Will we ever see another 200-210 pounds HW champ?

Naoya#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Or is Wilder the last breed?

Wilder was like 213 against 240 Parker.

206 against (Wilder was sick during fightn night) Fury first fight.

Im not sure but didnt Foreman say something like "a 220 pounds champ will come" and his name is Wilder.

usyk is close enough, made his HW debut at 215 and was 221 in his last 3 fights.

wait what ...? i always thought hes more in the 230-240 range.

this littler fucker is far more powerful than i thought.

war usyk

I’m really hoping Usyk can eliminate doubt and walk out of the big show down holding them all. Would really clear a lot up. If Fury somehow wins it’s kind of gonna be like “why?”
I think most people underestimate how much important being in shape is when it comes to professional boxing.

An in-shape Fury and an out-of-shape Fury are completely different animals. The former is a top 1 HW, the latter is a top 50 at best.

It’s something we take for granted because every other boxer tends to show up in relatively good shape but Fury doesn’t give a fuck.

I think most people underestimate how much important being in shape is when it comes to professional boxing.

An in-shape Fury and an out-of-shape Fury are completely different animals. The former is a top 1 HW, the latter is a top 50 at best.

It’s something we take for granted because every other boxer tends to show up in relatively good shape but Fury doesn’t give a fuck.
Very true

In the era of 6'5-6'9 HWs, probably not. At some point, the size becomes too big of a hurdle to overcome.

Probably not anymore given how much bigger they are today on average. We've had heavyweight champs much smaller & lighter than that though if you go back far enough. Marciano fought as low as the 170s in some of his fights and Bob Fitzsimmons fought as low as the 140s at heavyweight.

wait what ...? i always thought hes more in the 230-240 range.

this littler fucker is far more powerful than i thought.

war usyk
You thought Usyk was that heavy? He weighed around 210-212 lbs at cruiser on fight night. When he moved up to heavy he added an additional 10 lbs or so to help him compete there. Like another poster said he made his heavyweight debut at 215 lbs.

As Bob Arum said it, they're all playing in the NBA and NFL...

Coming in fat might actually help him against Usyk. He's not going to outbox him even if he's in shape, but he could come in heavy to pull off the Tyson Fury wet blanket strategy and just drape himself on Usyk, who would be 60 lbs smaller than him.

We absolutely will, I've always believed heavyweights above 215 start losing too much of their agility, speed and stamina. Wilder never even had those things and he was still able to take down bigger guys. It's not wrestling or football where extra weight is worth the tradeoffs.

it's crazy how unskilled he is though, skill and even power aren't really erased by being out of shape, the problem with being out of shape, is primarily stamina, of course, timing, mental resilience etc.., count too. But the biggest factor is being able to go round after round. An out of shape fighter is going to still have the same punching power as he would in shape for throwing one punch, it's where a guy is exhausted that those things are wrecked.

You thought Usyk was that heavy? He weighed around 210-212 lbs at cruiser on fight night. When he moved up to heavy he added an additional 10 lbs or so to help him compete there. Like another poster said he made his heavyweight debut at 215 lbs.

yep ... but dont asked me where i heard/saw it. maybe it was just a fake picture in my telegram channel ... idk.

my respect for usyk is bigger

little brother got the chin and body made of steel and balls as wide as the grand canyon

The reigning champ is a career cruiserweight, so I'd say yeah.

Back