Rumored Will Korean Zombie retire if he loses to Volkanovski?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I think he’s going to hang them up if he loses, which is likely that he will lose to Volkanovski.

He’s 35 years old and his body is pretty battle worn. I don’t think he has another run in him to work his way back into contention.

He’s also mentioned the R word after his Ortega loss. Could this be the last time we see him fight?

Depends on his bank account and desire to compete in general. There are plenty of fighters in ufc roster who have accepted that they will most likely never hold the title but choose to continue their careers anyway.

I hope he retires. The Zombie moniker is fun for everyone to watch, but could lead to a helluva quality of life loss if he keeps going.
He must be something of a superstar in fighting circles in Korea, so I am sure he could earn an awesome life for him and his fam by coaching and whatever. You dont get lost in the crowd like in the americas with so many native fighters.

For his health, I hope he does retire. KZ has always been a favorite, and it's crazy to think that he is back in a title fight after the Aldo fight was so long ago. However, he's usually in battles, and the brain can only take so much rattling. I see him kind of like a Clay Guida -- not going to reach gold, but an exciting old-school (well, in 2022, anyway) name to see on a fight card.

It's a very winnable fight for Zombie so we will see more of Zombie thankfully.

Depends on his bank account and desire to compete in general. There are plenty of fighters in ufc roster who have accepted that they will most likely never hold the title but choose to continue their careers anyway.

Exactly. Plenty of fighters are happy to stick around longer after they are no longer elite, being mid card action fighters, with name value, making a moderately good living. Then there's those who are done the moment they are no longer too 5-10 in the world.

Guida, Miller, Matt Brown, Arlovski. All hanging around happily 5 years past their primes, having fun veteran and gatekeeper fights.

All depends on whether KZ is happy to do that if he loses against Volk and maybe 1 more after that and it becomes clear he isn't top 5 any more.

It's a very winnable fight for Zombie so we will see more of Zombie thankfully.
KZ will find a way. he always does...

TO GET KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT!! bork1}
giphy.gif

I think so. I also think it makes him very dangerous. The guy to beat Volk isn't likely to win on the scorecards -- the guy to beat him is someone who has finishing power and can catch him with something big.

I'm not saying I favor KZ, but I don't think he's getting enough respect going into this fight. He's a live dog with nothing to lose.

He is already a superstar in Korea. He launched a MMA reality show over there. He might be done if he loses but if he wins then that place is going to have MMA fever. On a funny note, I asked some normie over there about KZ. They mentioned he isn't super popular because he isn't handsome enough.

if he loses your question is totally dependent on how badly he does so

I think so. I also think it makes him very dangerous. The guy to beat Volk isn't likely to win on the scorecards -- the guy to beat him is someone who has finishing power and can catch him with something big.

I'm not saying I favor KZ, but I don't think he's getting enough respect going into this fight. He's a live dog with nothing to lose.

Yup. I’m a Volk fan, but I see KZ as more dangerous than Ortega for Volk in many ways. Alex should win, but if it turns into a chaotic brawl, Zombie could find a finish, and he’ll need to finish. Volk won’t lose a decision.

I think (hope) Alex’s fight IQ is too high for that, but you never know.

If Pena could beat Nunes, there's still chance KZ can win.

I hope he retires. The Zombie moniker is fun for everyone to watch, but could lead to a helluva quality of life loss if he keeps going.
He must be something of a superstar in fighting circles in Korea, so I am sure he could earn an awesome life for him and his fam by coaching and whatever. You dont get lost in the crowd like in the americas with so many native fighters.
His management team, aka Jay Park’s company, seems to have helped him a lot in Korea. Definitely see him a lot more in the Korea media… on a side note, Stun Gun is staying very busy with the Korean entertainment side. I see him everywhere (as well as Sexyama).

This , some guys just want to fight. If he still has the desire to compete regardless of titles involved he would provide many interesting match ups against a slew of other talented guys.

Well his last title fight he got a boo boo on his shoulder and quit.

I would be very happy if he became a champ. I like Volk and I know everything is about imposing your game, but Zombie is truly one the most well-rounded fighters in the history of MMA. His Judo, Wrestling, BJJ and striking are all well above average and I really don't know many people who can do so many things that well. Too bad it never led him to become a champ, maybe it was his downfall that he was never extremely great in one special thing but yeah... That would be a fine moment.

Back