Worst Grappler in MMA with a BJJ Blackbelt

Probably shogun and jds. At least vitor tried an armbar to Jones.

Reactions: mkt
Chael Sonnen.

Couldn't defend a submission to save his life.

He improved a lot after that but level wise he was at most a blue belt, he started bjj at Gracie barra where he got black belt in 2019 i remember he was competing at metamoris 4 against galvao when he was a blue belt

Waaaaayyyy late imo.

Came to say Vitor, get him on the ground and it’s literally over, he got his BB from a cereal box for sure

Jacare, who gets finished in this position these days?
BoringLimpingCod-size_restricted.gif

Come on son, you had the reversal but left your arm in. Complete scrub.
I thought Jacare was the god of BJJ in MMA?

Probably shogun and jds. At least vitor tried an armbar to Jones.
Yeah, as much as people talked about Shogun's sweeps in Pride, they were non-existent in the UFC and he managed to get submitted by Forrest and Chael Sonnen...a guy who was known for being submitted himself. I still remember people saying Jon Jones--a BJJ white belt and still relatively green fighter at the time--would get swept and subbed by Shogun. It didn't exactly turn out like that.

He improved a lot after that but level wise he was at most a blue belt, he started bjj at Gracie barra where he got black belt in 2019 i remember he was competing at metamoris 4 against galvao when he was a blue belt

Waaaaayyyy late imo.
So it's not fair to count Chael who got a BJJ at the very end of his career. Vitor had his "black belt" when he started the sport at 19. I think it was mostly a ruse. Vitor had really fast hands when he was young and would rather fight standing. And snce the UFC was still pretty new, many guys were scared to take down any Brazilian, especially one with a BB. So it really worked in Vitor's favor. Of course Sakuraba didn't care about Vitor's belt. I always wanted to see Frank Shamrock vs. Vitor--Frank wouldn't have been intimidated by Vitor's "belt" either.

Swanson. Regularly gets top controlled and subbed or beaten down. Or Moises if you look at this fight and the Dariush one. Subbing MJ is like landing on Reem.

Really JDS? I feel like this is one of those threads where people read a response and everyone else just copies it. Dude has almost never been threatened on the ground, only lost one by sub very very early in his career. Just because someone doesn’t try for submissions doesn’t mean they are a bad black belt.

I was wondering the same thing while I was watching black belt Marion Reneaus performance against Miesha.

Back