• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

womens strawweight strategy

lowsingle

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no idea why any of them focus on striking. Very few if any have the power to rock their opponent on one strike, so why not focus on wrestling/grappling and bullrush them?

Its true MOST of the time at womens bantamweight, but even more so at straw weight. Nobody gets hurt by each other's strikes without a big drawn out combination or wearing them down over time. so it really comes down to whoever gets takedowns or simply throws more volume and " terminator" walks through their opponents single strikes.

It seems like a huge strategic error for anyone to fight like torres did, trying to throw low volume strikes at someone immune to your strikes and just trying to run you over. how was she planning on winning the decision if her opponent just kept throwing more volume and spamming takedown attempts?

I have no idea why any of them focus on striking. Very few if any have the power to rock their opponent on one strike, so why not focus on wrestling/grappling and bullrush them?

Its true MOST of the time at womens bantamweight, but even more so at straw weight. Nobody gets hurt by each other's strikes without a big drawn out combination or wearing them down over time. so it really comes down to whoever gets takedowns or simply throws more volume and " terminator" walks through their opponents single strikes.

It seems like a huge strategic error for anyone to fight like torres did, trying to throw low volume strikes at someone immune to your strikes and just trying to run you over. how was she planning on winning the decision if her opponent just kept throwing more volume and spamming takedown attempts?

ibeXKz8ij9nEKW.gif

ffd1M.gif

[YT]ezT00snWJkQ[/YT]

You sound like someone who has never seen a women's strawweight fight before.

i didnt say they didnt have the power to finish the opponent, but those were in long striking exchanges

if they just brock rushed them, do you think they couldve ko'd them before they crossed the pocket?

i didnt say they didnt have the power to finish the opponent, but those were in long striking exchanges

if they just brock rushed them, do you think they couldve ko'd them before they crossed the pocket?

You need to watch more WMMA. That's pretty much what we're leading up to in this discussion.

...and that is what a Fox Sports 1 Noob without access to prior Invicta events look and sounds like, ladies and gents.

TS idea isn't wrong here with relatively lower ko power for women in general ground battle should dictate most of the time. and in general I think top level wrestler/grapplers will have an advantage and it will always be an uphill battle for pure strikers. But there are still a lot of issues here.

1) Different ppl have different styles some are simply more talented at striking than wres/grap so it's not like everyone have the option to become top tier wrestlers. They can't just say oh am gonna become a Olympic level wrestler now. For some even if they want focus on it they will always be worse wrestlers than others.

2)skillsets, you can go for wrestling or you can become a striker with great tdd/foot work, if a wrestler can't take you down and you are clearly better striker you win like 95% of the time. Remember a wrestler is only great if they can dictate where the fight takes place but if they can't they are usually completely helpless(pure wrestler that is).

3) there are also some other issues such as size/strength, when a wrestler faces bigger/stronger opponent they are usually in big trouble but if you have some striking at least you have some chance of winning. Also if you simply faced better wrestler your screwed.

Lastly the whole wrestling/grappling dynamics for smaller fighters and women are different for example, for smaller fighter due to speed and movement can be hard to take down and hold down. Some women are really flexible and really hard to submit. Due to lack of weight things like top control is harder as well for example full mount can be a trap position you may be flip over to the bottom but if you have HW man even with minimal control skill its a lock for you etc etc.

Just to add 115er may have less power than 135 but they are faster with footwork so they are harder to trap and td as well. This is shown in men division such as comparing flyweight vs ww.

edit I see some regulars being harsh on TS like I said there are some truth to what ts is saying, Ronda is probably a good example, lacking power to threaten the td allows fighters to just bullrush and than dictate where the fight takes place etc but it's a bit more complicated than that

Last edited:

Because a lot of these strikers have either very good take down defense, guard games or clinches.

It's not always a smart idea to rush Jojo for example because 1) she has good TDD, and 2) You'll end up in her clinch game if you fail which is somewhere you don't want to be.

Joanne_Calderwood_vs_Norma_Rueda_Center_1.gif

TUF loss aside, Tecia's striking game has been effective in MMA so far because she has good movement and is very good at punching while moving backwards. She's also pretty strong so she isn't easy to take down from the clinch. Her ground game needs work though.

Felice_Herrig_vs._Tecia_Torres_1.gif

Rose is also a very good striker though she usually complements this with a very good ground game.

Also, a lot more women come in to MMA from boxing, kick boxing, and muay thai than from wrestling. If you look at these 16 fighters, this is definitely true. So, of course they want to stand and bang rather than spam takedowns.

Jarl

straight wrestlers in women's SW and AW are few, despite some of them are successful: I think Aguilar, Esparza and Kankaanpaa all have a background in wrestling and they use it a lot in MMA ... them apart, strikers and submission grapplers are more and in general seem more effective in those divisions.

TS is clueless.

0/10.

I'm not saying that because I'm a Torres fan either.

Tecia clearly lost that fight.

its only recently that lots of girls have started to wrestle in junior and high school. most females are entering mma from a striking base. it isnt a mystery.

Strawweights have more power P4P than bantaamweights and are much, much better strikers. Terrible post.

has it occurred to TS that the angle and target of the punch is just as relevant as the power in the punch? that striking improves the angling and timing ability of fighters?

Woman don't have man power ... they also don't have man-jaws either. Striking is effective.

Back