WMMA haters reached a new level of stupid last night

If it ended like it should have, a first round domination with Yan getting choked literally unconscious at the end, it would have been awesome. As it turned out, meh, a decent match but not something to get excited over.
I mean that's not either woman's fault tho.

At this point I want them to just to shut you people up about suggesting it.

joke-went.gif

If it ended like it should have, a first round domination with Yan getting choked literally unconscious at the end, it would have been awesome. As it turned out, meh, a decent match but not something to get excited over.

I thought the fact that Weili gassed her arms going for those finishes, then got dropped by Yan for throwing leg kicks, and looked like she might potentially lose after basically winning, made the fight even more interesting.

Weili had to dig deep and battle back after the tide seemed to be turning in favor of a fighter who literally went to sleep during the fight.

It was wild.

The fight turned into something very compelling. Much better than anything I was expecting.

Thankfully I left the sports bar right before that fight started so I could get home in time to watch the main event. There's no way I was about to sit through that after the first 3 fights.

The 30 BILLION social media impressions(?) in China about the Yan vs Weili fight & Dana's reaction to it during the press conference means the people wanting WMMA to go away are likely going to be disappointed.
This always happens with female sports. They get huge upticks every few years then they regress back to nothing.

I couldn't believe the number of people shitposting in the PBP thread that Weili's fight was boring. It had one of the most dramatic sequences of events I've ever seen in a fight.

1. Weili smashes Yan and chokes her unconscious.

2. Yan wakes up at the end of the round and goes to her corner, where the commentators think they see the ref giving her illegal smelling salts to resuscitate her.

3. Weili smashes her again in the second round and people were speculating Yan may have been out again, from strikes. Yan wakes up and keeps fighting.

3. Third round, Weili is gassed and Yan takes over. What the fuck? This dominant champion, who may have beaten their opponent twice already tonight, might lose because of the craziest circumstances a fighter could find themselves in.

4. Weili digs deep and find her second wind, taking back the fight and attempting to finish Yan (again) right up until the final bell.

At no point was there laying and praying, or circling without action. This fight almost saw a dominant champion dethroned through the most ridiculous of circumstances, but the champ fought her way back to a dominant win. The story of this fight is objectively one of the craziest, most dramatic stories to ever play out in a fight. And people were complaining like there was no action, no sensational set of circumstances playing out, no incredible display of heart and determination on display... fucking ridiculous.

When you're so determined to hate WMMA that you can't say you're just not into it and have to pretend some completely different fight is happening right in front of your eyes... you've got a fucking problem with reality.

I fast forwarded through another 5 round decision. Might have been alright, not concerned.

I didn't watch the fight. Or the Andrade fight. Didn't even read this thread of a grown man crying that WMMA isn't as popular because it's not as good. I watched Harrison though. That was a cool fight :)

They were shitting on the fight before it happened, they can't let reality change their narrative.

Harrison v Holm was the only WMMA fight with the potential to be boring but man did Harrison deliver.
Harrison is a UNIT!

I didn't watch the fight. Or the Andrade fight. Didn't even read this thread of a grown man crying that WMMA isn't as popular because it's not as good. I watched Harrison though. That was a cool fight :)

That fight didn't count as a WMMA-fight though

Harrison is a BEAST!

It's a friggin' joy to see Harrison manhandle the opposition! What a clinic!

The fight was sloppy and almost absurd how gassed a champion was in the 3rd round. Not only that but throwing complete air punches like a mile away. Most championship level fighters would've finished Yan in the catatonic state she was in after the 1st.

Yan was completely recovered by the start of the 2nd. She wasn't catatonic lol.

And Zhang should have gotten the finish with that GNP. She landed like 20+ unanswered hard shots, and the ref didn't care.

Zhang was gassed from all that GNP. Any champion would have been.

It's objectively a terrible fight. The rest of the card is filled with top 10 fighters and this fight has two chicks who would literally get DESTROYED by amateurs in the same weight class. It doesn't belong.

Dumb talk.

Who cares if they're top 10 fighters? Zhang/Yan was way better than Aljo/Kattar.

And the rest of the card wasn't filled with top 10 fighters haha.

Cody, Miller, and Lopes aren't ranked at all, and we kicked off the PPV with Bo and Brundage of all people, both of which are definitely not ranked.

Green, Renato, Sodiq, and are all not in the top 10 either.

Back