News Why Yan is great. Arguably best volume striker in UFC

Yeah he is pretty much just a boxer with a takedown defence.
Which is fun to watch.

Explain yourself lol. The only really "weakness" he has, are legkicks. But he adjusted well after those first rounds and the fact that he can fight well from both stances helps too.
He's just a solid boxer and that's it

UPDATE:

I usually don't like making posts without substance. So I updated this post with some facts to school the foolz ;). Let's break out the stats from official UFC stat page ufcstats.com.

TI8LI51.jpg

As you can see, Yan has only had 7 fights in the UFC and won all 7. This has to be taken into account when comparing some of these stats against other fighters.

ylUaLHO.jpg

Yan along with Assuncao and Barao got the longest W streak in BW division. No losses in UFC, impressive.

RbUsVO4.jpg

Knockdowns landed, Yan has a split 3rd place. Take into account that Yan has less fights in UFC than Dillashaw and Garbrandt. Dillashaw has 15 fights in UFC, Garbrandt 10 vs Yan's 7. Yan has 2nd KD per 15 minutes. He has the best KD per fight average.

A3Qx9HB.jpg

Once again you have Dillashaw leading KO/TKO wins, Yan has a shared 3rd place. Once again Dillashaw has twice as many fights as Yan.

NHRT8iq.jpg

Total strikes landed, Dillashaw is the leader with twice as many fights (15 vs Yan's 7), Yan is the leader in UFC in total strikes per fight.

Yan is top 5 TDD in BW division. (Rivera's TDD is very impressive, mad hespect)

Also Yan's the record holder for most strikes landed in a UFC fight. Yan has arguably the best striking output per fight in the UFC.

v5wQnQz.jpg

Yan is a close second behind Sandhagen in strikes landed per minute. Yan is #1 in striking differential which means strikes landed vs strikes taken. Which means he deals a lot more damage than he receives in striking exchanges.

bU2cbxF.jpg

Once again Dillashaw stat leader in total significant strikes landed, but once again you must take into account that he has twice as many fights. Yan is already at 8th place with 7 fights. (Barao 17 fights, Aljo 14, Assuncao 16).

Yan is #4 in striking accuracy .9 % behind #1. Impressive.

Conclusion:

People claiming that Yan is slow, average striker, not impressive etc. are delusional, ignorant and uneducated. Yan is a top-5 statistical leader in almost all of the striking stats and #1 in some. Yan is an elite striker. To claim otherwise is just ignorant. Numbers don't lie!

Last edited:
And new!

Conclusion:

People claiming that Yan is slow, average striker, not impressive etc. are delusional, ignorant and uneducated. Yan is the a top-5 statistical leader in almost all of the striking stats and #1. Yan is an elite striker. To claim otherwise is just ignorant. Numbers don't lie!

Are you sure? Striking expert @Undefeated Undisputed tells me that Yan "seems slow". I don't know who to believe.

Yan is legit, no doubt about it. But the comparisons are not apples to apples, new champions usually have more impressive numbers but moving forward they tend to have longer fights with less finishes/KOs/knockdowns (except if you're Anderson Silva), which is normal since the competition becomes much harder once you're on top. I would guess that Cody's or TJ's numbers looked similar when they won the belt

Yan is legit, no doubt about it. But the comparisons are not apples to apples, new champions usually have more impressive numbers but moving forward they tend to have longer fights with less finishes/KOs/knockdowns (except if you're Anderson Silva), which is normal since the competition becomes much harder once you're on top. I would guess that Cody's or TJ's numbers looked similar when they won the belt

Good point, one can assume that stats get worse with better competition, but this shouldn't apply for stats related to striking output.

Also shouldn't apply while comparing with other contenders.

Last edited:
A very good striker, but those legs can definitely be a problem. Elder Aldo almost chop his legs even not kick anymore for a long time. I mean, this is a thing a fighter doesn't improve from day to night. We need to see Yan improving his kick game and movement, a man like Moraes could bring him problems on the first rounds.

I don't know, if we see pure strikes without seeing the quality of them, we can be fooled by statistics. I like Yan's fighting style and I want to see him improving his overall striking game. This kind of shit can't happen anymore, he could lose because of that. Ok, Aldo is Aldo, but we need to see some improvement in the leg department, leg kick defense, movement and stuff.

Also Yan's wrestling is so underrated it's not even funny
He has a legit wrestling and grappling game, but I could see him being out wrestled and out grappled by American wrestlers or legit blackbelts. Sterling is a good example of both.

If he beats Sterling I'll be impressed. Right now he's on Weidman's level for beating aging legends.

As of right now Sterling is looking like Luke Rockhold to Yan's Weidman.

Back