WIll Ngannou vs Joshua, lose money? Is it a good business decision?

Do the fans care enough to pay for Ngannou vs Joshua that it doesn't flop?

• Yes; the fans will pay to watch, it will be a huge PPV success

• No; they won't get enough people to tune in to cover their massive salaries

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Ngannou vs Fury was a huge loser and massive flop; estimates are around 10k on the low end to 70k on the high end.

Supposedly, fans might care more about Joshua vs Ngannou, will they care enough to bring the numbers up?

To justify the price tag for Ngannou and Joshua's rumored salary, they'll probably have to do 500k in buys. Can Ngannou bring in that much viewership? (He couldn't do it as UFC champ)

What do you think?

WIll the fans pay to see Ngannou vs Joshua?

My dear shill, respectfully the Saudis don't give a fuck about US PPVs. If they cared, they wouldn't broadcast it there on a Friday afternoon.

The card will sell well over 1 and likely approach 2 million in the UK though, guaranteed. AJ has done over a million vs Carlos Takam of all people and nearly 2 million vs Joseph Parker. AJ is a massive star in the UK and post-Fury Ngannou's star has risen.

This fight is not the freakshow the Fury fight was and even though Fury-Ngannou underperformed in PPVs it did not underperform in post-fight attention, where it got plenty of mainstream coverage.

It will be a big PPV in the UK and likely do big ratings in Germany. The Saudis will be hoping more for press buzz than PPVs in the US.

It'd legitimately odd you phrase it like that by mentioning Ngannou's numbers when he is the B side.

It will almost certainly do over a million PPV buys. A better question is if it will break 1.5 or 2 million.

Anthony Joshua has had 8 PPV's that sold over a million, and some of the guys he fought are less known than Ngannou (even before Ngannou fought Fury).

If you're saying they need to do 500,000 PPVs and every PPV Anthony Joshua ever had sold over 500,000 - what do you think is most likely to happen?

Like, it's so strange that almost all your post is about Francis and not Joshua, as if Joshua is the irrelevant one. I'm guessing you're coming from the heavies.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter whether it's a "good business decision" because it isn't a business decision at all.

The Saudis literally don't care about money. They pay more than Joshua's and Ngannou's combined purses for works of art, antiques and real estate every single day. They have more money than they know what to do with.

The Crown Prince literally bought a $450-million painting for his yatch (not his house but his yatch) and built a $300-million castle in France, a country he never visits.

Last edited:
It'd legitimately odd you phrase it like that by mentioning Ngannou's numbers when he is the B side.

It will almost certainly do over a million PPV buys. A better question is if it will break 1.5 or 2 million.

Anthony Joshua has had 8 PPV's that sold over a million, and some of the guys he fought are less known than Ngannou (even before Ngannou fought Fury).

If you're saying they need to do 500,000 PPVs and every PPV Anthony Joshua ever had sold over 500,000 - what do you think is most likely to happen?

Like, it's so strange that almost all your post is about Francis and not Joshua, as if Joshua is the irrelevant one. I'm guessing you're coming from the heavies.

Fury was the A side (not as big of a PPV star) but he couldn’t carry Ngannou to even 100k buys worldwide in PPV.

I think this will be Joshua’s worst PPV by far.

My dear shill, respectfully the Saudis don't give a fuck about US PPVs. If they cared, they wouldn't broadcast it there on a Friday afternoon.

The card will sell well over 1 and likely approach 2 million in the UK though, guaranteed. AJ has done over a million vs Carlos Takam of all people and nearly 2 million vs Joseph Parker. AJ is a massive star in the UK and post-Fury Ngannou's star has risen.

This fight is not the freakshow the Fury fight was and even though Fury-Ngannou underperformed in PPVs it did not underperform in post-fight attention, where it got plenty of mainstream coverage.

It will be a big PPV in the UK and likely do big ratings in Germany. The Saudis will be hoping more for press buzz than PPVs in the US.

Ngannou’s popularity didn’t rise at all after his performance against Fury. All his social media numbers stayed pretty stagnant.

The hardcore fight community talked about it, but the main stream didn’t give a crap. Ngannou isn’t anywhere close to a household name.

This is going to be the worst PPV AJ ever did.

my son who likes neither boxing or MMA knew that Ngannou was fighting Fury, it hit casuals whether you like it or not

Joshua's lowest PPV numbers, against Breazeale, still did over a half million domestic PPV buys in the UK. The highest number of domestic PPV buys Joshua has done in the UK is over 1.8 million against Parker. These are just regional buys and not global figures. His fight with Ngannou should do just fine on PPV. Joshua can still draw even if Ngannou doesn't.

Ngannou’s popularity didn’t rise at all after his performance against Fury. All his social media numbers stayed pretty stagnant.

The hardcore fight community talked about it, but the main stream didn’t give a crap. Ngannou isn’t anywhere close to a household name.

This is going to be the worst PPV AJ ever did.

You need to work on your game.

How many more social media fans did Ngannou get after Fury fight? (It didn’t increase)

Do you know how many more Conor got after Aldo? Millions.

Just take a look at twitter, instagram, and Facebook.
So Ngannou's stock didn't climb then? I guess that explains why he's suddenly making double what he made in his last fight (it'll be even more with PPV buys).

How many more social media fans did Ngannou get after Fury fight? (It didn’t increase)

Do you know how many more Conor got after Aldo? Millions.

Just take a look at twitter, instagram, and Facebook.
Ngannou has more social media followers by far then Wilder , more then double . Joshua has triple then Ngannou ,Fury has only slightly more followers then Ngannou does .

If you we’re crunching numbers you’d be looking at Wallins profile who’s jumped from a few thousand to well over 25 K now ………it’s Joshua who makes other fighters gain popularity,anything else is irrelevant . The joke is Joshua isn’t known in America yet his followers make everyone else’s look silly .

Last time I checked a few months ago Wilders competition on social media was more Eddie Hearn not the guys he’s competing with who were Fury and Joshua ,and Wilder called himself the face of boxing and the guy who should have been the main event . Lol

Fans decided not to pay an over priced circus fight last time it isn’t viewed as that anymore , Ngannou and Joshua should bring a hefty viewership with two knockout punchers .

Last edited:
So Ngannou's stock didn't climb then? I guess that explains why he's suddenly making double what he made in his last fight (it'll be even more with PPV buys).

I don’t think it did. We’ll see soon enough with the PPV but I don’t think Joshua is going to be able to carry Ngannou on this one.

Why did he make like 10 million vs. Fury when he should have made 100k?

I don’t think it did. We’ll see soon enough with the PPV but I don’t think Joshua is going to be able to carry Ngannou on this one.

Why did he make like 10 million vs. Fury when he should have made 100k?
Joshua has carried far less popular fighters than Ngannou before. I've already given a great example of that and his name is Breazeale. Even against Usyk, who is a brilliant fighter but boring as hell to casuals, Joshua did over 1.2 million PPV buys domestically in the first fight and did it again in the rematch. Ngannou is set to make a $20m guaranteed purse regardless of how the PPV buys turn out. That's why it's called a guarantee.

The Saudis already know that his last PPV against Fury bombed and yet they're paying him double. He's being paid what they believe his current market value is. Not what they think he'll be able to sell against Joshua.

It should be above 1 million in UK

untitled-2-jpg.1023147

On Topic... Saudis are obviously losing the money... Fighters, coaches, promoters & managers on other hand are making the money.

Joshua has carried far less popular fighters than Ngannou before. I've already given a great example of that and his name is Breazeale. Even against Usyk, who is a brilliant fighter but boring as hell to casuals, Joshua did over 1.2 million PPV buys domestically in the first fight and did it again in the rematch. Ngannou is set to make a $20m guaranteed purse regardless of how the PPV buys turn out. That's why it's called a guarantee.

The Saudis already know that his last PPV against Fury bombed and yet they're paying him double. He's being paid what they believe his current market value is. Not what they think he'll be able to sell against Joshua.

Lol, they aren’t paying Francis market value.

No other promoter would pay Francis 20 million. They are paying 20 million because they don’t care, not because Francis is worth anything near that.

Anyways we’ll see whether or not AJ can carry Ngannou.

yeah, its gonna lose money.

yeah, its a good business decision.

it allows the Saudis to further their sportswashing and attracts eyes from across the world. the image of Saudi Arabia being "cleaned up" on an international level is worth more than most money can buy.

The Saudis don't give a shit if they loose money on this. They are spending billions on sports alone in an attempt to help sanitize their image to the west.

Lol, they aren’t paying Francis market value.

No other promoter would pay Francis 20 million. They are paying 20 million because they don’t care, not because Francis is worth anything near that.

Anyways we’ll see whether or not AJ can carry Ngannou.
Read what I said. They're paying him what they believe his actual market value is. If they didn't care then why would they pay him $20m this time and only $10m last time? They'd have just kept it the same or near that amount. In other words, Ngannou's value went up in their eyes. We've seen big draws bomb on PPV. They still get paid a fortune. The Saudis are sitting on $800 billion in assets. That's how they're able to afford such big purses.

Back