With all due respect to Herb Dean

Has23

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
You reffed some good fights in the past but I think you need to seriously retrain or call it a day. The amount of early stoppages is getting ridiculous. Fans shouldn’t have to argue about if a stoppage was fair or not every time you ref. The volkov fight was so bad. Although JR got dropped, atleast give him a chance to get back up literally a few seconds. Imagine if herb reffed Edgar Maynard, we wouldn’t of seen an amazing trilogy. Go back and sharpen your skills or don’t ref at all. Atleast for now, he should stay away from main events and main cards

You can't think of every stoppage as "what if that was Edgar Maynard"

I agree Herb is a bad ref, but that wasn't a bad call. A lot of MMA fans get mad at a fight being stopped just because there's a 1/1000 chance there's some crazy comeback... I'd much rather let these guys live to fight another day. Roz was done, he crouched down and covered up, all the body language of someone who wanted out.

Reffing is a thankless job. If Herb had let that fight go longer and Jair got brutally KO'd unconscious, half the MMA fanbase would be complaining that he should have stopped it earlier.

It really wasn't a terrible stoppage. Jair got absolutely clocked and wobbled, got hit hard with several follow up shots, his mouthpiece went flying, he went to a knee and turned away and turtled up, hadn't given any indication that he was fighting back in awhile, and then Herb stopped it. People need to stop giving refs so much shit. It's an impossible job, you're never going to please everyone.

He stops women's fights and HW fights way too early

Scared someone might get hurt...

Reffing is a thankless job. If Herb had let that fight go longer and Jair got brutally KO'd unconscious, half the MMA fanbase would be complaining that he should have stopped it earlier.

It really wasn't a terrible stoppage. Jair got absolutely clocked and wobbled, got hit hard with several follow up shots, his mouthpiece went flying, he went to a knee and turned away and turtled up, hadn't given any indication that he was fighting back in awhile, and then Herb stopped it. People need to stop giving refs so much shit. It's an impossible job, you're never going to please everyone.
I agree, it was not horrible. Mouthpiece adds to it. Like was he hit hard enough for it to fly out or did jair spit it out. Either way he was probably 1 clean shot from being flatlined, but wasnt hit, so he recovered and made the stoppage look worse.

You reffed some good fights in the past but I think you need to seriously retrain or call it a day. The amount of early stoppages is getting ridiculous. Fans shouldn’t have to argue about if a stoppage was fair or not every time you ref. The volkov fight was so bad. Although JR got dropped, atleast give him a chance to get back up literally a few seconds. Imagine if herb reffed Edgar Maynard, we wouldn’t of seen an amazing trilogy. Go back and sharpen your skills or don’t ref at all. Atleast for now, he should stay away from main events and main cards
Meh, Volkov hits him a few more times and cuts him badly and you'd be screaming why he did not stop sooner.
I hate Herb as much as the next guy, and I have made fun of him many times (and groaned when he is refreeing some big fights) as well...

But this is a difficult and thankless job that everyone is watching from the comfort of their sofa and able to see different angles and replays...

All it takes is one time letting a fight go longer than needed and someone getting badly injured. IMHO if your job is to protect the fighters, then he did his job... maybe over-protective, but again, split second decisions are never easy.

Meh, Volkov hits him a few more times and cuts him badly and you'd be screaming why he did not stop sooner.
I hate Herb as much as the next guy, and I have made fun of him many times (and groaned when he is refreeing some big fights) as well...

But this is a difficult and thankless job that everyone is watching from the comfort of their sofa and able to see different angles and replays...

All it takes is one time letting a fight go longer than needed and someone getting badly injured. IMHO if your job is to protect the fighters, then he did his job... maybe over-protective, but again, split second decisions are never easy.
I thought about that earlier. Hindsight is alway 20/20. These guys are making choices in the heat of the moment. There’s better refs but…,people wil complain on both sides. These guys are fighting for money and our entertainment. That fight was over. He was done

"Whaaaaaaaaaaa". This was not a horrible stoppage. Volkov tagged Rozen hard, stunning him, and then Rozen dropped down, ate a barrage, got his mothpiece blown into the rafters, and then ate an uppercut on the button. Perfectly sane stoppage. Could it have gone on longer? Sure. But MMA is a sport of precision, and let's face it: getting rocked, then getting pummeled, then getting your mouthpiece knocked out, then eating an uppercut and slumping even lower against the fence, all in quick succession (and especially at HW). . . . the ref made an important and necessary snap-decision, which you can disagree with, but to be outraged is a joke. Get a hobby or something.

"Whaaaaaaaaaaa". This was not a horrible stoppage. Volkov tagged Rozen hard, stunning him, and then Rozen dropped down, ate a barrage, got his mothpiece blown into the rafters, and then ate an uppercut on the button. Perfectly sane stoppage. Could it have gone on longer? Sure. But MMA is a sport of precision, and let's face it: getting rocked, then getting pummeled, then getting your mouthpiece knocked out, then eating an uppercut and slumping even lower against the fence, all in quick succession (and especially at HW). . . . it's just not a good look, or the look of someone who's "in the fight". The ref made an important and necessary snap-decision, which you can disagree with, but to be outraged is a joke. Get a hobby or something.

I am Herb Dean.

Thanks for your input.

Big fan! Love your work! But yeah you need to let these guys be warriors. As we know the fight isn't over until someone is laying on the grounded lifeless.

Big fan! Love your work! But yeah you need to let these guys be warriors. As we know the fight isn't over until someone is laying on the grounded lifeless.

Well, then I get the Dan Hardys.

But, I took care of him...

Herb-Dean.jpg

No, man. It's past that point. No respect for that bum. Get him the fuck away from the sport.

Lol no JR was done

Herbert doesn't get this is supposed to be Ultimate Fighting, tired of these stoppages ruining my enjoyment of violence and entertainment.

Back