Why the prelims are better than the earlier fights on the main card?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It makes sense, they put the better fights on the prelims so people watch them, see they're delivering really good fights and then are excited to buy the main card.

Yet the first few fights on the main card are fillers and aren't good enough to sell the PPV on the prelims until the main event fights.

source.gif

This wasn't the intention obviously

Just how it works out sometimes

Gillian > Main Card

This wasn't the intention obviously

Just how it works out sometimes

Gillian > Main Card

Possibly, though I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely put Jatko on the main card though for that reason.

I mean, potential boring fights aren't going to make people want to buy the PPV so they have to put them somewhere, hence the early main card fights.

The prelims are advertisements for the main event and the last chance for the extra PPV buys so it's important they have fights people get into, excited about, enjoy and then want to buy the PPV to watch the rest of it.

But yeah, I know lol :)

Pantoja vs Figuerido opened the ESPN prelims. Why? They're both top 5 in the world.

Utterly inexcusable.

Pantoja vs Figuerido opened the ESPN prelims. Why? They're both top 5 in the world.

Utterly inexcusable.

Because they'll deliver, people who haven't bought the PPV and are watching it will be like "woah this is good" and then when it's finished want to buy the main card.

Put a potential boring fight on (Jatko), it's not gonna make people want to buy the main card cause they're finding it boring.

But they have to put the fight somewhere hence the early main card cause it doesn't matter as people watching it have already bought the PPV.

The prelims are the advertisements to get that last lot of PPV buys they can get in before the event hence why they're gonna put some amazing potential fights in there.

Jatko ain't gonna sell the main card is he? Same with Elias when he was on the main card lol

It makes sense, they put the better fights on the prelims so people watch them, see they're delivering really good fights and then are excited to buy the main card.

Yet the first few fights on the main card are fillers and aren't good enough to sell the PPV on the prelims until the main event fights.

source.gif
I planned on buying the PPV regardless of the pre-lims.

It's been a decent night of fights, pre-lims and main card thus far...in my humble opinion.

I am a whore, I typically buy all PPV's, watch all that I can. I am fortunate to have disposable income, and a wife that understands my love for MMA.

I planned on buying the PPV regardless of the pre-lims.

It's been a decent night of fights, pre-lims and main card thus far...in my humble opinion.

I am a whore, I typically buy all PPV's, watch all that I can. I am fortunate to have disposable income, and a wife that understands my love for MMA.

Yeah, those that are buying the PPVs anyway it have already bought it they don't need to sell it to.

It's mainly those who watch it cause it's there for free, that's why they need to have good solid fights there as those are the last ones they need to sell it to.

That said, none of you should be paying for PPV prices anyway but you get what I mean :)

Yeah, those that are buying the PPVs anyway it have already bought it they don't need to sell it to.

It's mainly those who watch it cause it's there for free, that's why they need to have good solid fights there as those are the last ones they need to sell it to.

That said, none of you should be paying for PPV prices anyway but you get what I mean :)

I get what you are saying. Basically, with having good fights on the pre-lims and/or undercard will potentially make...for lack of better terms...(and no offense meant) borderline true mma fans and casuals purchase the ppv.

As I said, no disrespect or harm meant, but fortunately we can pay for the ppv's. I suppose I could spend the time trying to figure out a stream, maybe going to a local bar to watch, but to me it is worth it to spend the 59.99 to order it and watch it by way of plugging my laptop into our 55" tv and watching the fights from my house with my wife and child.

Then again I am not as young as I once was wherein I had a wheel barrel full of balls, a 12 in pecker and enough hair on my ass to make a fur coat.

I get what you are saying. Basically, with having good fights on the pre-lims and/or undercard will potentially make...for lack of better terms...(and no offense meant) borderline true mma fans and casuals purchase the ppv.

As I said, no disrespect or harm meant, but fortunately we can pay for the ppv's. I suppose I could spend the time trying to figure out a stream, maybe going to a local bar to watch, but to me it is worth it to spend the 59.99 to order it and watch it by way of plugging my laptop into our 55" tv and watching the fights from my house with my wife and child.

Then again I am not as young as I once was wherein I had a wheel barrel full of balls, a 12 in pecker and enough hair on my ass to make a fur coat.

Yeah pretty much, the people who are going to buy the PPV anyway (hardcore fans) they are already sold so they don't have to do anything to sell the PPV to them where as the people who are casual at home, come across it, watch it for free, if they're enjoying it cause these fights are awesome they're going to want to continue to watching it so they'll buy the PPV at the last minute.

It doesn't matter if they put the potential boring fights (IE Jatko) on the main card because the people watching it have bought it already and they're going to watch the rest anyway because they're bought it where as a potential boring fight on the prelims is going to bore the audience so they're not going to buy the PPV.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do make sure they put fantastic fights on the prelims more so than the main card because it's what's going to make people want to buy it when they're watching it for free.

When it comes to talent, skill and experience we are basing those reasons on why they should be on the main card (and this is right too) however from a business side of things, considering guys are top 5 in the world you know people are going to watch them and be like "Wow, this UFC is good, I want to watch the rest", we're not looking at this from a business point of view but more so on a credentials, talent, and how they should be main card (which from that perspective they absolutely should and that's what we prioritise), but we're not the business or trying to sell the PPV.

It makes complete sense, like @EndlessCritic mentioned above about Pantoja vs Figuerido being top 5 in the world, exactly, they're gonna sell the PPV when people watch them, specially casuals who have no idea who they are.

It's partly to sell the ppv to last minute purchasers as others have said...

It's also to give a sense of value to those who have already purchased a service. That's why there is pretty much always one fight on Fight Pass that looks like it could be way higher up on the card...if you were buying Fight Pass would you want to feel like you paying for quality fights or left overs no one wants to see?

It's partly to sell the ppv to last minute purchasers as others have said...

It's also to give a sense of value to those who have already purchased a service. That's why there is pretty much always one fight on Fight Pass that looks like it could be way higher up on the card...if you were buying Fight Pass would you want to feel like you paying for quality fights or left overs no one wants to see?

Nailed it! I don't even know why it's hard to understand but you're absolutely spot on.

We (as fans) see it differently as we'll be like "Shit, why wasn't this fight on the main card" or "What, these fighters are on the prelims" because we're not seeing it from a business point of view trying to sell the PPV.

I know if I was running a business I wouldn't put Jatko (for example) on the prelims either cause he's not going to make people want to buy my PPV, yet he has to go somewhere so main card it is, preferably at the beginning.

prelims i think will usually have more action, greener guys so more chance of talent disparity. Once guys have been tested they are on the main card (not always) but then the talent level is usually higher and closer together making for tough sometimes stalemate matches

Back