Worst Soul Takings in UFC?

To me, aging fighters who started declining isn't really a "soul snatching". We all know that if a fighter stays in the game long enough that ultimately Father Time will catch up and take it's toll.

I see a soul snatching as derailing a very good fighter's career unexpectedly in his prime.

To me, the best example is Josh Grispi vs. Dustin Poirier. Grispi was in his early 20s, the WEC FW champ and was supposed to face Aldo for the UFC title. Aldo pulled out due to injury and Poirier stepped in and wrecked him. Grispi never won another fight. His life outside the cage spiraled out of control and as far as I know, he's still in prison on domestic violence charges. THAT is a soul snatching.

Not really a "soul taking" but he broke Hendricks for sure!

QE53.gif
Ultimate answer. Especially if it were the version with schaubs sould leaving....

.... Man, schaub is irritating af, af

Are "Soul Takings" only KOs or beatdowns as well. I say JDS vs Cain fights.

Sorry if it was already mentioned but my first thought was Anderson Silva/Rich Franklin.

Jose Aldo looked great immediately after facing Conor.

Rory lost his soul and fighting spirit in last Lawler fight. It was brutal for both, and Rory knew he had nothing else to give. He has never even been close to the same. It showed badly in the fight vs Moose

Rockhold vs. Weidman. The Chris was unbeaten and had just dethroned the greatest UFC champion of all time at the time. Got brutally finished and went on a skid he still hasn’t recovered from. But...
<StillMyBoy>

Andersen took Franklin's soul.

Condit broke Dan Hardy.

TJ broke Baroa and Cody

Edit - How did I forget Robbie breaking Rory?

It's either Griffin/Silva or Ronda/Holm

Griffin was broken by Silva and just seem to show up for a pay cheque after that. Ronda and holms doesnt need explaining

I cant tell you haven't been here long with that shit list.

Agreed. Chuck was already on the decline, which at his age at the time wasn't exactly unexpected.

I've watched every fight in Chuck's career multiple times. No, Chuck was never the greatest technician and yes, he always relied heavily on his chin and power. But, at the end of the day he was highly effective and that's all that really matters. MMA isn't point sparring.

I'd agree Chuck was never amazing technically, did always depend on his chin although I do think that after the loss to Randy he changed his style a bit. Randy basically won that match via getting Chuck to back up to the cage and taking him down were as come the rematches Chuck stood his ground and focused totally on the threat of the takedown.

Physically I'd say Chuck looked like he started to lose it after 2005 to me although honestly I don't think he was ever REALLY broken down until the recent comeback.

Back