Will weight cutting always be a part of fighting?

Just have them step on a scale during the pre-fight cup & mouthguard check. Weigh shorts, jock & gloves during the equipment check-in the day before & tare it out on the scale ahead of time. If you're less than 2% of the class limit over you're fined 20% & the fight proceeds as scheduled, anything above that & the opponent has the option to decline the fight & gets 50% of the guys show money

So cancel fights 1 minute before? Tthat would be a really short notice replacement.....

giphy.gif

Cage-side weigh-ins. You fail to make weight right before the fight, you don't get to fight and are given an automatic L.

You keep wanting to make this about mma, and pretend it has nothing to do with boxing or wrestling. Let's make a comparison. In the early days of boxing there were no weight classes, guys would just get matched up and fight. Weight classes started being defined in 1823, as it was more dangerous for smaller fighters to be fighting guys with distinct size advantages. They started creating weight classes and boxers started cutting weight to compete at lower weights, or to become multiple division champions, etc etc etc.

Muay Thai experienced the same kind of thing in the 1930s when it started getting regulated with a ring, actual gloves instead of horse hide or hemp rope bindings, and weight classes. We see guys like Dieselnoi Chor Thanasukarn, a 6'1 135lb fighter who was so devastating he actually had to retire because nobody would fight him for two years straight.

Funny enough we saw the same exact thing happen in mma. As soon as weight classes were defined we had guys cutting weight to fight in them. This isn't wrestling culture, this is combat sports culture.

Holy shit!

Kickboxing record
Total
Wins 110
By knockout 40
Losses 0
Draws 2

UFC is the Gracie's heir, not Vale Tudo's. That's why several of the better martial artists in the world weren't even invited to the first tournaments while it was still under Gracie control. Guys like:

Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Gokor Chivichyan
Ernesto Hoost
Andy Hug
Mike Tyson
Aleksandr Karelin
Walt Bayless
Dave Schultz
Pawel Nastula
Kaensak Sor Pioenchit
Samart Payakaroon
Ramon Dekkers
u have no clue.

Its laughable.

UFC was still a local
UFC is the Gracie's heir, not Vale Tudo's. That's why several of the better martial artists in the world weren't even invited to the first tournaments while it was still under Gracie control. Guys like:

Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Gokor Chivichyan
Ernesto Hoost
Andy Hug
Mike Tyson
Aleksandr Karelin
Walt Bayless
Dave Schultz
Pawel Nastula
Kaensak Sor Pioenchit
Samart Payakaroon
Ramon Dekkers

uaauuauauauaua... Mike Tyson.... uauauauauuauau... in the early UFCs....auuauaauauauuauauauauau....

Mike... auauuauauau... who was paid millions & millions $ back in the days ...uauauauauuuauau... would be lured by Rorion into UFC..... uauauauauua... for 150 K !!!...auuauauuuauuaua... some 3 fights per night.... auuauauauauauauaua.. means 50k per fight... UAUAUUUAUAUAUAUUAU

UAUAUUAUAUUAUUAUAUAUUAUAUAUUAUAUUAUAU

- Hi, this is Rorion Gracie talkin, can I talk to Mr Don King, please?

- Yeahh. Who´s there?

- Rorion Gracie.I´m...

- Rorion who?

- Rorion Gracie, and..

- Yeah, what do u want?

- Ive been trying to talk to u for the last 18 months, its about my UFC event..

- UFC what?

- Ultimate Fighting Championships.

- Ah, fights... How much ure offering to me... hmm.. to Mike...

- 50 per fight.

- 50 millions?? Wow..

- Uh no, 50 k...

- tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-

UAUUAUUAUAUUAUAUAUUAUA

Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Gokor Chivichyan
Ernesto Hoost
Andy Hug
Mike Tyson
Aleksandr Karelin
Walt Bayless
Dave Schultz
Pawel Nastula
Kaensak Sor Pioenchit
Samart Payakaroon
Ramon Dekkers

ahahahah some good laughs with u my friend...

Hmmmm.. lets see the rest of ur msg...

Hmmm...

Hmmmmmmm...

ahahahhahaah

ok,lets go:

1/ Marco Ruas.

Marco Ruas was LUTA LIVRE, the Gracies were BJJ. Both were rivals, competitors, enemies in Brazil back in the days..

The Gracies helpin a Luta Livre guy to break through a new market like the American one, would be like the Houston Rockets helpin the Spurs to break through the Chinese market, thanks to their Yao Ming connection.

Its... stupid.

Even Marcos Ruas himself acknowledged it a few years later, they didnt owe him nuthin.

Obs: Marco finally got into the UFC in 1995, UFC7.

2/ All the Russians/Eastern Europeans u quoted:

1st UFC = 1993
End of the Cold War = 1992.

Do I have to explain?

3/ Oleg Taktarov´s case:

Oleg was selected to the UFC 5, 1995.

Why him, and no other russian?

Simply because Oleg was already in the States, as he was tryin to become an actor.

4/ Other fighters (Europe/Asia):

U have no clue. Absolutely none.

U seem to believe that, back in 1993, Rorion was travellin around the world, with a private jet, a super budget, callin anyone with his smartphone, followin people via instagram or facebook, and offering spots to fight at UFC.

Like he was scouting fighters all around the world.

ahhahahahhhhhhhahah

Laughable.

UFC 1 was a ROOKIE organization, they selected fighters the way they could, essentially local fighters, puttin adds in newspapers for instance.. Checkin their credentials, watchin SOMETIMES some of their fights in VHS... V-H-S.. Or u believe there already was Youtube in 1993???

Last edited:

Oleg Taktarov
Marco Ruas
Gokor Chivichyan
Ernesto Hoost
Andy Hug
Mike Tyson
Aleksandr Karelin
Walt Bayless
Dave Schultz
Pawel Nastula
Kaensak Sor Pioenchit
Samart Payakaroon
Ramon Dekkers

Concerning the link btw UFC and Vale Tudo, I wont bother explainin it to u, u already proved u have no clue about MMA´s history.

Last edited:
Kinda empirical thing.

(If u in hs, wrestle, or if u older, the train, by that I mean spar.)

But yeah, empirically as well as logically, I do.

I honestly hope it isn't. It's not even remotely necessary. And can really damage a fighter's body.

Same day weigh-ins are the answer.

Knock off this bullshit... No more advantage to the fighters that are willing to go full Auschwitz mode.

It's safer, and more fair.

Same Day weigh ins aren't used for safety reasons.

Yes.

People don't come in 10/15 lb increments.

Never heard it said like that, its perfect.

u have no clue.

Its laughable.

UFC was still a local

uaauuauauauaua... Mike Tyson.... uauauauauuauau... in the early UFCs....auuauaauauauuauauauauau....

Mike... auauuauauau... who was paid millions & millions $ back in the days ...uauauauauuuauau... would be lured by Rorion into UFC..... uauauauauua... for 150 K !!!...auuauauuuauuaua... some 3 fights per night.... auuauauauauauauaua.. means 50k per fight... UAUAUUUAUAUAUAUUAU

UAUAUUAUAUUAUUAUAUAUUAUAUAUUAUAUUAUAU

- Hi, this is Rorion Gracie talkin, can I talk to Mr Don King, please?

- Yeahh. Who´s there?

- Rorion Gracie.I´m...

- Rorion who?

- Rorion Gracie, and..

- Yeah, what do u want?

- Ive been trying to talk to u for the last 18 months, its about my UFC event..

- UFC what?

- Ultimate Fighting Championships.

- Ah, fights... How much ure offering to me... hmm.. to Mike...

- 50 per fight.

- 50 millions?? Wow..

- Uh no, 50 k...

- tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-

UAUUAUUAUAUUAUAUAUUAUA

ahahahah some good laughs with u my friend...

Hmmmm.. lets see the rest of ur msg...

Hmmm...

Hmmmmmmm...

ahahahhahaah

ok,lets go:

1/ Marco Ruas.

Marco Ruas was LUTA LIVRE, the Gracies were BJJ. Both were rivals, competitors, enemies in Brazil back in the days..

The Gracies helpin a Luta Livre guy to break through a new market like the American one, would be like the Houston Rockets helpin the Spurs to break through the Chinese market, thanks to their Yao Ming connection.

Its... stupid.

Even Marcos Ruas himself acknowledged it a few years lates, they didnt owe him nuthin.

Obs: Marco finally got into the UFC in 1995, UFC7.

2/ All the Russians/Eastern Europeans u quoted:

1st UFC = 1993
End of the Cold War = 1992.

Do I have to explain?

3/ Oleg Taktarov´s case:

Oleg was selected to the UFC 5, 1995.

Why him, and no other russian?

Simply because Oleg was already in the States, as he was tryin to become an actor.

4/ Other fighters (Europe/Asia):

U have no clue. Absolutely none.

U seem to believe that, back in 1993, Rorion was travellin around the world, with a private jet, a super budget, callin anyone with his smartphone, followin people via instagram or facebook, and offering spots to fight at UFC.

Like he was scouting fighters all around the world.

ahhahahahhhhhhhahah

Laughable.

UFC 1 was a ROOKIE organization, they selected fighters the way they could, essentially local fighters, puttin adds in newspapers for instance.. Checkin their credentials, watchin SOMETIMES some of their fights in VHS... V-H-S.. Or u believe there already was Youtube in 1993???

Are you having a stroke? Should we call someone?

So cancel fights 1 minute before? Tthat would be a really short notice replacement.....
Yeah I realized how messed up that was as soon as I posted it. Maybe matchmakers just need to have enough sense to tell guys no when they come in with some stupid ass ideas like Alves @ LW or Gastelum @ WW

Back