Will you ever see Askren the same again?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Askren supporters were extremely vocal before he came to the USA about how he is elite and possibly p4p #1

His detractors (smart people) couldn’t say anything except that he fought cans

There is something about being undefeated that even haters can’t deny... a mystique

Then he came to the UFC and almost got his head taken off in his first match... but somehow he walked away with a win

Then in his second fight he was on the wrong side for the record of fastest KO in UFC history

Haters have permanently written him off as a legitimate threat to the title. He’s older, and his KO was embarrassing

So I direct this question towards Askren fans... do you honestly think he can make a title run? Or do you accept the reality that he is nothing more than an above average wrestler but overall pretty below average fighter?

Hopefully we'll see him like this again

7c5gVlS.png

Let’s see how his next fight goes.

AskrenGOAT will always have a supporter in me.

Let’s see how his next fight goes.

He will be fighting a guy who invites the ground and is 50 years old ... not a real indicator when he is in a division of wrestlers who can stop his takedowns and make his striking look like Ronda Rousey

Askren supporters were extremely vocal before he came to the USA about how he is elite and possibly p4p #1

There is something about being undefeated that even haters can’t deny... a mystique

Then he came to the UFC and almost got his head taken off in his first match... but somehow he walked away with a win

Then in his second fight he was on the wrong side for the record of fastest KO in UFC history

Haters have permanently written him off as a legitimate threat to the title. He’s older, and his KO was embarrassing

So I direct this question towards Askren fans... do you honestly think he can make a title run? Or do you accept the reality that he is nothing more than an above average wrestler but overall pretty below average fighter?
100% he will get the title.
Short of another fluke KO (which could happen).
No one wants to fight him. Usman thanked his lucky stars he didn't have to fight him.
Masvidal was the only one crazy enough to actually fight him.

He is the best wrestler we have seen in MMA. When i say that, i mean the best grappler.

Also, he has an awesome mentality, he wasn't fazed one bit about his loss.

He will see the holes in his game, and fix them.

I fully expect him to smash Maia.
I'll AV bet anyone who wants to.

He lost all his credibility, especially bc in the eyes of most fans he just lost to Lawler as well. I mean, getting your head pounded in for 1 minute and then finishing with a fake bulldog choke isn't exactly a win that people gonna remember.

As far as I'm concerned he's 0-2. Maia submits him and he's out.

Talk about leading people to a certain point of view...

He will be fighting a guy who invites the ground and is 50 years old ... not a real indicator when he is in a division of wrestlers who can stop his takedowns and make his striking look like Ronda Rousey
Dude it’s a 35 year old vs a 41

K1 Maia is happy to kickbox when it's required, and he is facing a guy with no striking whatsoever.

giphy.gif

He was tooling Colby on the feet, made the no1 contender look terrible :)

He lost all his credibility, especially bc in the eyes of most fans he just lost to Lawler as well. I mean, getting your head pounded in for 1 minute and then finishing with a fake bulldog choke isn't exactly a win that people gonna remember.

As far as I'm concerned he's 0-2. Maia submits him and he's out.
Lawler went out, deal with it.

CautiousFondArcticseal-size_restricted.gif

Nothing embarrassing in the Masvidal KO. Spectacular and well-executed by Masvidal, not embarrassing though. It's a combat sport. Why should the perspective on Askren change for the worst?

I saw him as one dimensional before and nothing changed...

I think it's obvious he will be diving at ankles more than ever. Rarely misses when he shoots, so its butts to canvas all day sohn.

Nothing embarrassing in the Masvidal KO. Spectacular and well-executed by Masvidal, not embarrassing though. It's a combat sport. Why should the perspective on Askren change for the worst?
You can't be serious? he even knew Jorge might try something like that!!

giphy.gif

just look at his arms right before the knee lands, that IS embarassing :D

He is still got curly hair, unless his curls have dropped off after he got knocked out... so I guess, yeah. Gonna look the same to me.

He probably never thought that having a rematch with Lawler would've ended up being a better decision.

He was caught cold, it happens.

The thing I don't understand is why do MMA fans think that being caught cold before the fighter has even warmed up is more impressive. In boxing that is looked on as less impressive. It's basically catching them before they are ready.

Show me any above average wrestler who is 19-1 in MMA, has a win against Lawler and will make a million this year. Any.

He was caught cold, it happens.

The thing I don't understand is why do MMA fans think that being caught cold before the fighter has even warmed up is more impressive. In boxing that is looked on as less impressive. It's basically catching them before they are ready.
Like Aldo's not a great Featherweight for one fight.

Back