Will weight cutting always be a part of fighting?

lesnarsneedle

Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think fighters will always cut weight?

Or do you think that with cerrone performing so well and looking healthy at 170, as well as conor glowing at 170 but like a skeleton at 145, along with the effect of dehydration on a brain receiving blows, that cutting will be a thing of the past and fighters will see the advantages of feeling healthy and hydrated vs the small size advantage?

It could be done. Everyone could step up in weight class to the next one, and they could make a super heavyweight class for the hw's.

Then all would be equal, and everyone would be healthy and hydrated.

I honestly hope it isn't. It's not even remotely necessary. And can really damage a fighter's body.

Same day weigh-ins are the answer.

Knock off this bullshit... No more advantage to the fighters that are willing to go full Auschwitz mode.

It's safer, and more fair.

If there is any type of possible loophole to fight opponents who are smaller than you, fighters will take that opportunity because of how much is on the line with every fight. Fighters who don't give a shit like BJ and Fedor are an exception, and the vast majority of fighters understandably want to take any steps possible to get a size advantage.

I wish I could come up with some idea to get rid of extreme weight cutting but it feels like every option always has a downside or an exploitable loophole. Maybe weighing fighters before they step in the cage, and fining fighters who exceed a certain amount gained, but then you'll run into fighters who will come into the cage dehydrated to avoid the fine.

Last edited:
Stop making threads you cuck.

I hope not, but I don't know how to get rid of it.

Same day weigh in is one possible solution, but there's certainly potential drawbacks to that as well. I think perhaps it should be tested at some small shows to see how it works.

Connie glowing? You mean getting tooled by a 155er at 170lbs?

No. I don't think it will stop. Size is a huge advantage. Most fighters will struggle more with a bigger opponent. Today weightcutting is a very important skill, like cardio or footwork.

Even in amateur junior boxing, with same day weigh-ins, weightcutting is important. 16 year olds boxing at <60 kilos (132 lbs)cut up to about 3-4 kilos of water (about 7-9 lbs) on same day weigh ins, and if a top 5 guy at 60 (132lbs) kilos moves up to fight a top 5 guy at 63 kilos (139lbs), it is the biggest guy that wins, 90% of the times.

I would prefer same day weigh ins though. The new system with earlier weigh ins let fighters cut even more weight, and it is harmful to them, and will potentially make one guy much bigger than the rest. At least same day weigh ins would make guys cut only about 10 lbs.

Do you think fighters will always cut weight?

Or do you think that with cerrone performing so well and looking healthy at 170, as well as conor glowing at 170 but like a skeleton at 145, along with the effect of dehydration on a brain receiving blows, that cutting will be a thing of the past and fighters will see the advantages of feeling healthy and hydrated vs the small size advantage?

It could be done. Everyone could step up in weight class to the next one, and they could make a super heavyweight class for the hw's.

Then all would be equal, and everyone would be healthy and hydrated.
if HWs could find a diet or any BS that could help make them fight at WW... damn... they would jump on it..

Unfortunately, this is the new trend and has nothing to do with MMA/Vale Tudo´s tradition, where fights used to happen at open weight btw 1940s and 2000s...

Modern fans, especially the wrestling fans, have absolutely no pb with it...

There will always be the inferior fighters who feel they need the weight advantage to win a fight. And then the fighters who want to fight at a more natural weight, they'll get bullied by the much bigger guys and it'll leave them with no choice but to also cut weight.

It's a vicious cycle. I think one of the best ways to get away from it is have weight classes at every 10 pounds. I think that would give fighters more options to find the most suitable weight class.

170 - 205 need to be revamped.
125-155 is the way to do it, but I doubt anyone at 125 actually weighs 125, so if divisions started at 135 and restrictions were enforced on how much weight could be cut during fight week, it would sort itself out.

I don't think fighters want to lose that advantage, tho. And I don't think UFC wants to go through the hassle of re-establishing weight classes and existing champions.

I hope not, but I don't know how to get rid of it.

Same day weigh in is one possible solution, but there's certainly potential drawbacks to that as well. I think perhaps it should be tested at some small shows to see how it works.

It was already "tested" in Boxing from the beginning of the sport until HBO lost money on a cancelled Spinks/Muhammad fight in 1983.

Same day weigh-in will be the only thing that stops radical cutting. If some idiots try deep cutting and end up dead (Kim) then that's on them.

Hell, I'd even be up for cage side weigh-in. Want to fight at 170? Walk into the cage at 170.

Just have them step on a scale during the pre-fight cup & mouthguard check. Weigh shorts, jock & gloves during the equipment check-in the day before & tare it out on the scale ahead of time. If you're less than 2% of the class limit over you're fined 20% & the fight proceeds as scheduled, anything above that & the opponent has the option to decline the fight & gets 50% of the guys show money

It will always be a part of fighting unless you change how the weigh-ins work.

It doesn't need to be. ONE championship has already solved the weight cutting problem and its as simple as a hydration test at weigh in time. They effectively banned dehydration for making weight.

Not hydrated? then drink until you can pass the test, if you are overweight then you get punished accordingly.

It would result in 90% of UFC fighters moving up a division though

Connie glowing? You mean getting tooled by a 155er at 170lbs?

1. Glowing meaning how he looked weighing in at 170 compared to looking sickly at 145.

2. You mean a 200+er at 170.

3. Diaz-v-McGregor2.jpgDiaz-v-McGregor2.jpg Diaz-v-McGregor2.jpgDiaz-v-McGregor2.jpg Diaz-v-McGregor2.jpgDiaz-v-McGregor2.jpg

I don't think fighters want to lose that advantage, tho. And I don't think UFC wants to go through the hassle of re-establishing weight classes and existing champions.

There wouldn't really be any change if they went to same day weigh-ins. The same guys would mostly be fighting the same guys, just up one division. Healthier fighters fighting their same opponents. What a concept!

Sure the LW Champ would have to Vacate and fight for the WW belt, and so on. But the UFC could deal with that pretty easily.

I honestly hope it isn't. It's not even remotely necessary. And can really damage a fighter's body.

Same day weigh-ins are the answer.

Knock off this bullshit... No more advantage to the fighters that are willing to go full Auschwitz mode.

It's safer, and more fair.

Same day weigh ins will do nothing. Guys will just risk very serious injury, we've actually seen it happen the few times that same day weigh ins were used.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/wa...by-fight-officials-b99356847z1-280084622.html

Cutting weight has been part of combat sports for as long as combat sports had weight classes.

Last edited:
if HWs could find a diet or any BS that could help make them fight at WW... damn... they would jump on it..

Unfortunately, this is the new trend and has nothing to do with MMA/Vale Tudo´s tradition, where fights used to happen at open weight btw 1940s and 2000s...

Modern fans, especially the wrestling fans, have absolutely no pb with it...

Weight cutting has been part of combat sports as long as weight classes have been part of combat sports.

Weight cutting has been part of combat sports as long as weight classes have been part of combat sports.
ure dead wrong.

MMA as Vale Tudo´s heir is traditionally at openweight, .

U can go back to the 1940s through the 1990s and even 2000s, to find MMA/Vale Tudo cards at openweight, with fights involving fighters like>

Waldemar Santana
Helio Gracie
George Gracie
Carlos Gracie
Maeda
Count Kimura
Rickson Gracie
Rei Zulu
Mestre Tatu
Oswaldo Fadda
..... BJJ vs Luta Livre Official Cards.

then u have the Pancrase years, Pride years, 1st UFCs etc...

The tradition is: OPENWEIGHT FIGHTS.

Back