Win only by Large margin or Finish. Close margin = Draw

Look man, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. This has been going on for days and I’m tired of it. We’re getting nowhere. You’re clearly not looking for criticism and you’re clearly unwilling to accept any shortcomings in your idea. You have made it clear you will argue to no end because your goal is to get the person to move on so you can feel right. You wore me down, I’ll move on. I’m sure you’ll feel validated and that you were right, but you are very much mistaken. Your idea is still just as shitty as it was from the beginning and you’ve done a terrible job of convincing anybody that it would be good. If it was a good idea, you wouldn’t have to defend it nonstop.

It also shows this type of limited wrestler, who must stand again and again because of the ref or his opponent, isnt good enough to implement his GnP game, top control game and submission game.

But they are good enough to keep taking their opponent down. And their opponent can't stop the takedowns, which is their fault.

O yes he is! In the standup he is in control and the aggressor against Askren. Askren is afraid in the standup, he knows he will lose. Masvidal will be the boss in control standing because this is his expertise. Askren will be worried. Its exactly the same thing but just the other way around. And you still havent answered my question:

It's not the same thing. When 2 fighters are standing, no one is in control by default. It's 50-50 in terms of control. If one person is on top of another on the ground, they are in control.

"O yes he is! In the standup he is in control and the aggressor against Askren." But he can't be the aggressor when you just said he's not doing anything on the feet. You just contradicted yourself.

"Masvidal will be the boss in control standing because this is his expertise." Ok, and how do the judges know this?

"If your opponent completely shut down your offense and doesnt do ANY offense himself, they defeated you"
You agree with this right?

Well to be honest, merely landing a takedown is a form of offence. So no, I do not agree with that.

Aaah, well well well. Look at that! I think we got a breakthrough ladies and gentlemen!

What breakthrough?

Very close fights which end up in decisions are becoming more and more the norm in MMA. I think this is a problem because there is a flaw in the current reward system. Alot of fighters have the goal to get a 10-9 round. 10-9 rounds are very close rounds where nothing decisive really happens actually in terms of ending a fight. This is also a big reason of the existance of boring fights without much action. Why? Because fighters are thinking in points, "I am ahead because I have Octagon Control" or "I am ahead with one takedown more". To make MMA come back to its roots more and make it more fun too, what do you guys think about this following system:

-still using 3 and 5 round fights
-still using the same time limits
-introducing draws
-win can only be achieved by a finish in unranked fights
-in ranked fights a win can also be achieved by scoring 10-8 rounds
-10-9 do not exist, they are 10-10
-only in titlefights you can win by scoring 10-9 rounds
-showmoney a bit lower
-by a draw or loss no extra money
-finishmoney is 2,5x fold of showmoney against unranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 2x fold of showmoney against #15-#10 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 4x fold of showmoney against #15-#10 ranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 3x fold of showmoney against #9-#5 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 6x fold of showmoney against #9-#5 ranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 4x fold of showmoney against #4-#1 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 8x fold of showmoney against #4-#1 ranked opponent
-by a draw the lower ranked fighter stagnates at his rank (#10 stays at #10)
-by a draw the higher ranked fighter drops 1 rank above the lower ranked opponent (#5 drops to #9)
-only the champion doesnt get any showmoney nor decisionmoney by 10-9 at all so he is not willing to fight for a boring 10-9 decision win.

Im seeing some benefits by doing this:

-more fair to finishing fighters who have developed more impressive skills
-motivation to finish the opponent (or at least make it 10-8 in ranked fights)
-motivation to develop finishing skills
-more exciting fights
-more impressive fighters
-the limited neutralizing fighter who is not willing to develop his finishing game will never be able to climb up the ranks
LETS GET 5000 SHERBROS to put up 500$ each and start SHERDOG FIGHTING. sounds good im in.

But they are good enough to keep taking their opponent down. And their opponent can't stop the takedowns, which is their fault.

Dont you get it they both suck? Doing tons of takedowns isnt a good thing, which part are you net getting?

It's not the same thing. When 2 fighters are standing, no one is in control by default. It's 50-50 in terms of control. If one person is on top of another on the ground, they are in control.

You still dont get it. It all depends on the fighters. The better striker has positional control in the standup. The grappling expert has positional control in the clinch or even from the bottom. So it all depends who the fighter is.

"O yes he is! In the standup he is in control and the aggressor against Askren." But he can't be the aggressor when you just said he's not doing anything on the feet. You just contradicted yourself.

Ofcourse Masvidal has the control on the feet. Like you are saying the guy on top is leading because he has the position he wants, so too the guy standing has the lead because he has the position he wants. This has nothing to do with striking in those positions, we are just talking about merely the positional advantage itself.

"Masvidal will be the boss in control standing because this is his expertise." Ok, and how do the judges know this?

Who cares? Being positionally in control shouldnt be rewarded anyway because you gotta do more than that according to me and other sane people.

Well to be honest, merely landing a takedown is a form of offence. So no, I do not agree with that.

Ok so because he just got a takedown without doing anything, that by itself is enough to win.....thanks for ruining MMA.

What breakthrough?

For at least agreeing with me just having the standing positional control must not be rewarded. Now you have to agree with me yet on the ground positional control.

Last edited:
@McDego

Submissions make your opponent quit - which makes them unable to continue.

The point of fighting isn't "control" - LOL! It's to either knock them out or make them quit. That is what you train for. To render your opponent unconscious or make them tell you they're done fighting.

Lopsided decisions are a good indicator of who the better fighter is, but finishing leaves no doubt. How many times have you seen somebody win a fight until they lose it? Finishes are absolute. There is no debate. You can't have a "split finish", can you? Other than that double KO from years back - lol - but I think you should understand the point. Decisions are essentially the opinion of three ringside officials. Ask ANY fighter what their goal is when they enter the cage. It's the finish.

Fighters who train for control or who are point fighters are exploiting flaws in the scoring system to coast by and get their money. Typically these fighters are cutting 20+ pounds to fight smaller guys that they can overpower and hold down for 15-25 minutes then go collect their check with their "W".

How many pre-fight interviews do you hear a guy say "I'm going for the 30-27 tonight, guys. I want that dominant decision to show I'm light years ahead of my competition." ?? LOL!

--------
Shout out to McDego. I thought his post was very relevant to this topic. Would like to know his opinion on my idea too.

Very close fights which end up in decisions are becoming more and more the norm in MMA. I think this is a problem because there is a flaw in the current reward system. Alot of fighters have the goal to get a 10-9 round. 10-9 rounds are very close rounds where nothing decisive really happens actually in terms of ending a fight. This is also a big reason of the existance of boring fights without much action. Why? Because fighters are thinking in points, "I am ahead because I have Octagon Control" or "I am ahead with one takedown more". To make MMA come back to its roots more and make it more fun too, what do you guys think about this following system:

-still using 3 and 5 round fights
-still using the same time limits
-introducing draws
-win can only be achieved by a finish in unranked fights
-in ranked fights a win can also be achieved by scoring 10-8 rounds
-10-9 do not exist, they are 10-10
-only in titlefights you can win by scoring 10-9 rounds
-showmoney a bit lower
-by a draw or loss no extra money
-finishmoney is 2,5x fold of showmoney against unranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 2x fold of showmoney against #15-#10 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 4x fold of showmoney against #15-#10 ranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 3x fold of showmoney against #9-#5 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 6x fold of showmoney against #9-#5 ranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 4x fold of showmoney against #4-#1 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 8x fold of showmoney against #4-#1 ranked opponent
-by a draw the lower ranked fighter stagnates at his rank (#10 stays at #10)
-by a draw the higher ranked fighter drops 1 rank above the lower ranked opponent (#5 drops to #9)
-only the champion doesnt get any showmoney nor decisionmoney by 10-9 at all so he is not willing to fight for a boring 10-9 decision win.

Im seeing some benefits by doing this:

-more fair to finishing fighters who have developed more impressive skills
-motivation to finish the opponent (or at least make it 10-8 in ranked fights)
-motivation to develop finishing skills
-more exciting fights
-more impressive fighters
-the limited neutralizing fighter who is not willing to develop his finishing game will never be able to climb up the ranks

Back your claims up with statistics

Lol at fighters having the goal of a close 10-9 round. I mean who wouldn’t want to possibly win a close round?

Lol at fighters having the goal of a close 10-9 round. I mean who wouldn’t want to possibly win a close round?

Thats indeed a problem. If you reward that stuff you are creating these minimal fighters

Not gonna read through 17 pages but I'll restate what someone else probably said earlier about this often mentioned idea of calling all "close" fights draws...it would suck the life out of the sport...

Here's what would actually happen in most cases; Fight starts...Fighter A gets a few takedowns stuffed...fighter A gets the feeling he can't beat fighter B...fighter A starts to disengage and fight defensively in order to secure a draw...fighter B can no longer finish the fight since his opponent won't engage him...fight gets called a draw.

Here's what would actually happen in most cases; Fight starts...Fighter A gets a few takedowns stuffed...fighter A gets the feeling he can't beat fighter B...fighter A starts to disengage and fight defensively in order to secure a draw...fighter B can no longer finish the fight since his opponent won't engage him...fight gets called a draw.

So fighter A wants the fight on the ground and fighter B wants to strike in your scenario. If the fight is staying on the feet it means fighter B is going to wanna strike and start attacking A. Fighter A will defend to the best of his ability ofcourse. How that engagement will play out we dont know. All we know Fighter B is in his game and will try to hurt him as much as he can.

What do you mean he will not engage? He doesnt have an option but to engage because he is being attacked. If he literally is running away then we should introduce penalty points.

Nah we're not gonna randomly regress the rules by 20 years. This way is better.

Thats indeed a problem. If you reward that stuff you are creating these minimal fighters
I was being sarcastic.

No one wants close rounds where they don’t know if it was scored for them or not. It just happens in a fight with talented fighters.

And while I dont like the idea of scoring close rounds for one fighter it has to happen. And you can’t have too many draws for betting or for the progress of divisions.

It just makes no sense and that’s why no one agrees with you. Even if scoring close fights or rounds isn’t satisfying. At the end too many draws doesn’t work and you should just acknowledge that.

No one wants close rounds where they don’t know if it was scored for them or not. It just happens in a fight with talented fighters.

And while I dont like the idea of scoring close rounds for one fighter it has to happen.

Why on earth? It ruins alot of careers and records. Yoel Romero for example. He has now 'lost' his last 3 fights, but in actuality they were all close fights with alot of doubts. If you gave those 3 fights a draw it would be a fair decision.

And you can’t have too many draws for betting or for the progress of divisions.

Draws themselves would make progress in the division. The higher ranked fighter drops. Winning fighters will surpass the drawing fighters. The only stagnating thing is personal to the fighters who draw, but not the division. And what is too many? If 30% for example of fights end up in a draw, is that too many?

If the UFC offered a $1 million first round finish bonus how would that change things?

would it be good for the sport?

Back