Everyone swore the pond was all quicksand at the bottom.
There was some old man who always hung out in Canatara park probably bird watching, but the kids all swore he would chase you and try and swing his binoculars trying to hit you and was dubbed 'Big Red'. He was always near the bmx paths if you remember those.
And the mgr of the par 3 golf club only had one arm so it creeped everyone out.

I live in Calgary now. Moved out west in my early teen years for hockey. So I suppose I can't confidently say the pond freezes over still as its been over 20 years for me since I've been on it, but I imagine it still does.
I go back every couple years as my family still lives there. It's always in the summer though. The French fry truck is still there. There's 2 I believe now. A few years back it was getting so crowded with fry trucks under the bridge that I believe it went to vote or the highest bidder or something for the rights to be there. The original fry truck that began there, Alberts i believe, didn't win the bid or whatever, even though he was the consecus favourite. So he opened a shop/cafe in one of the buildings that lead up to the bridge on Michigan Ave. You would probably remember getting ice cream in and around the same spot. (Ice cream galore).

So did you grow up in Sarnia and obviously move away as well?

Yes my neighbours pond still freezes over and I live in the Niagara Region. Love me some pond hocks

The other things were just childhood myths and legends from growing up 25 years back.

Everyone swore the pond was all quicksand at the bottom.
There was some old man who always hung out in Canatara park probably bird watching, but the kids all swore he would chase you and try and swing his binoculars trying to hit you and was dubbed 'Big Red'. He was always near the bmx paths if you remember those.
And the mgr of the par 3 golf club only had one arm so it creeped everyone out.

I live in Calgary now. Moved out west in my early teen years for hockey. So I suppose I can't confidently say the pond freezes over still as its been over 20 years for me since I've been on it, but I imagine it still does.
I go back every couple years as my family still lives there. It's always in the summer though. The French fry truck is still there. There's 2 I believe now. A few years back it was getting so crowded with fry trucks under the bridge that I believe it went to vote or the highest bidder or something for the rights to be there. The original fry truck that began there, Alberts i believe, didn't win the bid or whatever, even though he was the consecus favourite. So he opened a shop/cafe in one of the buildings that lead up to the bridge on Michigan Ave. You would probably remember getting ice cream in and around the same spot. (Ice cream galore).

So did you grow up in Sarnia and obviously move away as well?

Parents are/were both chemical engineers. Lived in a shitty area (think of the worst area you can, that's the one). Lived there 2 1/2 yrs. No offense, it's the second worst place I've ever lived (we lived in a horrible area of Montreal too). Understand, we lived in a horrible area that basically was full of retarded people. I don't think anyone from my grade 4 class finished high school (that's not a joke). Kids in my class didn't know what the name of the lake was. Seriously -- they thought it was "lake".

Moved back to Toronto (thank the lord Jesus Christ).

Redeeming experiences were: hanging out at the boxing club and pond hockey at Canatera park.

Re: fry truck

There was only one when we lived there. I did hear that a second one showed up. I don't remember the the ice cream place.

Yes but why is the US housing market more adequately priced? Because it just crashed. So all Canada needs to do is have a crash to be as well off as the US :redface:

We can speculate all day long about the shape Canada will be in 'if there is a hard crash' but it may or may not happen. It could be a much slower, long term deflation, that is offset by Canadians doing what they tend to do, which US citizens tend to do way less, and that is paying down their mortgage.

It is kind of pointless to say 'well you market may crash so I am going to say you are worse off now'. If I told you I was a stock day trader with $10M in my bank account and you said 'day trading is risky so I am going to say your net worth is only 40% of that because I think your value COULD crash', then there is not much reason to talk.

Today Canadians have more personal wealth, more personal savings and a better health care system for the masses, despite its limitations.

And due to the fact that our economy is so heavily resource based we will always have a strong, strong demand for the most core pillar of our economy and that provides us a huge layer of stability that few others nations have.

Long may she reign.

CanadaFlagAnimatedWhiteBG.gif

Back