Media Wilder is going to get his own "Rocky" statue in Tuscaloosa, unveiling on May 25

A life-size statue created in honor of the 2008 Olympic Bronze medalist and former longtime WBC heavyweight titlist will be unveiled May 25 on the grounds of Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports in Wilder’s hometown of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. A public ceremony will be held to reveal the sculpture in a moment nearly seven years in the making.

“We are excited to unveil this highly anticipated piece of public art featuring the Bronze Bomber – Tuscaloosa’s world-champion boxer – and created by Caleb O’Connor, who has adopted Tuscaloosa as his home and has created many other beautiful pieces in our City,” Mayor Walt Maddox noted in a statement released through the Tuscaloosa government’s office on Monday.

Local reports indicate that the ceremony will be open to the public, with Wilder and O’Connor both expected to be in attendance for the event.

Ghey.

Literally nothing about this guy is Rocky.

Rationalize what ? A champion & Olympian getting a statue?
Its more like the same stale people trying to discredit pretty good boxers.

Lol well then I guess every pretty good boxer should get a statue. And pretty good accountants. And pretty good bus drivers. And pretty good whatevers

Lol well then I guess every pretty good boxer should get a statue. And pretty good accountants. And pretty good bus drivers. And pretty good whatevers
Did those Dr's. or bus drivers or "whatevers" win multiple competitions in their disciplines throughout their careers to show they were the best or at the top of their fields????
@chardog earlier you asked which delusional or irrational posters were Wilder haters....here you go

This goof mad Wilder, a real champion boxer ,has a statue. Yet he has Stallone, a fake boxer with a statue as his avatar...Oh the irony, hypocrisy, & hate.
Can't make this clown ish up.

Did those Dr's. or bus drivers or "whatevers" win multiple competitions in their disciplines throughout their careers to show they were the best or at the top of their fields????
@chardog earlier you asked which delusional or irrational posters were Wilder haters....here you go

This goof mad Wilder, a real champion boxer ,has a statue. Yet he has Stallone, a fake boxer with a statue as his avatar...Oh the irony, hypocrisy, & hate.
Can't make this clown ish up.
Yeah, it's ridiculous that some fans have a problem with Wilder getting his own statue. As you noted Stallone wasn't even a real boxer. He just played one. The Rocky statue is in my state and I've actually been to Philly to see it. Stallone is also in the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Meanwhile Wilder is getting ragged on for his real life boxing achievements lol. Sad.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that some fans have a problem with Wilder getting his own statue. As you noted Stallone wasn't even a real boxer. He just played one. The Rocky statue is in my state and I've actually been to Philly to see it. Stallone is also in the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Meanwhile Wilder is getting ragged on for his real life boxing achievements lol. Sad.
So true.
Also when you really think about Rocky..His whole gimmick was that he was a non technical bum that just had heart.
Like the Rocky movies set the standard for boxing techniques and skill. Hahahahahaha.

When Rocky is spamming 20 off balance over-hands from his hip just to knock his opponent to the ropes in pretend land....Its "movie magic"

Yet when Wilder sleeps giant real killers with his laser right in real life.....he sucks

So true.
Also when you really think about Rocky..His whole gimmick was that he was a non technical bum that just had heart.
Like the Rocky movies set the standard for boxing techniques and skill. Hahahahahaha.

When Rocky is spamming 20 off balance over-hands from his hip just to knock his opponent to the ropes in pretend land....Its "movie magic"

Yet when Wilder sleeps giant real killers with his laser right in real life.....he sucks
Apparently fictional characters take precedence over real life world champions & Olympic medalists. Nothing weird about that.

If you're going by that, I have to point out that the character of "Rocky Balboa" is based on Chuck Wepner.

Who would you say accomplished more as a boxer between Wepner and Wilder?
<PlusJuan>

fine. I'm guessing he has a strong local following. I googled Tuscaloosa and it has a population of 100k, small by US, standards, so I'm guessing they're just happy to have a famous celebrity. This shouldn't be surprising.

If you're going by that, I have to point out that the character of "Rocky Balboa" is based on Chuck Wepner.

Who would you say accomplished more as a boxer between Wepner and Wilder?
Wepner.
He inspired one of the greatest movies in the arts of film and theatre.
So great that it spawned 5 sequels and a spin off series that had two sequels of its own totaling 9 movies in a franchise that grossed over $1B.
So popular that the character, who became a symbol of the city, had a statue built in his honor.
So popular that the actor/writer portraying him was inducted into the boxing hall of fame.

Wepner.
So great that it spawned 5 sequels and a spin off series that had two sequels of its own totaling 9 movies in a franchise that grossed over $1B.
So popular that the character, who became a symbol of the city, had a statue built in his honor.
So popular that the actor/writer portraying him was inducted into the boxing hall of fame.

Inspiring art is not typically a criteria for excellence in the realm of sport. It should also be noted several fighters gave Ali problems through the years in fights Ali ultimatly won. What made Wepner special is it inspired Stallone. Wepners a standard issue top 10 HW with an alphabet belt albeit in a very respected era.

Also no ones disputing any of what you said they are disputing that you're claiming a fictional character is more deserving of a statue than the best American HW of the 21st century.

No ones trying to take down the Rocky statue. You're the one suggesting Wilder doesn't deserve a statue.

Last edited:
Wepner.
Thats not what he asked at all...
By that logic
Wepner > JCC

I’m no Alabama expert but I guess there weren’t that many world beaters in any given field hailing from Tuscaloosa, hence the statue thing isn’t that weird, I guess.

So you think just because one fictional boxer got a statute, every other halfway decent boxer should get one?

So you think just because one fictional boxer got a statute, every other halfway decent boxer should get one?
I don't entertain fallacious reasoning (straw man arguments). To call Wilder halfway decent is underselling him. The guy was a world champion boxer and Olympic medalist. How many of those do you think a state like Alabama has produced? It's notable there. Stallone getting his own statue in a boxing hotbed like Philly isn't. Especially not when they've produced so many legitimate top boxers historically.

I was mentioning in another thread that when punchers or even just really dominant boxers lose badly, their opponents have nor respect for them afterwards. George Foreman was going life and death with Lyle and lost to Jimmy Young after the Ali fight. That kind of thing happens and wilder doesn't have much to put himself back together. I don't like him so I'll watch just to see him beat.

Even before they lose "punchers" never get the respect they deserve.

The majority of the viewing public seems to think perfectly timed perfectly placed knockout punches land via magic and luck, even against title contenders and ranked fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back