Will Rafa Mendes' guard ever get passed?

I bet Gordon Ryan could do it.

I'm totally cereal.

I dont think so. Specially bc his division everybody pulls guard and noone has enough skills to do that. Beside the fact that hes not an open weight kinda guy

I swept him once and took side control at a seminar.

So yeah, basically a big deal.

I dont think so. Specially bc his division everybody pulls guard and noone has enough skills to do that. Beside the fact that hes not an open weight kinda guy

Yeah, like Cobrinha, guys who don't know how to pass the guard...

Yeah, like Cobrinha, guys who don't know how to pass the guard...
Cobrinha did it once, actually he was first and only and it happened in the first year of Rafa Mendes black belt career. But as I said: nobody got the answer to Rafas guard, neither Cobrinha anymore and their fights speak for itself.

Cobrinha did it once, actually he was first and only and it happened in the first year of Rafa Mendes black belt career. But as I said: nobody got the answer to Rafas guard, neither Cobrinha anymore and their fights speak for itself.

I don't remember this one.

Marcio Andre passed Cobrinha's guard this year at worlds for the first time at weight since Cobrinha got his black belt. There is something of an asterisk next to that given the injury/headwrap stuff Cobrinha was dealing with, but he's probably one of the main guys to watch nonetheless.

Not even Rodolf passed Rafa guard...
but that was in nogi... watch rodolfo vs cobrinha in the gi and see him smash poor cobrinha to shit. now i honestly think rafa has the most difficult guard to pass, but cobrinha isn't far behind.

I don't think his guard will ever be passed. Especially nogi. Not cleanly. Someone may sort of get around the legs one day and make him scramble back to guard but I don't expect him to be passed and controlled for 3 seconds. He's able to get to his game too quickly. The next time loses at his weight class I think it will be by a sweep or I would even predict some kind of flash submission like a flying triangle before a guard pass.

It was their very first match in 2008. Go to 6 mins. It's the reason Rafa stopped playing deep half or half guard

He also loves that far lapel grip while passing now. Did he use that much before this?

Back