Why was Aldo incapable of clean knockouts?

I think he hit fairly hard at 135. Flopped rob font all around and had moraes trying to avoid his power. It wasn’t super crazy but it was solid power. He dropped multiple people at 145 too so I wouldn’t say pillow fisted. His fight with Chad the 2nd time was a war. Him and Chad hit each other with bombs. Still one of my favorite fights of all time. He also had max tentative and was bombing him in the first fight. You could tell Max didn’t like it, the speed, but also the power.

Just because you don’t possess the touch of death™ aka one punch ko power doesn’t mean you are pillow fisted

Agree with everything, also one of my all time favorite fights.

jose-aldo-chad-mendes.gif

This thread is garbage.

Prime Aldo was a terror on the feet. Blistering leg kicks (back before calf kicks became the thing), explosive knees, and power & accuracy in his hands with those sharp hooks to the head and body.

Aldo obliterated then-WEC champ Brown, mauled Faber leg to the point where it was a blimp, finished Manny, then went on a run against UFC names such as Florian, Frankie, and especially with Mendes, who was a beast in his prime. Aldo faced incredibly stiff competition in his run as 145 champ.
Way to totally miss the point of the thread. I never said anything otherwise.

and power & accuracy in his hands with those sharp hooks to the head and body.

Which is why it's strange that he doesn't have a single clean knockout with his hands, isn't it?

I think his lack of power comes from lack of good technique and not being able to line up his strong punches. Everyone can punch really hard, but it is all about being able to deliver those hard punches to their target.

Just goes to my point how half the people in this thread are praising Aldo's sharpness and technique and the other half are saying he couldn't knock people out because his technique wasn't all there.

Despite being literally one of the most skilled strikers in MMA history, people would rather blame Aldo's technique for why he has no clean knockouts rather than call him pillowfisted. Even though we all know there are far worse strikers who still get knockouts.

I was going to say Mike Brown but I went back and watched the end (it's on Youtube) and it was all GnP on the ground. I must have confused that with another fight. Aldo definitely had more of a killer instinct in the WEC, though, as also shown by his devastating leg kicks against Urijah Faber. Like GSP, he became more of a point fighter and decision machine once he became a UFC champ. That's not a knock on him. But since people often say that about GSP, it's only fair to recognize that UFC champ Aldo didn't go for finishes like he did in his early WEC days.

Way to totally miss the point of the thread. I never said anything otherwise.

Which is why it's strange that he doesn't have a single clean knockout with his hands, isn't it?

He didn't go for big punches much, he was more about clean and short shots. He also spent most of his career fighting too 5 guys so knockout were harder to get.

The way he floored Mendes with his hands was enough for me to know that he wasn't pillow fisted.

Moicano, Stephens, Zombie and Manny from recent memory.

not one-punch ko's but definitely enough to say he sure as fook aint pillow fisted

Didn't Zombie badly dislocate his shoulder and Aldo kicked it a bunch of times before TKOing him in the 4th? I feel like that hardly counts.

Did I say that he was? You got banana for brains or something?
lol I'll ignore the childish hostility.

the point of both posts is that - in answer to the TS's assertion "no, Jose Aldo is not pillow fisted".
I'm not really interested in your thoughts on the subject outside of that.

While Aldo was great, he wasn't naturally heavy handed like prime McGregor or Josh Emmett for instance, he was overall superexplosive with some of the hardest leg kicks we've ever seen and the strongest hips in any division, Merab wasn't even able to take him down, and that's later in his career.

lol I'll ignore the childish hostility.

the point of both posts is that - in answer to the TS's assertion "no, Jose Aldo is not pillow fisted".
I'm not really interested in your thoughts on the subject outside of that.

He's not pillowfisted but only an idiot would use the Korean Zombie fight as an example to prove that. Or, more likely, an uneducated person who looked at his record but never saw the fight.

But you're arguing points that weren't made when you addressed me, then you're telling me you aren't interested on my thoughts on the subject outside of something I never mentioned or at all argued or even insinuated.

You can relax bud, I'm here for you.

He's a 5'7 145lb fighter who was able to fight at 135lb. There's just not many men that size with KO power and the ones who tend to have it, literally throw their whole body into the shots which Aldo rarely did (and got KO'd by Conor doing so.)

He's not pillowfisted but only an idiot would use the Korean Zombie fight as an example to prove that. Or, more likely, an uneducated person who looked at his record but never saw the fight.

But you're arguing points that weren't made when you addressed me, then you're telling me you aren't interested on my thoughts on the subject outside of something I never mentioned or at all argued or even insinuated.

You can relax bud, I'm here for you.
I'm not interested in you at all.

You're whinging and appear to be very triggered by something.

I do like the use of the Internet wanna-be tough guy bs though. But for now it might be best if you throw your little tantrums somewhere else.

He's a 5'7 145lb fighter who was able to fight at 135lb. There's just not many men that size with KO power and the ones who tend to have it, literally throw their whole body into the shots which Aldo rarely did (and got KO'd by Conor doing so.)
Brian Kelleher, Umar Nurmagomedov, Max Holloway, Francisco Rivera, Nate Landwehr, Ricky Simon, John Moraga, Alexandre Pantoja, John Dodson, Manel Kape, Aiemann Zahabi, Raul Rosas Jr, all have at least one clean knockout with their hands. Of course there are many more. This is not even mentioning known heavy hitters like Ilia Topuria, Conor McGregor, Sean O'Malley, Song Yadong, Cody Garbrandt, John Lineker etc. who have multiple clean knockouts.

Jose Aldo has none.

A lot of fighters in the lower weight divisions never knock anyone out cold, it's related to physics and transfer of energy, so the phrase "pillow-fisted" isn't really meaningful when you get into the very handicapped divisions.

I'm not interested in you at all.

You're whinging and appear to be very triggered by something.

I do like the use of the Internet wanna-be tough guy bs though. But for now it might be best if you throw your little tantrums somewhere else.

You tried your best.

I’ve always felt he lacked power in his hands…

But you can still achieve greatness without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epsteins Guard
Back