International Wildfire kills 97 and destroys over 2,700 buildings in Lahaina, Hawaii

650lb Sumo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
https://news.sky.com/story/hawaii-w...-destroy-large-parts-of-town-in-maui-12936947

At least 36 people have died after wildfires rampaged through parts of the Hawaiian island of Maui.

Maui County confirmed the deaths after fires swept across the historic town of Lahaina - sparking the evacuation of more than 11,400 people.

Major General Kenneth S. Hara,

160526-N-ZZ999-099.JPG

the Adjutant General for the State of Hawaii, said gusts of up to 85mph had fuelled the flames and had prevented helicopters from aiding efforts to contain the fire.

On Thursday, governor Sylvia Luke

sylvia-luke.png

declared a state of emergency and urged people not to travel to West Maui, describing it as 'not a safe place to be'.

skynews-hawaii-fire_6245967.jpg

The hall of historic Waiola Church in Lahaina and nearby Lahaina Hongwanji Mission are engulfed in flames.

Aerial video from coastal Lahaina showed dozens of homes and businesses flattened, including in Front Street, where tourists gathered to shop and dine.

Smoking heaps of rubble lay piled high next to the waterfront, boats in the harbour were scorched and grey smoke hovered over the leafless skeletons of charred trees.

More than 270 structures have been damaged or destroyed so far according to officials in Lahaina.

skynews-maui-wildfire-lahaina_6246015.jpg

An aerial view shows damage along the coast of Lahaina.

skynews-hawaii-maui-wildfire_6246161.jpg

"Basically, the whole Front Street of Lahaina, all the shops, the historical buildings, everything, has been burnt right to the ground.

There are hundreds of people homeless, there's still no power in the whole town, people can't get access to food, so it was just an absolutely heart-wrenching sight."

skynews-hawaii-fire_6245873.jpg

skynews-hawaii-fire_6245872.jpg

The National Weather Service said Hurricane Dora, which was passing to the south of the island chain, was partly to blame for gusts above 60mph.

The exact cause of the blaze has not yet been determined.

However, high winds, low humidity and dry vegetation are likely to have contributed, according to Major General Hara.

Edit: Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5

Update 6
Update 7
Update 8
Update 9
Update 10

Update 11
Update 12
Update 13
Update 14
Update 15

Update 16
Update 17
Update 18
Update 19
Update 20

Update 21
Update 22
Update 23
Update 24
Update 25

Update 26
Update 27
Update 28
Update 29
Update 30

Last edited:
Man that’s kind of terrifying since there’s not much space to run

Just horrible. RIP to the victims.

Been to Maui multiple times. Truly a unique destination nothing really like it in the world, and the people there are great. Looking forward to the day I can go back to support them with my tourism dollars.

As of this morning, no cause has been stated
From what I understand it has been very dry this year out on the islands and that the northern plains of the island caught fire (a normal event on the island) but that the addition of the high winds from the Hurricane hundreds of miles away caused the flames to basically turn into a fire storm.

sucks for the people there. My little cousin was actually on her way to college out in Hawaii yesterday. They were going to stay in Maui for the first week before going to campus.

The family made it as far as Vagas and they had to turn around due to flight cancellations.

This is extremely devastating for Maui and will also have a huge impact on the local economy for years to come. :( Hoʻomālielie i ke kaumaha.

I was in hawaii little over a week ago, and considering how wet,lush, and humid it was, this is quite shocking that it's even possible.

Rip to the victims....

That speed wind + wildfire would be terrifying the speed it would travel. Plus spot fires would easily occur a long distance from the " fire front ". There's no fighting a beast like that.

Horrific way to go.. rip

Wow, I would have never thought a wildfire would be an issue in a tropical zone. Even in their driest month, August, Hawaii gets 3 inches of rain--which is like April in Seattle.

Update 1:

https://www.independent.co.uk/clima...waii-wildfires-cause-death-toll-b2391269.html
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-66461158

The death toll has risen to at least 53.

1,000 people are missing.

Hawaii Governor Josh Green told CNN on Thursday more than 1,700 buildings and billions of dollars in property had been destroyed in the disaster.

Governor Josh Green says the fires are the 'largest natural disaster in Hawaii state history' and 80% of historic seaside town Lahaina is 'gone'.

11,000 people are without power.

None of the fires are yet contained.

Last edited:
It's heartbreaking. The loss of life is mind blowing and tragic. That was a firestorm. The people barely had a chance. Lahaina is a compact place once you are in town.

Maui is my favorite place in the world and where I went for my honeymoon. Since, I've went many times for surf, diving, and just a good time with family. Lahaina is / was an awesome place. Even when they rebuild it won't be the same.

Been there once, when i was living in Hawaii. Nice place. Tragic, living in Hawaii is already hard for these people, this will be a major struggle to them back on their feet.

That death count is going to to up, stories of asphalt were like tar, vehicles couldn't get out and people we engulfed. National guard and life guards pulling bodies dead & alive out of the water because people were jumping in the water as fire moved quick, couldn't swim ocean covered with ember and ash.

Daughter and mother of my child lives out in Hawaii on the Island of Oahu, i was pretty worried as the entire Island chain were on dry conditions and brush fire with added winds.

Reminds me when Nero let Rome burn to build new palaces and playgrounds. No doubt corporations and hotels, etc will buy up all the land for cheap from local citizens.
Biden Gov doesnt give a damn about them. Tax money went to Hunter and Ukraine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back